No Plastic Bottles?

violetsmile

I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but it looks like the policy of bringing on bottles of pop/seltzer water has changed, and now you can only bring cans? I don't drink a lot of pop, but I usually would buy a couple 20oz bottles of Vernor's, my favorite ginger ale, for when I get motion sick (inevitable, even with a Scop patch on).

I don't really want--or need--to carry an entire 12 pack on. Can you bring loose cans outside of a pack?

Does anyone know what the ginger ale on board is? Regular Seagram's has Splenda in it these days, and as I'm not interested in triggering a migraine on a cruise, I'd have to pass on that.

You are correct: no more bottles, thanks to the alcohol smugglers. But yes, you can bring on loose cans. I don't know about the current brand of gingerale, but I would guess it's whichever one is made by Coke. That's just an uninformed guess, though.:o

You are correct: no more bottles, thanks to the alcohol smugglers. But yes, you can bring on loose cans. I don't know about the current brand of gingerale, but I would guess it's whichever one is made by Coke. That's just an uninformed guess, though.:o

Fair guess, and that's Seagram's. Guess I'll bring a few cans and hope they survive a flight ok!

Is there somewhere you can buy them after landing? I'd be afraid to put them in checked luggage on a flight.

I know...in theory it should be ok, but it makes me a little nervous, too. I guess it would be worth avoiding potentially wet luggage to cough up the whole $5 for a case once we're in FL and just leave the leftovers. So irritated by this change. I know it's minor and it's not going ruin our vacation or anything...but it's an inconvenience to not just be able to take one or two bottles.

I know...in theory it should be ok, but it makes me a little nervous, too. I guess it would be worth avoiding potentially wet luggage to cough up the whole $5 for a case once we're in FL and just leave the leftovers. So irritated by this change. I know it's minor and it's not going ruin our vacation or anything...but it's an inconvenience to not just be able to take one or two bottles.

I agree that it's an annoying inconvenience. It really peaves me that we all have to deal with this now because of the people that think the rules don't apply to them. The smugglers constantly say they're not hurting anybody by smuggling - well, wrong!:mad: They've made it so we are all more restricted in what we can bring. Sorry. Rant over.:o Good luck with your ginger ale and have a great cruise.:)

:p I love Vernors!:p

Seagrams and Canada Dry don't even come close.I brought 12-20oz bottles on the Breeze Miami June and August 2014. I haven't cruised since. I'm sorry to hear this for my cruise booked this May. Thanks for the heads up.

Why would they not survive a flight?

Rough baggage handling resulting in explosion would be my biggest concerns. I know the cabin pressure is consistent, but I've had a few things break and leak, during flights. Never tried having a can of anything but shaving cream in my checked luggage. It would probably be fine, but the more I think about it, the more I think just spending the money on a case when we get to Florida is worth the peace of mind.

I brought 8 small cans of ginger ale and the inspector in FLL looked at me like I was crazy. I said new policy is cans only and I have 8!! He just pushed my bag towards me and moved on. Our traveling companions brought the plastic and they were indeed confiscated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion: When you pack your cans, why not place them in a Ziploc or Hefty disposable bag and then place them in your luggage? If you don't feel that's enough then wrap them in a towel as well. Since I have to fly to the ports for the majority of my cruises I will do this to bring Pepsi because I'm not a Coke fan. Before I check in I simply take them out of the large luggage. I can then use the bag to bring back used underwear or swimwear. I purchase the extra large 2-1/2 gallon bags for this purpose. A 12 pack is too much for me so I would do this with a six pack..

Any know if you can bring larger cans, such as a 16oz energy drinks, they sell four packs. Thanks in advance.

That is difficult to answer only because it depends on port, port employee, and even the mood of the port employee that day. Some are lax, while some enforce the policy to a letter.

I have personally witnessed out of Baltimore a female not being allowed to carry-on 3 out of a 4-pack of those small Sutter Home 187ml wine bottled because the policy stated one bottle of wine, not to exceed 750ml, per person.

I have also carried on 5 bottles of liquor in my backpack when sailing out of San Juan with the port employee saying nothing except have a nice cruise with a wink and a smile.

Eliminating plastic bottle only cut out the novice smugglers. This was the perfect scapegoat for Carnival to eliminate bringing your own water and instead selling it for $2.99 for twelve and calling it a bargain. Carnival claims this did not help the bottom line but I take that with a grain of salt. Their water sales probably tripled since this implementation. And how does limiting one to only 12 oz cans instead of 16 oz help avoid smuggling? Obviously Carnival is trying to discourage people from wanting to bring their own non alcoholic beverages onboard.

Any know if you can bring larger cans, such as a 16oz energy drinks, they sell four packs. Thanks in advance.

I carried on a 4 pack of Rockstar through security out of Long Beach in November... no problems whatsoever, yet they confiscated my daughter's water bottle she was drinking from. No biggie.

2 weeks later... back at Long Beach, had 4 rockstars out of box and no problems.... friends with me had their water bottles confiscated before they went through security.

Rough baggage handling resulting in explosion would be my biggest concerns. I know the cabin pressure is consistent, but I've had a few things break and leak, during flights. Never tried having a can of anything but shaving cream in my checked luggage. It would probably be fine, but the more I think about it, the more I think just spending the money on a case when we get to Florida is worth the peace of mind.

We have sailed with cartons & indicidual cans; my theory is ziploc the ziploc, then I put in a compression bag & seal it. I protect all my stuff in compression bags- nothing like suntan lotion,someone else's busted liquid or heavy rainstorm soaking inside suitcase belongings.

We have sailed with cartons & indicidual cans; my theory is ziploc the ziploc, then I put in a compression bag & seal it. I protect all my stuff in compression bags- nothing like suntan lotion,someone else's busted liquid or heavy rainstorm soaking inside suitcase belongings.

I'm interested in the compression bags. What kind do you use? I just did a quick search on Amazon, and it looks like there are the rolling plastic kind (kind of look like big ziplocs) and then cylindrical bags for camping. I love a good travel accessory, so am curious what you use!

I don't drink a lot of pop, but I usually would buy a couple 20oz bottles of Vernor's, my favorite ginger ale, for when I get motion sick (inevitable, even with a Scop patch on).

The only problem I see in buying it after you get to Florida is that not all states carry Vernors. Son that lives in SC said they are finally getting it there.

It's not the smuglers. Or evil plot by carnival. It to protect us all from dangerous liquids being brought on board same as airlines.

Do you have some kind of inside information? Do you know this for a fact, or are you just guessing? If that were the case, why would they still allow bottles of wine?