Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Thanks Kim, I'll be interested to see if your consideration becomes a booking and to see how you enjoy your cruise when it comes around. When do you think this might happen? You'd be adding another 18 ships and many itineraries to your portfolio!

As you can see on this board there are many passionate Princess cruisers-and for good reason. You've already got two great choices but a third won't hurt!

Norris

Norris, which P ship would you recommend me trying first?

To be honest there are none I would shy away from, besides the Royal and Regal.

Pacific is very small (680 pax) so not your cup of tea if you are looking for lots to do on board....but any of the Grand Class ships with the Ruby (2008) a safe bet and the Grand (1998) the one least attractive to me as it lacks a panorama view bar called Skywalkers.

It depends which ship(s) are sailing where you want to go, when you want to go.

I've covered 7 different P ships in my reviews and would gladly sail any of them again.

I hope this helps!

Norris

Thanks for posting this comparison, Norris. I just spent the weekend running through the thread and enjoyed it immensely.

I've only ever cruised on Princess but have started to look around at other lines -- not because I'm dissatisfied with Princess but rather just to "see what I'm missing". Your comparison has convinced me to consider giving Celebrity a try.

Thanks.

Pacific is very small (680 pax) so not your cup of tea if you are looking for lots to do on board....but any of the Grand Class ships with the Ruby (2008) a safe bet and the Grand (1998) the one least attractive to me as it lacks a panorama view bar called Skywalkers.

I've covered 7 different P ships in my reviews and would gladly sail any of them again.

I hope this helps!

Norris

Norris

There is another class of Princess ship - the Coral and the Island.

They are a little smaller than the Grand Class but have most of the amenities.

(Plus a BEAUTIFUL indoor spa pool)

The Island had a retrofit last year that a lot of people don't like so I guess I would recommend the Coral .

But, in the end, doesn't itinerary determine which ship ?

I hope this helps!

Norris

For your wonderful reviews and comparison. DW and I are Elite on both Celebrity and Princess, and would willingly sail on any ships of these lines. Neither is perfect, but they each have much to offer. We last sailed on the Eclipse with friends who have only sailed Princess before, and they loved the cruise, as well as the ship. We sail with other friends who insist on Princess only, and that makes us happy as well.

Whichever has the best deal on where we want to go, when we want to go! I firmly believe that the tastiness of the food on board is directly related to the executive chef. Some of them have that special touch, and make the food taste better. Also, listen to your waiter. If he shakes his head while you are ordering, get something else. The waiters know which dishes do not get finished, or returned to the galley.

Now, my only disagreement with you is on this reply. Do not steer people away from the Royal or Regal Princess. Next month, we will be on our second Royal Princess transatlantic. Yes, the balconies are smaller (but not too small), and the promenade does not wrap around, but there are so many other things to recommend the Royal class. She is drop-dead gorgeous, and the buffet area is unbelievable.

Thanks again for the entertaining thread. For all the readers out there, whether you choose Princess or "X", you won't be disappointed.

Stan

Norris

There is another class of Princess ship - the Coral and the Island.

They are a little smaller than the Grand Class but have most of the amenities.

(Plus a BEAUTIFUL indoor spa pool)

The Island had a retrofit last year that a lot of people don't like so I guess I would recommend the Coral .

But, in the end, doesn't itinerary determine which ship ?

Yes, the Panamax Class. We sailed on the Coral for our first Princess cruise in 2011. She doesn't have aft suites so is off my list for now . The Island is another botched Princess design job so I'll pass on her. She does have a few aft suites though.

Itinerary is a prime consideration but I love me a beautiful ship with a thoughtful design (Coral qualifies but not the Royal and Regal IMHO) If they would only bring the Diamond or Sapphire back where they belong....sigh.

If itinerary was my be all and end all I might end up on a Carnival ship-and that's not going to happen.

Norris

We agree - the ship itself is at least as important to us as the itinerary because, after all, it is a cruise vacation and we could otherwise fly and stay...

We know for a given price and date the mix of importance - ship versus itinerary - is a sliding scale where for some it's a lot more about the ship, some it's fairly even, and others still it's more about the itinerary.

As sea day lovers we personally skew more toward the ship end of the scale and would be happy with a great ship and a CTN. In fact, our next cruise is a 15-day Hawaii (even though we've been to all the Hawaiian Islands before) because we live the ship, the aft suites, and all those gloriously restful sea days! :cool:

The Piazza was lovely. I'm just amazed no one went head over heels down those stairs!

On one of our Princess cruises, that stairway was the line to disembark. It was a couple of years post 9/11 and I couldn't get my head around the no liquids, etc. So there we were, with a small and medium wheeled bag on a marble staircase. Brilliant!

All did survive, but barely.

Sorry Norris, please continue.

