Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

I am trying to reconcile this with the ship traveling at ~6 knots for the last two days.

Is the speed simply the result of an abundance of caution? Or is there damage that suggests a cautious speed is warranted?

I don't think heavy seas by themselves would dictate such a slow speed.

Any suggestions of possible reasons?

It's coming into port at 11.3 knots right now, not sure why they were at 6 for 2 days. Maybe tonight was the first chance to get into port, no need to steam into the mouth of the port and anchor for a day or so.

Very often coming into any port at any time, the ship arrives early but is not given permission to dock. Since the port authority designates when any ship may dock, the ship has to go pretty slow sometimes to stay out long enough to be able to dock. I have been on ships just on the way to a typical port on the itin where the ship sat out in the ocean for quite a while (usually in the wee morning hrs). It was announced several times that they have a dock time of 9:00pm, they cannot just wait around in the harbor til then. So they are timing the speed to co incide with their instructions. That's my guess, believe me, I am no authority:cool:

Edited by BecciBoo

Not wanting to speculate too much here but we're starting to hear that there maybe more serious damage than we can see. Nothing affecting the overall safety of the ship but perhaps enough to warrant more extensive repairs.

Not wanting to speculate you just did. Why don't you not say anything until you find out for sure. Thats what is wrong with this site is people like you. You know nothing so say nothing.

What about the radar though? I thought that should have helped.

Ipad and a fast internet connection is all they needed. Who doesn't have that on a large cruise ship?

Sat weather from above is all they need, radar can be blocked.

I use to get FAA Weather back in 1988 (on my first Night Cargo Job flying an AC-50) with a 300 baud modem. So slow you could see the type.

With today's equipment this should never happen!

CaptDave

Not wanting to speculate you just did. Why don't you not say anything until you find out for sure. Thats what is wrong with this site is people like you. You know nothing so say nothing.

Chill a bit, please.:) Remember that MYOPIK is actually a passenger on Anthem. He's telling us what he's 'heard' on the ship. Obviously passengers have been wondering about the slow speed into port. There's speculation. That's all. You need to take a breath, step down, and realize that what you said was inappropriate to a passenger on the ship posting here. Maybe you don't realize what's really wrong with this site.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I appreciate your attitude, and your willingness to post live reports. I don't disagree that it was a miserable experience, and at times you wished you were dead. Been there, done that, more times than I really care to think about, and way more than I've told the better half and kids about. And I'm sorry your vacation was ruined, but I truly believe that RCI nor the Anthem ever put you in real life threatening danger. Have a rest when you get home, you deserve it.

Oh. I'm pretty sure what I wanted to say was the diametric opposite of what you think. It was pretty bad. Never wished I was dead. Vacation will happen another time. Capt was brilliant and 100% correct with available info. This was something entirely different I wanted to talk about...something sane.

So is the Wisconsin cheese burger and fries platter on the lunch menu in the American Icon and it is at no extra charge unlike Michael's Pub burger. ;)

Didn't have as much time to try everything as I would have liked .😄. Next time.