Happy Birthday Now OK to Sing

solocanadian

If I were celebrating my birthday on a HAL ship, I would feel it much more special if the stewards sang the Indonesian song.

The birthday song they sing on HAL is actually the original Dutch birthday song "Lang zallen ze leven, lang zallen ze leven, lang zallen ze leven in de gloria, in de gloria, in de gloria. Hiep hiep hoera!" Dutch melody, but the words they sing it in are Indonesian.

The birthday song they sing on HAL is actually the original Dutch birthday song "Lang zallen ze leven, lang zallen ze leven, lang zallen ze leven in de gloria, in de gloria, in de gloria. Hiep hiep hoera!" Dutch melody, but the words they sing it in are Indonesian.

That is so interesting! I never knew about that connection---thanks for filling in more of the tradition.

It is the melody of the song sung at all Dutch celebrations, not just birthdays:)