For your wonderful reviews and comparison. DW and I are Elite on both Celebrity and Princess, and would willingly sail on any ships of these lines. Neither is perfect, but they each have much to offer. We last sailed on the Eclipse with friends who have only sailed Princess before, and they loved the cruise, as well as the ship. We sail with other friends who insist on Princess only, and that makes us happy as well.

Whichever has the best deal on where we want to go, when we want to go! I firmly believe that the tastiness of the food on board is directly related to the executive chef. Some of them have that special touch, and make the food taste better. Also, listen to your waiter. If he shakes his head while you are ordering, get something else. The waiters know which dishes do not get finished, or returned to the galley.

Now, my only disagreement with you is on this reply. Do not steer people away from the Royal or Regal Princess. Next month, we will be on our second Royal Princess transatlantic. Yes, the balconies are smaller (but not too small), and the promenade does not wrap around, but there are so many other things to recommend the Royal class. She is drop-dead gorgeous, and the buffet area is unbelievable.

Thanks again for the entertaining thread. For all the readers out there, whether you choose Princess or "X", you won't be disappointed.

Stan

Stan, thanks for reading and responding!

X and Princess as you (and I) say are both very good cruise lines for the person who likes civility and relaxation.

With regards to me steering people away from the Royal and the Regal, the only people I am trying to steer away are Carol and I, and so far I am doing a bang-up job.

One of the things that bother me is the Lido deck and the pools and that goofy platform for the water and light show. If you are reading the excellent ScubacruiserX2 review on the Regal you'll have seen his video of the Michael Jackson Light and water show. Watched by several crew members. An utter waste of space where another pool could have been. Crown Grill that joins the Wheelhouse Bar...don't get me started. While there are more appealing ships afloat I'll not get excited about sailing on either-BUT I am glad that others, such as yourself, enjoy those ships as I would get no satisfaction from either of them sailing empty. Celebrity got it right in 2007 when they began the process of bringing the S Class into being. I don't think Princess did in 2012.

Agreed that the Executive Chef sets the tone for the quality of dining onboard. Some are very passionate about food preparation and others are picking up a paycheck.

Cheers!

Norris

Stan, thanks for reading and responding!

X and Princess as you (and I) say are both very good cruise lines for the person who likes civility and relaxation.

With regards to me steering people away from the Royal and the Regal, the only people I am trying to steer away are Carol and I, and so far I am doing a bang-up job.

One of the things that bother me is the Lido deck and the pools and that goofy platform for the water and light show. If you are reading the excellent ScubacruiserX2 review on the Regal you'll have seen his video of the Michael Jackson Light and water show. Watched by several crew members. An utter waste of space where another pool could have been. Crown Grill that joins the Wheelhouse Bar...don't get me started. While there are more appealing ships afloat I'll not get excited about sailing on either-BUT I am glad that others, such as yourself, enjoy those ships as I would get no satisfaction from either of them sailing empty. Celebrity got it right in 2007 when they began the process of bringing the S Class into being. I don't think Princess did in 2012.

Agreed that the Executive Chef sets the tone for the quality of dining onboard. Some are very passionate about food preparation and others are picking up a paycheck.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, nice that we can both find things that we like on cruise ships. Pat and I are not sunbathing, swimming pool folks, so we love the piazza area, can always find a nice quiet spot on the Royal Princess where Pat can do her needlework, and I can read my book, and while it may not seem like much, we love the fact that Princess has lots of tables out on deck, while X does loungers only.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla (read Pr and X).

Thanks again for your fantastic comparison. We agree on 90% of what you said, and we agree 100% that cruising is the way to go.

Stan

Norris, nice that we can both find things that we like on cruise ships. Pat and I are not sunbathing, swimming pool folks, so we love the piazza area, can always find a nice quiet spot on the Royal Princess where Pat can do her needlework, and I can read my book, and while it may not seem like much, we love the fact that Princess has lots of tables out on deck, while X does loungers only.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla (read Pr and X).

Thanks again for your fantastic comparison. We agree on 90% of what you said, and we agree 100% that cruising is the way to go.

Stan

Dittos to that Stan. Cruising is the way to go. Ships are anyone's particular preference. I love Norris' reviews. However, we have been on the Regals (both the old one and the new one) and loved them both, and, for totally different reasons. We have been on the Sun, Dawn, Grand (before Skywalker's was removed), the Star, the Golden and the Ruby. We missed a Sapphire cruise because of health issues. Next up for us is the Coral. So, we have been on a few Princess cruises. However never in a suite, an ocean view, or an inside cabin. The balconies on all of our cruises, irrespective of the size, have been fine for us (even on the new Regal). As far as pools, deck areas and promenade decks, we live in Arizona and we have a pool in the backyard, we have most of the year to walk outside (and we do) so the ship, no matter what the configuration, and the cruise is the attraction, the pools and decks, not so much. And, after Norris' great review about the Celebrity Silhouette, we are attracted to yet another ship and cruise line (Thanks Norris for your excellent reviews!!)! I guess I am trying to say it is hard to knock it if you haven't tried it (Regal and Royal for instance). And, as far as we have seen, most Princess ships are more the same than different (well, maybe not the old Regal, but, it was different in a good way).

