Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

We like both. Our last cruise was on RCI, we have a Princess cruise coming up in Feb.

They are more alike than different.

One huge difference is their websites. The Celebrity website stinks. Poor design, poor performance. Abysmal compared to the Princess web site. The only web site as bad, or perhaps worse than Celebrity is HAL.

We like both. Our last cruise was on RCI, we have a Princess cruise coming up in Feb.

One huge difference is their websites. The Celebrity website stinks. Poor design, poor performance. Abysmal compared to the Princess web site. The only web site as bad, or perhaps worse than Celebrity is HAL.

Cunard's website is TERRIBLE, probably the worst I have ever seen and MSC has so many glitches that it can be infuriating at times! You can create a sign-in and password, but it will NEVER EVER WORK! You have to find a round about way to find your bookings and then it's actually not too bad! ;):rolleyes:

Thank you! As a single mom who has worked hard to take her two teens on the Royal in a few weeks I was starting to get nervous with all the bad reviews.

I've cruised many lines and many times in my life but this will be my first time on Princess.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your review, Norris. Thank you!

Thank you for reading it!

If it has made you less concerned about taking your first Princess cruise then I achieved my objective- to give X cruisers a sampling of what PCL has to offer and vice versa. I sail happily on both lines and I hope you do too!

Let me know how it goes on the Royal by popping back in here after your cruise.

Cheers!

Norris

so far what I have read is very interesting. I have to come back to finish reading the pages.

I was on both these ships and just booked the Crown Princess for a March sailing.

I love the MUTS that Princess offers. I enjoy laying by the pool in the day and listening to a concert and going up at night for a movie.

As far as restaurants I have to say I like Celebrity better...especially their specialty restaurant Qsine. It was amazing.

Thank you for your review...I am looking forward to finishing reading it.

Have a great day!

Mary

I experienced the X website this morning to make Final Payment for a cruise on the Reflection in January.

I abbreviated the word Street in my address to St. but it wouldn't allow the period. Then after paying the full amount asked for it says I still have $230 to pay for the gratuities (which are free for our suite booking). On the statement it shows a charge of $230 followed by a refund of $230 which cancels it out but now I have to call them to have the erroneous fee wiped off the slate otherwise they will cancel the booking tomorrow.

The website is the work of an amateur in his bedroom somewhere reading "build a website for $10"

Sigh.

Norris

Hey Bimmer09,

That's a very interesting thread I just became aware of now... :eek:

It is really interestint for me to read through it - I really loved Crown and Emerald Princess and really look forward to Star Princess in March 2017.

Looking back IMHO Princess has been better than Celebrity in some cases, such as food and service especially - I have been on Millennium and Summit and also really liked the ships as such.

At the time of cruising on them I thought there's nothing better than Celebrity - but to be honest, I even found NCL to be very comparable and as good as Celebrity, regarding main dining room dinner and service quality!!

There is one point where I am different than you: Pools - IMHO the Grand-Class-ships of Princess are unbeatable here, as well as in the ships layout.

I love the five pools on those ships, the passenger flow is mixed up VERY WELL here ddue to the many different pool and deck areas, and it never feels crowded at any time.

Although I just know Millennium Class, the pool layout actually is similar to S-Class, with two mid pools and one Solarium. Since those areas are rather bundled, in a smaller space there are more people, so in my opinion it felt more crowded than on Crown/Emerald Princess. :)

So with those observations I am really interested how it will be on Princess (and HAL) next year, but actually I consider Princess to be the best cruise line among the mass market...

No one beats Princess for the number of available and spread out pools.

What I liked about the X pools is that there were shaded areas with beds for two to lounge on. Shade on Princess under the deck overhangs has tables and chairs for eating. X has a lot of lounging furniture which Princess doesn't and a swim shop right on deck.

The Solarium was another great touch, with the Aqua Spa Cafe right there.

I have just finished a review of the Star. You might want to read that when you have time.

Cheers and thanks for the comments!

Norris

Hello Bimmer09,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, with the fact that Celebrity might provide more seating areas or shaded places you might be right.

For me it was rather about the plenty of pools and the ships layout, but here it's visible that everyone has different points of view... ;)

I have already started to read through your review of Star Princess, really look forward to her - let's see how I will like her, compared to Emerald and Crown... :)

I really can not remember enjoying a thread as much as this one. It was like a good book! you just wanted to keep reading. Thank you Norris for the time and thought put into it, it was much appreciated!

