American Table, loved the Food, HATED the Concept

ready2cruzagain

I must say that I did enjoy the food with the New American Table menus. The Veal Scallopini was awesome! Not a pressed veal patty but a large cutlet! I did not care for the last menus and really enjoyed these.

Now, as far as the rest goes...HATED it!

I do not place my silver ware on a bare table at home so why in the world would I want to do it in a public place. I missed the table clothes.

The napkins were about the cheapest things I have ever seen, other than paper. They were raggedy and curled up. Looked like they had been washed way too many times.

Most nights we were only given a knife and a fork. No spoon, no salad fork (wait...maybe I ate my meal with a salad fork because it was awfully tiny), no shrimp fork even though ordered shrimp every night. I did receive a steak knife when I ordered steak.

The rolls on the table did not bother me because we were at a table for 2 but if we had been seated with strangers it would have freaked me out. Seen people at the table beside me picking through the bread with their bare hands them putting it back. No thank you, I don't like strangers touching my food with their bare hands when I do not even know if they washed them recently.

The so called "whipped butter" is NOT butter. It is definitely margarine and seen many people complaining about this. I know JH stated in the past it is butter and showed a pic of a box of butter pats but that proved nothing because they do serve butter pats at the buffet.

My solution was to ask for individual butter pats when in the MDR, because I do not eat margarine (most people would not eat eat margarine if they knew how it was made...google it).

I did like the water carafe on the table because in the past I always had a hard time getting my water refilled, this made it quite easy.

I noticed that we never once finished dinner in less than 1 1/2 hours but that was fine by me since I don't like being rushed when eating. For those that like to eat in a hurry, the American Table did seem to take quite a bit longer.

Thanks for your thoughts on the American table. I too don't like silverware placed right on a table (gross) and the wine bottle and carafe of water slid around when there was rough seas which was a pain. I would also not appreciate someone else fingering my bread -- that's just unhygienic. However, I drink a lot of water and loved having it at the table and I found the food to be just as satisfactory as the previous menus.

I also appreciate your balanced review. I have not yet tried the American Table, but would like to, however I also would not like my cutlery put directly on a bare table, nor a community bread basket if sharing a table with strangers. Thanks again for your report.

I must say that I did enjoy the food with the New American Table menus. The Veal Scallopini was awesome! Not a pressed veal patty but a large cutlet! I did not care for the last menus and really enjoyed these.

Now, as far as the rest goes...HATED it!

I do not place my silver ware on a bare table at home so why in the world would I want to do it in a public place. I missed the table clothes.

The napkins were about the cheapest things I have ever seen, other than paper. They were raggedy and curled up. Looked like they had been washed way too many times.

Most nights we were only given a knife and a fork. No spoon, no salad fork (wait...maybe I ate my meal with a salad fork because it was awfully tiny), no shrimp fork even though ordered shrimp every night. I did receive a steak knife when I ordered steak.

The rolls on the table did not bother me because we were at a table for 2 but if we had been seated with strangers it would have freaked me out. Seen people at the table beside me picking through the bread with their bare hands them putting it back. No thank you, I don't like strangers touching my food with their bare hands when I do not even know if they washed them recently.

The so called "whipped butter" is NOT butter. It is definitely margarine and seen many people complaining about this. I know JH stated in the past it is butter and showed a pic of a box of butter pats but that proved nothing because they do serve butter pats at the buffet.

My solution was to ask for individual butter pats when in the MDR, because I do not eat margarine (most people would not eat eat margarine if they knew how it was made...google it).

I did like the water carafe on the table because in the past I always had a hard time getting my water refilled, this made it quite easy.

I noticed that we never once finished dinner in less than 1 1/2 hours but that was fine by me since I don't like being rushed when eating. For those that like to eat in a hurry, the American Table did seem to take quite a bit longer.

Thank you for your review.

I would think that if they were going to place bread baskets on the larger tables (where strangers sit together), they should provide tongs. I would think that anything less would be a health code violation (at least here in the States).

I'm glad to know about the water pitcher. I, too, have frequently had issues with them keeping my water glass filled (really, my primary requirement for it to be considered excellent service).