Cheers to all and happy cruising no matter the ship or cruise line. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

It seems that this thread is just getting warmed up. I'll have a double espresso and a Sambuca please!

On the Silhouette

You could get this at Il Baccio on Deck 5. Or the bar in the Grand Foyer. Norris , you did not give your thoughts on the expresso from there.

The coffee "syrup" can also be had at the Aqua cafe and in the Hideaway.

Edited by Buckcruise

On the Silhouette

You could get this at Il Baccio on Deck 5. Or the bar in the Grand Foyer. Norris , you did not give your thoughts on the expresso from there.

The coffee "syrup" can also be had at the Aqua cafe and in the Hideaway.

I never stopped at Il Cafe Bacio on 5 and I think the only espresso I drank on board the Silhouette was from Il Secondo Bacio in the buffet. There's so much for me to look forward to on the Reflection including Qsine, Mast Grill and the Solarium. Now I am adding more Sambuca and Espresso treats. The coffee from Il Secondo was good but I had to take it in a to go cup to drink on deck.

The Lavazza coffee on the ship was great.

I also never sampled room service but Carol ordered a few times via the TV screen and declared each dish delicious and delivered hot. We have only ordered RS breakfast on Princess and all I can say was it was luke warm and filled my stomach without delight. Kudos to X.

Norris

Elizabeth K -

Try looking at post #645.

But I must say Norris' thread is always such a great read you'll get through it in no time and be better off for doing so.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the compliment and for stepping in to help Elizabeth.

Cheers!

Norris

I had never been on a ship with a multi-deck MDR before. Here's the Grand Cuvee dining room. It can hold 1200 diners

THE WOW FACTOR!

24828258122_c5ab7d636b_b.jpg

24650740890_61638ee76a_b.jpg

The lofty Wine Tower

24828269852_2d0bbb83aa_b.jpg

We prefer quieter corners

24650751390_5f6a540293_b.jpg

There's a full account in my X review on our last night onboard of our one experience there where we witnessed very poor service and lackluster food.

However I am prepared to try the MDR on my next X sailing as I am sure they are better than that.

I can only base my opinion on my first impressions of their MDR operation on that one visit. They do have Sommeliers -which isn't the norm on Princess.

MDR?

ADVANTAGE PRINCESS

(FOR THE FOOD AND THE SERVICE EVEN WITHOUT A WOW FACTOR FROM THE ROOMS)

We found the last night in the dining room the poorest. Try earlier in the week, next time :)

As it's been asked about recently let's look at Princess Afternoon tea.

Before we do we knew our butler X would deliver Afternoon tea each day but it was this... (one sandwich already eaten)

24580630359_7156d294f2_b.jpg

We had to call him to bring the tea and he brought two cups, not a pot.

On Princess there is daily Afternoon tea 3.30 to 4.30. It is served in one of the 3 MDRs and waiters will keep you topped up with sandwiches, scones and cakes until you cry uncle. Tea too.

If you are a Sanctuary guest it comes to your lounger.

If you are a Suite or Elite guest you can have it served on your balcony by Room Service. This is what we do, arranging it in advance. They bring all the food at once. Tea comes from a pot and there is a choice of teas.

20789999555_d43db82f8d_b.jpg

20602007488_0a051da95a_b.jpg

20602002810_f75e2edbf5_b.jpg

20169044723_bc14e53597_b.jpg

20602012388_6de06e8d28_b.jpg

Yes- that was Tea for Two.

AFTERNOON TEA?

ADVANTAGE PRINCESS

(FOR OBVIOUS REASONS)

Not sure if anyone responded to this later but it does not sound as if you tried the afternoon tea in the buffet? Lots of beautiful open faced sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, dainty cakes, gateau and flans, cheese, fruit.....no teapot though!

Not sure if anyone responded to this later but it does not sound as if you tried the afternoon tea in the buffet? Lots of beautiful open faced sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, dainty cakes, gateau and flans, cheese, fruit.....no teapot though!

I found Celebrity to have an awful tea service. Princess is ok, but the rolls for some sandwiches are too hard. Without a doubt Cunard does the best overall tea service that I've seen.

We found the last night in the dining room the poorest. Try earlier in the week, next time :)

Thanks for the head's up. We are eager to give the X MDR another chance. I think our last night will be another Lawn Club Grill if it's a warm evening. I'd like to think though that as you pay for a 7 night cruise there should be no relaxing of standards on the last night.