Thank you! It's very nice to get home after 10 hours away from the computer and read this and the other kind remarks from people I don't know.

I have written a lot of stuff on CC over the past 5 years and I am always flattered when someone reads it (the stuff) and responds.

I try to write it to read quickly and severely edit the desire to ramble at great length as I have so many photos to get through. I had a friend once who got me the job with RCCL playing drums on the Song of Norway 30 years ago and at home in London he and I had a habit of speaking to each other in Shakespeare -speak and it took forever to say anything as our language was so flowery.

I still laugh at the thought of it-the labyrinthine sentences in Olde English just to ask it he would want a cup of tea and some biscuits.

I'm glad you liked the read. Read some more on the long winter nights ahead...

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, I just started your Silhouette review and feel like I am reading a book you cant put down.

Great so far and very informative..:)

Thanks Janetz!

It's a long one but the ship and ports demanded it.

It is my most-read review and people like yourself are finding it 9 months after it was written. I look forward to sailing on the Silhouette again in the future.

Thanks for the compliments!

Norris

I just found this thread and have really enjoyed it. My wife has been after me to do a Celebrity cruise. I think I may give it a try.

Jim, thanks for reading the review!

I hope you are swayed to try X.

Norris

Do you have any experience with cruising in an aqua or sky suite? My wife is interested these two categories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Jim, my Silhouette review was written from an aft Sky suite perspective.

Norris

Thank you for this. I'm in process of picking the next 'big' cruise and having been on Princess and X, I pretty much agreed with your entire post....it will be a tough decision. I'm currently comparing arrival and departure times, and then cost. Either way we win. I have to admit that I love the Piazza on Princess and I like the specialty dining on X...oh and the Sunset Bar on X...here we go, may come to a coin toss or the availability of sushi LOL.

Norris is one of my 2 favorite CC posters. I say 2 favorites because it's a tie - they both are great and have slightly different (but both great!) writing styles and slightly different (but both great!) perspectives.

Well, to he honest maybe I have to lean a bit toward Norris for 2 reasons: (1) his wonderful photos led me to a very nice yet moderately-priced on-land/underwater "amateur" camera and (2) his CC name is bimmer09 and we have our bimmer15 and bimmer16... [emoji41]

so far what I have read is very interesting. I have to come back to finish reading the pages.

I was on both these ships and just booked the Crown Princess for a March sailing.

I love the MUTS that Princess offers. I enjoy laying by the pool in the day and listening to a concert and going up at night for a movie.

As far as restaurants I have to say I like Celebrity better...especially their specialty restaurant Qsine. It was amazing.

Thank you for your review...I am looking forward to finishing reading it.

Have a great day!

Mary

Mary, thanks for taking the considerable time to read my comparison.

Yes MUTS is a Princess Home Run for sure. And I agree about the Specialty restaurants on Celebrity outclassing and outnumbering the Princess ones. There is a considerable uncharge though that doesn't go amiss with Princess cruisers who have been used to $25 and now $29 pp.

We will have our first Qsine experience in January. Do you have any favorite dishes there?

Norris

Ok I'll look for it. Thanks for answering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

No looking needed Jim- it's in my signature on every post I write. I think it's down on page 3 or 4 of the X board by now.

It's a long read but you probably already guessed that!

Norris

I have only been on one Celebrity cruise and several Princess. For me, Princess, hands down!

Susan I think Princess is very hard to beat. However I loved my first X experience and am happy to try more. I needed a change. The food and service were top notch for the most part (MDR a disappointment but I only ate there on the last night with a circus-clown wait team). The ship was stunning.

Norris

Thank you for this. I'm in process of picking the next 'big' cruise and having been on Princess and X, I pretty much agreed with your entire post....it will be a tough decision. I'm currently comparing arrival and departure times, and then cost. Either way we win. I have to admit that I love the Piazza on Princess and I like the specialty dining on X...oh and the Sunset Bar on X...here we go, may come to a coin toss or the availability of sushi LOL.

I lived at the Sunset bar for a week....

I agree- either way you win with these two lines (based on my limited X experience but they made a great first impression)

For the Suite Passenger though X is really raising the bar in pampering.

Thanks for reading and for responding!

Norris