Avalon "Magnificent Europe" Excursions to Take and Avoid

Kenato

We are taking the Eastbound Avalon Magnificent Europe cruise in May 2016 and wondering if past cruisers on this itinerary can advise if there are any of the excursions that should not be missed and if there are some that should be missed. In the case of the latter, we will opt to do our own thing but don't want to make the mistake of not participating in the best tours.

Would be interested in any other advise people may have for this cruise in general.

Thanks

DH and I took Avalon Amsterdam to Budapest Sept 2015 (sorry I am not sure which is east or west) but frankly I can't think of a single Excursion that was bad. We did not do The Sound of Music, we went to Český Krumlov and while it was a long long day it was fabulous. Don't miss it.

I'm a lot better at answering questions. It was a long cruise and a bit of a blur!

I guess everyone feels the same that there are no bad excursions and no really great ones. We have been looking at choices between Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov (had some good responses to that question) but wondering about City Tour or Jewish Heritage in Cologne;City tour or Rally Grounds tour in Nuremburg; Concert in Viena and Slovak Lifestyle and Tradition tour in Bratislava? Would welcome any comments or views on these tours.

The Mrs. and I were on this sailing back in October going East to West.

All the tours were quite great. You can always start with the tour and if it's not to your liking you can leave at any time. Just let the tour guide know.

We did extensive planning for each port prior to the trip, so some tours we did not participate in as we did our own thing. Bamberg was one of them and we're glad we did because we got to see a lot more, albeit at a quicker pace.

We had an issue deciding between Krumlov and Salzburg, and in the end we decided to stay on the boat and sail through the Wachau Valley, and honestly it was the BEST decision we made all trip. Although seeing either Krumlov or Salzburg would be amazing as well, the Wacahau Valley is truly unreal, and you'd never get to see it from that vantage point if you were on land. You can always go and see Krumlov or Salzburg any time, but you can't see the Wachau Valley like that. Also the few days prior were very intense so it was nice to relax on deck that day.

Wurzburg is also an excursion you don't want to miss. The Prince Bishop's Residence is a must see!

• 1 year later...

Hi, My husband and I are taking this trip April/May of this year. We love your information but have a question on this comment. --

We had an issue deciding between Krumlov and Salzburg, and in the end we decided to stay on the boat and sail through the Wachau Valley, and honestly it was the BEST decision we made all trip. Although seeing either Krumlov or Salzburg would be amazing as well, the Wacahau Valley is truly unreal, and you'd never get to see it from that vantage point if you were on land. You can always go and see Krumlov or Salzburg any time, but you can't see the Wachau Valley like that. Also the few days prior were very intense so it was nice to relax on deck that day.

--

So did the boat move from one city to another while some people were on their excursions and you stayed on board? We are confused that you saw the Wacahau Valley while others did not.

Thanks for the info......and anything else you think these first time river cruisers would benefit from!

yes that is what happens. we have done that route on APT/AMA and Avalon in both directions at different times of the year, spring/autumn and November sailings.

sometimes its nice to relax on board and enjoy the beautiful scenery on that section.

of course many prefer to do the excursions but its great to have a choice especially if you have already been to those places.

Jumping on Txsprmom's question...my husband and I are doing Avalon's 8 day Danube cruise starting in Budapest in April. I had just decided to choose the Cesky Krumlov excursion the day we dock in Linz, but now I'm second guessing again. I thought we cruised through the Wachau Valley the day the boat makes stops at Durnstein and Melk...but this sounds like that is not correct?

We tend to do things only once, so can someone inform me if in fact I should be choosing between seeing the Valley and Cesky Krumlov not CK or Linz?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks :)

Edited by gladgirl
Emoji didn't show up

can understand your dilemma with choices. it can be nice to do the same route again to see what you may have missed or repeat a favourite place.

we have also had the experience on river cruises of missing ports or early termination/deviations because of high/low water issues.

up to you perhaps decide on board when things are clearer. ask the cruise director about times etc. we enjoy cruising the river and are not fond of long bus trips but tolerate them if we think its worth it.

enjoy your cruise whatever you decide its a lovely part of the world.

Jumping on Txsprmom's question...my husband and I are doing Avalon's 8 day Danube cruise starting in Budapest in April. I had just decided to choose the Cesky Krumlov excursion the day we dock in Linz, but now I'm second guessing again. I thought we cruised through the Wachau Valley the day the boat makes stops at Durnstein and Melk...but this sounds like that is not correct?

We tend to do things only once, so can someone inform me if in fact I should be choosing between seeing the Valley and Cesky Krumlov not CK or Linz?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks :)

We did your trip in reverse. At the stop in Linz we took the Cesky Krumlov excursion, which we loved. The next morning we cruised through the Wachau Valley. I believe the description of the cruises leaving from Budapest show cruising the Wachau Valley after the stop in Melk. If you're concerned, contact Avalon to confirm.

We haven't done this trip, but we did do the Rhine Gorge on another Avalon cruise. In Rudesheim, 3 out of our party of 4 went to the musical instrument museum, and I took the gondola up to the Niederwald Monument and then walked back down into the town through the vineyards. My traveling companions were a little disappointed with the museum tour, and wished that they'd joined me on my excursion. I should also mention that when I told the CD that I was skipping the museum and riding the gondola. He immediately went over and bought tickets for me and a couple of other people who'd decided to do the gondola.

Also, in Cologne, you might strike out on your own and do the chocolate museum or the Roman museum.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on our experience, there is one advantage to booking ahead of time. If a tour is booked before the cruise, Avalon will operate the tour regardless of how many people sign up. If a tour has no sign-ups before the cruise, Avalon will cancel it if not enough people sign up.