Baggage drop in ATL

GORGEOUSONE

Going to Southampton for a British Isles Cruise. Am flying Evansville IN to Atlanta to connect with a British Airways flight. Am on 2 tickets. Arrive in ATL at noon but don't leave ATL until 10 PM. I can't check bags through so have to collect and take them to International Terminal and recheck. I have looked for info on baggage drop times at ATL but cannot find how early I can recheck. Can anyone help. Thanks.

ATL is not your determining factor as to how early you can drop off or check in your luggage. BA is your determining factor. BA website under Manage My Booking should be able to give you a better idea as to how early they will check you in and take your luggage.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if the answer was more than 4 hours prior to departure.

I don't know your first airline, as you didn't name them. I was going to suggest asking if they would check your bag through to your BA flight, but I suspect your first flight is on DL, and they apparently won't check your bag through if you are on two separate tickets (is there some reason you booked this way?).

http://loyaltylobby.com/2012/10/26/delta-stops-checking-through-bags-on-separate-tickets/

If not, agree, usually bag check opens about four hours before your flight.

Edited by 6rugrats

You'll claim your bags at the ATL domestic baggage area. Then you'll have to take the shuttle van to the international terminal, where you'll re-check them. This is not a quick process. Make sure to allow 30-45 minutes for the transfer. It sounds as though you'll have lots of time, but make sure to allow for the transfer time.

Why don't you fly the day before and spend the nite in Atlanta? Then catch you international flight in the morning.

International flights from Atlanta to Europe are all in the late afternoon or evening. They are all red eyes.

You'll claim your bags at the ATL domestic baggage area. Then you'll have to take the shuttle van to the international terminal, where you'll re-check them. This is not a quick process. Make sure to allow 30-45 minutes for the transfer. It sounds as though you'll have lots of time, but make sure to allow for the transfer time.

That's great, but it's not what the OP was asking. They aren't concerned with how long the process will take, as they have 10 hours. They want to know how early BA will accept their checked bags.

That's great, but it's not what the OP was asking. They aren't concerned with how long the process will take, as they have 10 hours. They want to know how early BA will accept their checked bags.

The OP is from Owensboro, KY., and flying EVV-ATL. I am not sure if he/she has ever been in the ATL airport, and am not sure if he/she is familiar with the domestic vs. international terminals here. I am merely trying to be helpful to the OP. I have no idea how far in advance of flighttime bags are accepted by BA. Never flown 'em.

AG