Nieuw Amsterdam MDR seating plan

retiredkid

Both levels. The open seating portion is lower level, while fixed seating is on the upper level.

I'm confused, the ? Was "as you wish", how can it be both when you said upper is fixed and lower is open, which to me is "as you wish"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"As You Wish" includes Fixed Dining on the Upper Level. ;)

I guess when most on the upper level folks "wish" to eat on that level you can call it "as you wish"?

If the "open seating" folks enter on the lower level why not the upper level also?

If you read my response I said "some" may eat on the upper level but they are usually brought up the steps.

Now I am confused?

It's kind of a play on words. You're not the first person to be confused. :D

Per the "Know Before You Go" HAL document:

AS YOU WISH® DINING

Our As You Wish dining lets you select the venue and style that suits you. Choose from a festive five-course affair, a quick casual dinner for two or an intimate meal in the privacy of your stateroom.

DINING VENUES

The Elegant Main Dining Room:

1. A luxurious dining experience in a room graced with fine art and antiques.

2. Five-course menus feature offerings from classic preparations and regionally inspired cuisine to vegetarian options.

3. Choose traditional pre-set seating and dining times or a flexible open schedule — the choice is yours to make prior to departure for your cruise.

Flexible Open Dining: Open dining times are 5:15pm to 9:00pm. The same gracious service and sophisticated five-star dining experience is featured, as it is in pre-set dining. If you choose the flexible, open-seating program in the main Dining Room, you may make reservations by calling the dining reservation number on board or simply come to the Dining Room during dining hours.

Classic Pre-Set Dining: The traditional pre-set dining times are 5:45pm and 8:00pm in the main Dining Room. You may request seating time, table size and indicate with whom you wish to dine. All such requests should be made before sailing through your travel advisor. Requests will be confirmed or waitlisted at the time of booking. Table number and table size are on request only, and will be assigned by the Dining Room Manager on board. The status of your seating request will be listed on your Cruise Contract. Your seating assignment will be noted on your guest card upon boarding.

Please Note: You may choose either flexible/open dining or classic pre-set dining in the Main Dining Room, at the time of booking.

HAL calls its entire main dining room program "As You Wish". Theoretically it means that everyone can get the seating they wish. The lower main dining room level caters to those who wish to have open, or flexible, seating. The upper main dining room is available for those who wish to have a fixed table and dining time.

I see that shrimpboat gave you a far better and more comprehensive description straight from HAL's website:)

It's kind of a play on words. You're not the first person to be confused. :D

Per the "Know Before You Go" HAL document:

AS YOU WISH[emoji768] DINING

Our As You Wish dining lets you select the venue and style that suits you. Choose from a festive five-course affair, a quick casual dinner for two or an intimate meal in the privacy of your stateroom.

DINING VENUES

The Elegant Main Dining Room:

1. A luxurious dining experience in a room graced with fine art and antiques.

2. Five-course menus feature offerings from classic preparations and regionally inspired cuisine to vegetarian options.

3. Choose traditional pre-set seating and dining times or a flexible open schedule — the choice is yours to make prior to departure for your cruise.

Flexible Open Dining: Open dining times are 5:15pm to 9:00pm. The same gracious service and sophisticated five-star dining experience is featured, as it is in pre-set dining. If you choose the flexible, open-seating program in the main Dining Room, you may make reservations by calling the dining reservation number on board or simply come to the Dining Room during dining hours.

Classic Pre-Set Dining: The traditional pre-set dining times are 5:45pm and 8:00pm in the main Dining Room. You may request seating time, table size and indicate with whom you wish to dine. All such requests should be made before sailing through your travel advisor. Requests will be confirmed or waitlisted at the time of booking. Table number and table size are on request only, and will be assigned by the Dining Room Manager on board. The status of your seating request will be listed on your Cruise Contract. Your seating assignment will be noted on your guest card upon boarding.

Please Note: You may choose either flexible/open dining or classic pre-set dining in the Main Dining Room, at the time of booking.

Page 19 of the 2016/2017 Cruise Book!

3f0f921399fc4f28ff41b7e5d52fcd5f.jpg

As you've discovered, "As you wish dining" is an umbrella term that covers both fixed and open dining in the main dining room, as well as the other options of Lido, Canaletto, Pinnacle, and Tamarind restaurants. It even includes room service since you can order from the room service menu, as well as the dining room menu during dinner hours.

When the Koningsdam is introduced, there will be even more choices for those who wish to try them!

As you've discovered, "As you wish dining" is an umbrella term that covers both fixed and open dining in the main dining room, as well as the other options of Lido, Canaletto, Pinnacle, and Tamarind restaurants. It even includes room service since you can order from the room service menu, as well as the dining room menu during dinner hours.

When the Koningsdam is introduced, there will be even more choices for those who wish to try them!

My initial comment then holds true if you read my last post. The lower level receives Open Seating folks since there is a Dining Room attendant to receive non/ fixed diners. The upper level does not have a attendant since at the early and late fixed dining you just go to your table.

I also mentioned in my initial post that some Open Seating folks may come to the upper level but very few.

I know the process so no need to beat this to death!

The confusion is Open Seating vs Fixed

I wish that HAL would scrap the "As You Wish" phrase and refer to the alternative to Fixed/Traditonal as Open/Anytime!

Tell them that your wish is that they use terms that are clear to the reader. ;)

My experience last summer on the Maasdam was that flexible meant we were better off making reservations ahead of time in the MDR. We usually got in about the same time, 7:00/7:30. It worked well for us since we were a party of four. We're doing the same in March but now we know we need to make reservations ahead of time. That way we didn't have a wait time.