So many good places to eat on X but of course the MDR is included in the fare for all. I'll be the first to give them credit if they can show me food and service of the caliber of Princess' MDRs.

Norris

Eric, good to see you again.

Yes, I photograph a lot of things that some may take for granted on a ship but on this ship there was no expense spared when it came to design and the elevators were part of that- "rethink what is possible" mantra that must have circulated the design studio. The lifts say "modern" and "luxury" which is what they were going for on the S Class.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited by elevators and stairs!

How was your Constellation Cruise in January?

Cheers!

Norris

Going back to entertainment for a minute( but you will see the relevance soon), if I remember correctly you said there were no "Celebrity productions" on your cruise? I think now that has gone too far the other way. We had 3 in the theatre last week, one of which no one could understand!!! In addition another was in the Grand Foyer later at night , I forget what it was called but was billed as Marie Antoinette meets the Rocky Horror Picture show. It took place on the staircase, with the cruise director and Sarah dancing and lip syncing too, then they brought in the audience to dance. So....back to the elevators...the dance crew then continued their routine in the glass elevators much to the surprise of people waiting on the upper floors, who were pulled into the elevators to dance. It was pretty cool and unique. Another point for the Celebrity elevators! unless you were in a hurry to go anywhere that is!

Had to bump this! Way back on the 2nd page.

I like the sound of fewer but more specifically less intrusive photographers. I'm not fond of having my picture taken. I guess maybe on future cruises I'll try to have fun with them like you do though. Lol I don't have to look at the end result.

Still enjoying the comparison. Looking forward to what you come up with next. :)

I think they hired a few more since January!!!!

There always seemed to be one on the walkway by the elevators on the way to MDR, on the stairs in Grand Foyer, and parading the dining room.

Each line has a tent on the dock where a cup of cold water (hot climates) and a cool most towel (ditto) is awaiting passengers returning from a long day's excursion.

Here is the Ocean Princess tent in the Med.

This is in Palermo a hot place but no cold drinks or towels today.

15401389109_35f3ea7101_b.jpg

Here is what awaits when you return to Celebrity Silhouette...

24812175916_0fed082abf_b.jpg

Long walk from the Duty Free shop? Sit and rest for a moment before the next leg of your journey. There's a cold towel and drink awaiting. Once you climb the gangway there's security (at least two lines) followed by the no way to avoid it Purell Squeeze. Then the long walk to your cabin. It's also a place in the fresh air to wait for friends when going ashore.

The dock tent speaks of what's onboard to passengers on nearby ships-Modern Luxury.

WELCOME BACK TO THE SHIP?

ADVANTAGE CELEBRITY

(FOR OBVIOUS REASONS)

Had to laugh at the EMS? I don't think that's always there! Lol

Going back to entertainment for a minute( but you will see the relevance soon), if I remember correctly you said there were no "Celebrity productions" on your cruise? I think now that has gone too far the other way. We had 3 in the theatre last week, one of which no one could understand!!! In addition another was in the Grand Foyer later at night , I forget what it was called but was billed as Marie Antoinette meets the Rocky Horror Picture show. It took place on the staircase, with the cruise director and Sarah dancing and lip syncing too, then they brought in the audience to dance. So....back to the elevators...the dance crew then continued their routine in the glass elevators much to the surprise of people waiting on the upper floors, who were pulled into the elevators to dance. It was pretty cool and unique. Another point for the Celebrity elevators! unless you were in a hurry to go anywhere that is!

That show sounds pretty zany but of course I like anything that is beyond the norm and far from everyday life. Yes I hoped to see the Cirque type shows with singers , dancers and acrobats and had hoped for an accapella group too but we were happy with the bands,singers and comedians that we got instead.

We were well fed and entertained and loved the ship so were won over very quickly and looking forward to more X experiences and just writing the comparison reminded me of the many unique treats that await on Princess too.

I also love the Liquid Lounge idea on Celebrity and sadly missed out on a couple of events (one poolside around 10.30 to Midnight and another in the Sky Lounge, also late). There were enough good differences between the lines to keep Princess out of my mind for most of the week.

Thanks for letting me know about the stage shows!

Norris

Thanks for posting this comparison, Norris. I just spent the weekend running through the thread and enjoyed it immensely.

I've only ever cruised on Princess but have started to look around at other lines -- not because I'm dissatisfied with Princess but rather just to "see what I'm missing". Your comparison has convinced me to consider giving Celebrity a try.

Thanks.

John, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you and thank you for reading and enjoying the thread.

I see you are in the same boat we were-curious to try something new. I don't think you would be disappointed in an S Class ship as an introduction to X. Some S Class (the two I keep talking about) are preferred by me at this time due to the Lawn Club Grill which is pretty unique.

Cheers!

Norris