Rome (FCO) airport check in time

arsenalboy

At the end of our cruise on Reflection we dock at cruise terminal at 0500, our flight from FCO is 1230.

I am in a quandary as to what time to prebook a transfer for?

I have read reviews on tripadvisor of people complaining of up to 3 hours to just get through security at the airport.

I would normally aim to get to airport 2 1/2 hours before departure. This would give me departure from Cruise Terminal at 0900 giving a leisurely disembarkation.

What would other people do?

We left Reflection last August and flew out of FCO at 11.45am. We used MyCabIn Rome for the transfers each way. They were great. The transfer back to airport was booked for 8.30am and was no problem with no hold ups. Similarly, our passage through FCO security was quick and uneventful.

FCO had had a major fire just before and wasn't fully operational in the terminal. It's probably better now but you don't want too much time to while away.

We left out of Rome airport in 2011 and had a horrible time. Large group of people going in different lines and we had no idea which line to get into. Made it through the first security and then had to go through another one. It was a hour at least. Could have been because we didn't go through the right line, but I saw other Americans in the same line as us. I suggest you give yourself plenty of time.

Last summer there was a major fire in FCO's Terminal 3, the largest and the the one used for most international flight arrivals and departures. Since then, things have been (slightly) more chaotic than usual.

If you are going back to the US from FCO, you will have an extra layer of security to go through -- you have to check in at Terminal 5 and clear that security, then you are bussed to Terminal 3 (usually). Due to the fire mentioned above, there have been extra airlines sharing the Terminal 5 space, making it even more of a mess.

Having typed the above, I now see you are from the UK. For UK flights, I think 2.5 hours is enough.

Edited by cruisemom42

You'll be fine with 2.5 hours.

In regards to the mess at Terminal 5, we flew out of this terminal in October. The airport workers wouldn't even allow us into the terminal until 3 hours before our flight, so if you arrive too early you'll be stuck standing outdoors.

From what I have read, people flying directly to the US have had major delays. Doesn't seem to be a problem if you are flying to Europe or Canada. I think the US departures use a different terminal.

I was flying to Canada and had to use Terminal 5 (which is the one that has delays). Air Canada used to fly out of Terminal 3, but due to the fire they moved to Terminal 5.