I am not so much bothered by the lack of tablecloths; however, it did always lend a sense of refinement to the dining experience on the cruise. We love to dine when on a cruise. This is often an experience that we don't treat ourselves to much at home. It makes it feel more like an upscale holiday.

I would also expect to have the appropriate utensils with each course. My goodness, even casual dining establishments can manage that!

Edited by Schoifmom

Our silverware was never on a bare table, unless we placed it there ourselves. When we arrived it was on a napkin, between courses the bread plate makes a very convenient place to rest your silverware without it touching the table.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the water carafes sliding or the condensation. On the Conquest they had holders for the carafes that collected the condensation and prevented them from sliding-and we had some very rough seas.

My one complaint about the American table concept is the new steak knives. They are awful and ridiculously dull. We found it difficult to cut every piece of meat it was provided with, leading us to think the meat was tough-until we actually tasted it. In every case the meat was very tender, the knife was just too dull to cut it, they basically gave us differently shaped butter knives.

Our silverware was never on a bare table, unless we placed it there ourselves. When we arrived it was on a napkin, between courses the bread plate makes a very convenient place to rest your silverware without it touching the table.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the water carafes sliding or the condensation. On the Conquest they had holders for the carafes that collected the condensation and prevented them from sliding-and we had some very rough seas.

My one complaint about the American table concept is the new steak knives. They are awful and ridiculously dull. We found it difficult to cut every piece of meat it was provided with, leading us to think the meat was tough-until we actually tasted it. In every case the meat was very tender, the knife was just too dull to cut it, they basically gave us differently shaped butter knives.

I have to agree about the steak knives. I thought the same thing when I went to cut into the steak. I told DH that the steak must be really tough because I could barely cut it. But it was very tender and tasty.

My one complaint about the American table concept is the new steak knives. They are awful and ridiculously dull. We found it difficult to cut every piece of meat it was provided with, leading us to think the meat was tough-until we actually tasted it. In every case the meat was very tender, the knife was just too dull to cut it, they basically gave us differently shaped butter knives.[/QUOTE]

We found that the regular knife worked better than the steak knife when we had steak or even the pork chop.

I have been on carnival since the change. I too read comments about it before I sailed. It was alittle frustrating not having a spoon and having to wait for one. We were at a table for 10 and yes they didn't have thongs for the bread basket. We did ask for one, and he brought out more baskets for our table. The next night he remembered and had stuff ready for us. It's fine that the water crafts are on the table but I didn't like the sweat from them and all over the table.

Not sure what ship you were on but we were brought new flatware with each course. It was never placed on the bare table unless we put it there and I have no problem with the lack of tablecloths.

I was on the Glory and we did not receive silverware with each course. I had to ask for a spoon for my coffee even, not sure how they thought I should stir it. When my spoon was brought, it was placed on the bare table.

I was on the Glory and we did not receive silverware with each course. I had to ask for a spoon for my coffee even, not sure how they thought I should stir it. When my spoon was brought, it was placed on the bare table.

Same ship, different service.

I agree.

The silverware was placed on the napkin (and we were always given 2 forks right from the start - one appetizer fork, one entrée fork). And we were given replacements as necessary.

Our servers were quick with giving us what we needed and remembered that my mother uses a teaspoon and not a soup spoon for her soup.

The water carafes had this little brown holders and they didn't move around on the table. I loved having the water on the table.

I usually forgot to use the steak knife and had no problems using the regular knife to cut anything.

I enjoyed having no table cloth and the nice, white serviettes.

There were 3 groups at our table and we each had our own box of bread and our own butter dish.

I actually prefer without the table cloths. With Carnival saying it is the FUN ship and family friendly I honestly do not think table cloths are family friendly for those of us with little kids. I always take my daughter to the MDR and she does pretty well. If she starts yelling of course we leave. But, whenever there is a table cloth of course she starts pulling on it and messing with it. This makes it easier for me to not have to constantly correct her over a cloth.

Folks, silverware aside. If I want to"dine" on a cruise ship, or upscale restaurant, I want a table cloth. Otherwise, I go to Denny's- good food there too!

