Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Picture ID check coming back absolutely insistent that a passport photocopy was not acceptable from one of our UK group members. She had been told by Guest Services it was sufficient. Given a thorough dressing down by the Head of Security and allowed through.
Must have got Mr Grumpy :rolleyes:

I had no photo ID and they just asked for my cabin number and checked me off from a passenger list!

The carrying of photo ID was better highlighted after Dunedin we noticed - others obviously also were caught out.

They are always grumpy at Port Chalmers!, (I am sorry to say :o), We have also had a dressing down by Security! (Did not know we needed photo ID, none of the other NZ ports needed it) (and on our second visit a few years latter a Security guard yelled at me!).

Honestly, I am the last person you should be asking advice from with regards to the price of a watch and its value. Not a clue.

Lol - these watches are just fashion watches, no value just pretty. Was just wanting to know with these 'sales' do they mark them down like 10% or 50%? Don't worry if you didnt notice, just glad to know they have them. :)

Coming in to Melbourne this morning..... if you're of a mind you can see us on the webcam which is here.... select Station Pier.

It's a controllable webcam but I didn't get control of the webcam much as eventually there were more than 10 people waiting. And I was also trying to blow dry my hair so I don't look too much like Monica from F.R.I.E.N.D.S in the Caribbean..... only not as thin.... and with glasses.

Oceania Marina is in town with us

Oceania%20Marina%20at%20Station%20Pier%20.jpg

Solstice1.jpg

Solstice2.jpg

Solstice3.jpg

Beginning to turn

Solstice4.jpg

Solstice5.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I noted a photo of a tourist boat facing into a waterfall. The normal practice for this boat is to put the bow under the waterfall with passengers right up front under it. We were on a boat a few years ago that tried it but the skipper got cold feet at the last moment. Doesn't look like you guys have had the best of weather or sea conditions.

Mike

Melbourne. What a city! I've had a super day.

Getting tickets for local transport on the pier is easy. Bought Hoho ticket. The bus was waiting outside the port gates and left around 9am. We didn't need to change to the City route which was convenient. Two hours later I dismounted at the Queen Victoria Market

It's big. Very very big. They sell just about anything there, including chicks and hens....

I grab some fruit for lunch from the whole food / organic section.

There's a lot to see. Not quite convinced that all items for sale are genuine.

My friend from school appears.... I think its been 40 years. We walk and talk and talk and walk. I would never have seen much he showed me. Super time and of course many pics. Have a pic of 'Chloe'.

Currently sat on Hoho. Will take an hour to get back to pier so plenty of time. This city is heavy on traffic and pedestrians. This takes a different route back to Station Pier.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Glad you enjoyed Melbourne. Hope you got some great souvenirs, and I'm happy that our weather behaved so well for you.

I just returned home from a lovely hour long walk along the Port Melbourne beach path, and went as close as I could get to Solstice. Oceania Marina and the Tassie ferry were in the way for most of my walk, but it was a lovely view! I tried to spot 'my' cabin on the hump, and watched everyone coming and going from the ships. I only did this as I know I'll be on her in 5 weeks. If I wasn't it would be too depressing!

Shopping. So here's the thing. We walked into the gorgeous arcades and I spent nothing. If truth be told I went hunting for the Hard Rock Cafe (Jase if you say one word....ONE WORD...I'll be very very cross with you). But it's gone. Will have to wait till I get back to Sydney.

Sat in Cafe al Bacio with my cappuccino. That happy feeling, you know?

Thank you for all the wonderful pictures of the sounds. :)

They're stunning Bill. Different to Alaska's glaciers, no sounds of calving, but as lush and impressively beautiful. So peaceful too. Weather wasn't too bad Mike, could've been worse. The rain was brief. The wind was the thing really.

Shopping. So here's the thing. We walked into the gorgeous arcades and I spent nothing. If truth be told I went hunting for the Hard Rock Cafe (Jase if you say one word....ONE WORD...I'll be very very cross with you). But it's gone. Will have to wait till I get back to Sydney.

Linda, this may be of interest to you.

http://www.beat.com.au/music/hard-rock-caf-return-melbourne

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Linda, this may be of interest to you.

http://www.beat.com.au/music/hard-rock-caf-return-melbourne

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Did a search and it came up!!

So I'm 9 years too late....and 9 years ago I didn't have three grandsons who look adorable in those T shirts. Is the Sydney store still there? Looks like will be on an UGG-VS-HRC hunt on my return to Sydney.... Marina you interested in taking me shopping? ;)

They're stunning Bill. Different to Alaska's glaciers, no sounds of calving, but as lush and impressively beautiful. So peaceful too. Weather wasn't too bad Mike, could've been worse. The rain was brief. The wind was the thing really.

The glaciers in NZ are further north - not accessible by ship. They are really beautiful, up in the Southern Alps, not far from Mt Aoraki.

But you did at least sail in the sounds. We hear of so many cruises which cannot enter because of poor weather conditions.

Hard Rock Cafe does not seem to do very well in Australia. It's had several locations in Sydney. It's currently in Darling Harbour. Don't know what it's like - never been there. I know there are many devotees.

Did a search and it came up!!

So I'm 9 years too late....and 9 years ago I didn't have three grandsons who look adorable in those T shirts. Is the Sydney store still there? Looks like will be on an UGG-VS-HRC hunt on my return to Sydney.... Marina you interested in taking me shopping? ;)

If you are after genuine Uggs, make sure you go to the right place. However there are many copies. The originals are very expensive.

Read this to make sure you get the genuine article.

DSCN7173.jpg

DSCN7174.jpg

Hi Linda, loving your blog and all the info, but just wondering if you could do me a favour and try and post some current drinks/bar prices, as we are on next year and were trying to weigh up the drinks package versus pay as you go. Thanks in advance,

Bill.:)

If you are after genuine Uggs' date=' make sure you go to the right place. However there are many copies. The originals are very expensive.

Read this to make sure you get the genuine article.

Thanks x did not know about the tag x

heart.png

-----

Clocks go back half an hour tonight..... 2nd night running my left hip is giving me trouble.... with my luck I'll wake up in the morning and my hair will be all frizzy.....

Coming in to Melbourne this morning..... if you're of a mind you can see us on the webcam which is here.... select Station Pier.

It's a controllable webcam but I didn't get control of the webcam much as eventually there were more than 10 people waiting. And I was also trying to blow dry my hair so I don't look too much like Monica from F.R.I.E.N.D.S in the Caribbean..... only not as thin.... and with glasses.

Oceania Marina is in town with us

Oceania%20Marina%20at%20Station%20Pier%20.jpg

Solstice1.jpg

Solstice2.jpg

Solstice3.jpg

Beginning to turn

Solstice4.jpg

Solstice5.jpg

I have a strange question. Speaking of hair dryers. If I live in the U.S., 110 current, do we need to get a dryer for the ship or can we use adapters?