Divina or Norwegian Getaway

KarimaJ

I'm debating these 2 cruise lines, I have only been on RC and Disney so far. I want a cruise with a good daily activity program for us and my 11 year old. She loves the pools as well. Can someone give me any advice on which ships would be good for kids? She is an active girl and loves all things outdoors.

I was just on the getaway a few

Months ago. Going on Msc next month. If she loves the water slides its difficult to beat getaway. Free fall Slides were a blast!! Add that to the ropes course and the rock climbing wall, walk the plank, etc... and I'm thinking an active tween might appreciate ncl a bit more. Let me see if I can post the free fall

Slide.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Agree! Although we loved the Divina for us, I think the Getaway is better for kids. We took the Grandkids to Bermuda on NCL's Breakaway and they had a wonderful time. Of course they weren't with us on the Divina so I don't really know what MSC has for kids.

I'm debating these 2 cruise lines, I have only been on RC and Disney so far. I want a cruise with a good daily activity program for us and my 11 year old. She loves the pools as well. Can someone give me any advice on which ships would be good for kids? She is an active girl and loves all things outdoors.

I have the same issue with our family and children . Is it worth an extra $ 1600.00 in total ( approximately ) for water slides rope course ? The Divina will give us a balcony instead of an inside room. My logical side says no for now so it's the Divina unless a last minute deal appears before the final payment deadline.

Edited by Captain Underpants

I have the same issue with our family and children . Is it worth an extra $ 1600.00 in total ( approximately ) for water slides rope course ? The Divina will give us a balcony instead of an inside room. My logical side says no for now so it's the Divina unless a last minute deal appears before the final payment deadline.

This is my exact debate (and itinerary). We would like to do the Getaway Belize, Honduras but the MSC deal is good! My daughter loved the pictures of MSC and the looks of the pizza LOL. But I haven't heard much about activities for kids outside of the kids club. She doesn't usually like kids clubs. Decisions decisions....

Shows and entertainment are better on NCL (Breakaway). Food was better on Divina. For kids it's better on the Getaway because of pool activities. Indoor pool is a plus for the Divina in case the weather goes sour. Balcony cabin was a little bigger and layed out better on the Divina. Price is much better on Divina. Just booked the Divina for this May for a western sailing with a mid ship balcony at less than $1500.00 for two.:cool:

Oh wow that waterslide looks like so much fun. I'm going on the getaway as a solo in September. But came to check out opinions of the Divina because the deals are awesome and cheaper with me cruising solo. I don't have an opinion because I haven't sailed on either line yet.

The Getaway seems to offer more for the kids (and as someone said before, their water park will be hard to beat. The Divina has one smallish waterslide, and from what I've read it's pretty ho hum).

With that said, I doubt that your 11 year old will be bored on MSC. From what I read they still have PLENTY of activities for the kids. Just a bit more traditional.

We've been pricing several cruises, including NCL, Royal, Carnival, Disney, etc, and with the 2 for 1 balcony promotion and the kids sail free promotion, nobody comes anywhere near MSC. I mean the cost of ONE person on Disney is more than the total cost of our family of FOUR on MSC! And NCL is THREE times the cost of MSC. At those prices, I'm willing to overlook the smaller water slides! [emoji3]

Edited by Tapi

Thanks! I know what you mean by more "physical" activities for kids. What does MSC have to offer for kids? I am also looking at Carnival Glory for the itinerary but am afraid to try it based on the poor food reviews. Arg...But yes the price of MSC is very tempting.

I have been on both and must say if you are looking for more things to do for your daughter I would go with the Getaway. The food was a also a bit better on NCL.

That being said I preferred the rooms and the overall layout of the Divina. Also thought the evening shows were much more interesting and entertaining on the Divina.

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Cruised on Getaway last August and Divina past November. For kids activities, it's not even close; Getaway is a dream come true for active kids. The water slides, pools, and rope course are fantastic. The MDR on Divina is not as good as Getaway MDR; speciality restaurants are more numerous and better on Getaway. Cagney's Steakhouse is fantastic. Entertainment is better on Divina; new show every night and Broadway level entertainers. Best we ever enjoyed on many cruise lines. Drinks are less expensive on Divina. Both ships are beautiful, but my choice would be Gdtaway. That being said, we're cruising on Divina again this April; half the price of other cruise lines for a balcony room.

I have been on the Getaway and my family and I enjoyed it greatly and would do it again in a heartbeat...BUT, we are trying the Divina this year...why? Its simple. The price. If it was a matter of a couple hundred dollars Id be back on NCL...But with the constant kids sail free (not the NCL version where kids sail free only during the school year when they cant go) AND the 2 for 1 balcony. (they let you combine the offers) My family of 4 is spending 7 days on the Divina for about 1/2 the price as the 6 night Getaway cruise we were looking at the same week. I think we will like the Divina...I know we like the Getaway...but do we like it $1500 more?

Did you find the Divina dressier than NCL? Are you able to wear shorts at night on MSC like NCL?

I don't think Divina is dressier than NCL. Both expect you to wear long pants and collared shirt in MDR except on dress up nights. Shorts are always OK in buffet. And I saw people wearing shorts at the shows. We went to shows after early dining so I always wore slacks and collared shirt.

I don't think Divina is dressier than NCL. Both expect you to wear long pants and collared shirt in MDR except on dress up nights. Shorts are always OK in buffet. And I saw people wearing shorts at the shows. We went to shows after early dining so I always wore slacks and collared shirt.

Actually on NCL you can wear shorts and t-shirt in almost all restaurants, including at least one MDR and most specialty restaurants.

Edited by Mistizoom

Did you find the Divina dressier than NCL? Are you able to wear shorts at night on MSC like NCL?

Haven't been on the divina yet, but given that:

1) NCL does not have ANY formal nights while Msc has 2 formal nights on a 7 day sailing.

2) Getaway allows shorts in seven of nine restaurants at dinner for Each night of the cruise while MSC suggests pants in all restaurants for dinner - even on casual nights.

it appears that MSC is significantly "dressier" than NCL - at least in policy.

I can let you know my first hand experience between the two in a few weeks :)

Haven't been on the divina yet, but given that:

1) NCL does not have ANY formal nights while Msc has 2 formal nights on a 7 day sailing.

2) Getaway allows shorts in seven of nine restaurants at dinner for Each night of the cruise while MSC suggests pants in all restaurants for dinner - even on casual nights.

it appears that MSC is significantly "dressier" than NCL - at least in policy.

I can let you know my first hand experience between the two in a few weeks :)

Would love to hear your comparison!

Actually on NCL you can wear shorts and t-shirt in almost all restaurants, including at least one MDR and most specialty restaurants.

I don't think either cruise line will deny you access to MDR if you wear shorts, but you will be in a small minority. Most people wearing shorts head for the buffet. On NCL, we ate in specialty restaurants all but one night when we ate in MDR. I cannot recall seeing any men in shorts in the specialty restaurants. Shorts in the MDR sounds more like a Carnival thing; more casual.