No table cloths = less labor and expense to the cruise line.

It's like the "save the oceans" deal on some cruise lines, where you re-use your towels, rather than get new ones every day. Oh, give me a break!

Seriously, it's all about saving $$$$$$.

Folks, silverware aside. If I want to"dine" on a cruise ship, or upscale restaurant, I want a table cloth. Otherwise, I go to Denny's- good food there too!

It's like the "save the oceans" deal on some cruise lines, where you re-use your towels, rather than get new ones every day. Oh, give me a break!

Of course it is about saving money, fewer table cloths and towels to wash. It is also better on the environment.

Those of you who keep saying upscale restaurants all have table cloths need to get out more.

good straight up review listing pro's and con's. if you don't think something is right, or you don't like , just call it like you see it. I appreciate that! never understood the whole cheer leading thing for cruise lines. It's kinda like the same thing with home town sports team fans. When discussing their team with someone else, their's is the "greatest" and everything they do makes sense or is the right way. I haven't tried AT yet , but I will on my upcoming Pride cruise. I know for certain that I will miss tableclothes. Not because I am "prim & propper" but because I just think it keeps potential messes under control.

^quoted above all for truth!

FWIW I'm pretty much low maintenance (aka a HEATHEN) when it comes to eating.

Bare table, wouldn't notice.

1 total utensil, fine as I tend to use the same utensil until it doesn't resemble what it is!

The deal breaker... margarine. That stuff is foul and a horror to our bodies.

To the OP,

Thankya for the honest review, there's nothing wrong with honesty.

Often the truest friend tells you the darkest/worst thing... you are fat, your hair looks terrible, your fly is open, your breath can strip chrome from a bumper, plaid jackets aren't in style... etc.

Edited by Viesczy

good straight up review listing pro's and con's. if you don't think something is right, or you don't like , just call it like you see it. I appreciate that! never understood the whole cheer leading thing for cruise lines. It's kinda like the same thing with home town sports team fans. When discussing their team with someone else, their's is the "greatest" and everything they do makes sense or is the right way. I haven't tried AT yet , but I will on my upcoming Pride cruise. I know for certain that I will miss tableclothes. Not because I am "prim & propper" but because I just think it keeps potential messes under control.

I agree. Another benefit of tablecloths is sound dampening. To those talking about all the upscale restaurants not having tablecloths: upscale restaurants do not have dining rooms the size of MDRs. There's a lot more noise in an MDR than in an upscale restaurant. The noise in some areas of the Normandie Dining Room (Pride MDR) was quite bad with tablecloths. I don't look forward to how much worse it will be without.

Tablecloths serve several purposes that those arguing against the "pro tablecloth" crowd are conveniently ignoring when they try to make it just about being "fancy", or what "upscale restaurants" do.

Carnival is part of a corporation. The board of directors have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders. Of course it's about the money. That's how corporations work.

Based on the stock price relative to market conditions, it appears as if CCL is doing what they're supposed to do.

We will be trying this new system in a couple of weeks. I don't mind the missing tableclothe, most restaurants don't use them anyways. Years ago they had the bread baskets on the table, only started handing out one roll at a time the last few years. I like the water on the table and if it starts sliding I'll just ask for a napkin and place it underneath. The food is the important part, actually it used to be the whole experience but since they have taken the elegance out if it, the food is it. Thanks for your review.

Edited by sandij

Carnival is part of a corporation. The board of directors have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders. Of course it's about the money. That's how corporations work.

Based on the stock price relative to market conditions, it appears as if CCL is doing what they're supposed to do.

Uh, duh!!! Like I don't know this?

If you want to be a lower end mass market cruise line, then that's what you do.

"That's what you do", like the Geico TV commercial.

Now that's funny! You must be talking about Pats fans!!! LOL! Just kidding!

I totally agree with you, though. You know what they say about peoples opinions!?! It just stinks that people can't come on a "forum" and voice their opinion or experience without it being bashed!

I, personally could careless about tableclothes, how many utensils are on a table, water carafes, bread baskets. Whatever!! As long as I'm not cooking it, serving it or cleaning it up, I'm good!