Help. Silhouette vs Caribbean princess

bwg03

Taking a group of 7 including my wife, brother and his wife, parents and my sister on a thanksgiving cruise.

Caribbean princess has 8 nights that go to Curaçao, Aruba, and Bonaire.

Celebrity silhouette is typical PR, ST Thomas. ST Maarten.

Is there a huge difference between the two. We have been on silhouette and loved it but have never been on princess. The appealing point of princess being one night longer and better ports.

Any thoughts or opinions!

You can't go wrong with Southern Caribbean ports.... & an extra day. Both ships are vastly different. As you know , on Celebrity the Solstice class ships are the epitome of modern, similar in style to a W Hotel. The Princess ships have a very traditional ocean liner feel. From my recent experiences on both lines (based solely on my perception) I think Celebrity is downgrading their food and service. On a Eclipse cruise the ship was gorgeous with a huge "wow" factor but the service was atrocious. On my recent Crown Princess cruise the ship was very comfortable in a masculine mens club kind of way & the service and food were nearly flawless - solid 8/10.

We did a Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Roatan and Belize) in 2014 and a Silhouette cruise (PR, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts) in 2015 and they were both fun. Totally different though. Hubby and I agree that the Silhouette cruise was the BEST cruise we've been on and had the best food. The Princess cruise was fine and the food was okay, but the Silhouette was top notch. Just an okay cruise on Princess isn't stopping us from trying again, we are booked on the a Ruby Princess to Mexico April 8, 2016, and on the Celebrity Summit to the Southern Caribbean in April 2017. We will probably also buy some future cruise credits on Princess for one of the 10 day partial Panama Canal transit cruises when we are on the Ruby in April.

Edited by dara90210

There's no major differences between the two lines. Similar policies, similar demographics, similar activites (bingo, trivia, production shoes, comedians, etc) Difference lie more in the specific ships. Silhouette is much newer, more modern decor, more specialty dining options (at much higher prices), more modern spa, etc. Caribbean Princess is lovely, but older ship, more traditional slightly dated decor, fewer specialty dining options (which are great, and lower cost, ie Steakhouse is $25 pp over Silhouette Tuscan Grill at $45 or so, etc)... We've sailed both and like them fairly equally.

The room layout is quite different when comparing similar categories. We really like Princess's closet and bathroom set up in regular cabins -, more of a ealk-in closet with the bathroom door set in the area, so if one is an early riser they can dress in the closet area, etc without disturbing the other passenger...and more storage in the closest. However, trade off is no couch in balcony and below cabins, unlike Silhouette... Cabin size in general is similar, just different uses of space. Mini-suite on Princess are quite spacious with a sitting area, two TVs, etc - but no extra perks beyond welcome glass of sparkling wine and bathtub in bathroom - unlike Silhouette's Sky suites with the suite perks...

All in all, we enjoy both pretty fairly - and as such we book on itinerary and price. If price I'd similar - longer itinerary and ABCs all the way over the typical worn out standard Eastern itinerary...

I would pick the Caribbean Princess for the ports. The Princess ships have many little spots that make the ships very pleasant. You have to look for them

I am a fan of Adagio's bar and the aft pool area. Plus movies under the stars is one of my favorites.

I haven't yet been on Celebrity but think they're next after our Allure cruise in November.

But, for me, ports win on this one.

I love Princess, but I'd say don't expect the Caribbean Princess to be modern and sleek like the Silhouette. It's an older ship and can feel crowded. I suggest you read some reviews before making a decision. I think the Princess itinerary is better. I have some friends who went on the Caribbean in October and were disappointed. I had another friend who just returned and thought it was great. I have to say it won't seem as crowded on a warm weather cruise which you're booking.