Motion sickness help?

j3000

Just preparing for our 4th cruise in April. Wife & I have never suffered from motion sickness on previous trips, but, god forbid if it might hit us this trip: what's the best thing to take for it? or best way to handle it? Just seeking any advice from you pros cruisers. Thanks.

Edited by jargey3000

Just preparing for our 4th cruise in April. Wife & I have never suffered from motion sickness, but, god forbid it might hit us this trip: what's the best thing to take for it? or best way to handle it? Just seeking any advice from you pros cruisers. Thanks.

Meclizine

We also take ginger capsules.

Eat green apples

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Just preparing for our 4th cruise in April. Wife & I have never suffered from motion sickness on previous trips, but, god forbid if it might hit us this trip: what's the best thing to take for it? or best way to handle it? Just seeking any advice from you pros cruisers. Thanks.

I have had this wrist band since I started cruising 10 years ago, it works very well for me. I didn't buy it from this store, but I'm sure you can google it and find it many places. I know it's pricey, but it has helped me, it also helped both of my daughters in law when they borrowed it: http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Motion+Sickness+Relief+Wrist+Band/203816?p=plist2470005&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping+PLAs+-+Medium&creative=9336293610&device=c&cm_mmc=CPC-_-bing-_-Shopping+PLAs+-+Medium-_-9336293610&mkwid=QayHQ7yV|pcrid|9336293610|pdv|c|

Meclizine

We also take ginger capsules.

Eat green apples

My wife is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness (she said as a kid she felt it even on a swing set) and she first tried the patches when cruising which gave her too many adverse side affects so she tried other options.

Meclizine (much cheaper generic version of "Bonine" or "Dramamine Less Drowsy") which is an antihistamine has allowed her to enjoy dozens of cruises...including crossing the Tasman Sea with near hurricane force winds & 20'-25' seas. The sedating affects may vary however she still enjoys wine with dinner & takes meclizine at night so if it makes her a little bit drowsy it's not a problem. It's a preventative measure & to be most effective follow the instructions to take it in advance.

The experts say it's best to be able to view outside however she prefers inside a dark room on the rare occasions when the effects get too severe & before her meclizine fully kicks in.

Edited by Astro Flyer

My wife is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness (she said as a kid she felt it even on a swing set) and she first tried the patches when cruising which gave her too many adverse side affects so she tried other options.

Meclizine (much cheaper generic version of "Bonine" or "Dramamine Less Drowsy") which is an antihistamine has allowed her to enjoy dozens of cruises...including crossing the Tasman Sea with near hurricane force winds & 20'-25' seas. The sedating affects may vary however she still enjoys wine with dinner & takes meclizine at night so if it makes her a little bit drowsy it's not a problem. It's a preventative measure & to be most effective follow the instructions to take it in advance.

The experts say it's best to be able to view outside however she prefers inside a dark room on the rare occasions when the effects get too severe & before her meclizine fully kicks in.

I've always been told to start the Meclizine a day or two before getting on the ship. If it's smooth sailing then you can stop. Nothing works if you are already sick except seeing the ships doctor for one of those expensive shots that seems to work pretty quickly

YES, meclizine! Many years ago we were on a small ship trying to go around a hurricane in the Pacific off the coast of Mexico (!!). Most of the passengers were sea-sick and the frontdesk was giving out meclizine like candy! They also had huge bowls of crackers and green apples out for folks to pick up. They even instructed people over the PA system to eat something to help. Since then we take meclizine every day of a cruise. Also bring along "ginger chews" , a spicy candy chew that works wonders almost immediately.

Edited by notus

I've always been told to start the Meclizine a day or two before getting on the ship. If it's smooth sailing then you can stop. Nothing works if you are already sick except seeing the ships doctor for one of those expensive shots that seems to work pretty quickly

It's better to take it too soon than too late. ;)

The directions say it "should be taken one hour before travel starts" but my wife begins taking it 12-24 hours in advance & it works well for her.

My wife and I are small boat sailors and have used meclizine for many years without any problems and with good effect. It does, however, make some people drowsy. I'd suggest, if you have never used it before, trying it before your trip just to see how you tolerate it.

As another who gets motion sick VERY easy I follow the above with the addition of ginger pills. Ginger is a natural anti nauseant and I use it in conjunction with the less drowsy dramamine. I start with a half dramamine 2 days in advance twice a day. Then i see what the seas are like. If calm then I take a ginger pill twice a day as a just in case. No side effects at all from ginger. If the seas roughen then I add a half dramamine back in. Works great for me.

Wife swears by ginger, pieces tea candy whatever firm, and green apples.

I used to get motion sickness and take all sorts of pills to try and stop it.

About 4 years ago we were on a 30 day South America cruise, I got sick went back to the cabin took the tablets and lied on the bed. An American friend that we had met on the cruise phoned the cabin to explain that he had a Relief Band that I was welcome to try, he brought to me and within half hour I was in the Horizon Court having lunch.

On my return to the UK, I immediately bought one, it is the best £100 I have spent and is the 1st thing to be packed when we go on our travels and I never need the pills.

It is called 'RELIEF BAND' make sure that you get the blue one as you can replace the batteries. There is a company in the UK that sells them and ship to over 100 countries. http://www.outdoorgb.com

I have always been one to get motion sickness since I was a kid and had a very bad experience on one of my first cruises. I went to the doctor's office onboard and waited in line for well over an hour with about 300 other passengers. When getting to the front to sign in, the nurse told me of a cure that would save me the cost of a doctor's visit and requested I come back if it didn't help. Well, more than 45 cruises after that, this is what I swear by:

SeaBands -- it works on the premise of acupressure and will cost you about $5 - $10 per pair, I have seen them on cruise ships, Costco, Walmart, CVS drug stores, etc

Ginger tablets -- you can just buy these at your local drug store for under $5 for 100 capsules (just ground, dried ginger)

Green apples while onboard -- and saltine crackers

Do not over eat or have too many liquids in your stomach, including both alcohol or non-alcoholic drinks -- so ginger tablets but not ginger ale (especially if it doesn't contain real ginger)

Go outside and get some fresh air blowing in your face

Lay down and keep your eyes closed if you get to the past the point of return stage

Get moving -- take a walk on the deck or go dancing

Avoid the bow of the ship up on the top deck, especially if indoors

Best location is down low and midship

If all else fails, Dramamine works best for me, the one that is NOT the less drowsy one seems to work better but that could just be me

Meclizine all the way. We buy it online @ $5.00 for 100 25 mg chewable doses. We take it upon boarding and every 12 hours thereafter. Dramamine less drowsy is meclizine. 46 cruises later, still works great. Bon Voyage!

Harry

My wife uses meclizine which is the much less expensive generic of those brand names.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was one who ended up in the medical center the first night of a Hawaiian cruise in '07.I was dehydrated and was on IV fluids for 2 1/2 hrs. needless to say after that experience I found Bonine. It contains meclizine and it works for me. I was told to take it two days before cruising. I take one tablet everyday on the cruise.

On our April '15 cruise to Hawaii the first night out was so rough I held onto my husband so we wouldn't fall out of bed (I'm not kidding). The next day I swear people were green!! Thankfully, I didn't get seasick which I considered a miracle the way the ship was rocking.

There are many good suggestions from the posters. Hopefully you won't need anything but in case you do you can see what works for others. Enjoy your cruise.

Carol

Meclizine all the way. We buy it online @ $5.00 for 100 25 mg chewable doses. We take it upon boarding and every 12 hours thereafter. Dramamine less drowsy is meclizine. 46 cruises later, still works great. Bon Voyage!

Harry

As a person who gets seasick watching boats/ships on TV, I'll add my vote for Meclizine. It has literally changed my life. It allows me to ride in the back seats of cars, on buses, and, most importantly, cruise ships!

I start taking it the day before sailing and continue to take two/day for the duration of the cruise. I don't experience any problems with drowsiness, but I do get occasional "dry mouth" as it is an antihistamine. My husband gets by on 1 per day. I get them from Amazon.

My wife and I are small boat sailors and have used meclizine for many years without any problems and with good effect. It does, however, make some people drowsy. I'd suggest, if you have never used it before, trying it before your trip just to see how you tolerate it.

I was going to suggest try a whale watch trip of even a dining option on a nice lake.