How does Carnival handle daylight savings time?

cruisinqt

Literally the day we leave for our cruise on the Breeze is the day we change our clocks for daylight savings time. We are sailing out of Miami. Will the ship do the time change too? Do I need to change my watch and clock that night on the ship? If anyone has had experience with this please let me know. I'm a little worried about it at the ports too. If the ship does the time change will the ports do it too? If not, then how do I figure out the time for each port? I don't want to be late for my excursions.

Edited by cruisinqt

Literally the day we leave for our cruise is the day we change our clocks for daylight savings time. We are sailing out of Miami. Will the ship do the time change too? Do I need to change my watch and clock that night on the ship? If anyone has had experience with this please let me know. I'm a little worried about it at the ports too. If the ship does the time change will the ports do it too?

A little confused.

Does it change after you board or before.

I expect the ship will change. At the official change time.

Sometimes the ships change in Port sometimes not, you will be notified of time changes.

A little confused.

Does it change after you board or before.

I expect the ship will change. At the official change time.

Sometimes the ships change in Port sometimes not, you will be notified of time changes.

We leave Saturday and it changes that day. It will change that night after we board while we are and sleeping.

We leave Saturday and it changes that day. It will change that night after we board while we are and sleeping.

I would think they would handle it like all the states and countries that honor day light savings does and at 2:00 am Sunday morning they just automatically adjust clocks while you sleep so you loose 1 hour overnight and wake up with ships clocks showing the adjusted time time already. And when you arrive at a port that does not honor day light savings, just like any other time you always stay on ships time.

Edited by Jeepenfun

Literally the day we leave for our cruise on the Breeze is the day we change our clocks for daylight savings time. We are sailing out of Miami. Will the ship do the time change too? Do I need to change my watch and clock that night on the ship? If anyone has had experience with this please let me know. I'm a little worried about it at the ports too. If the ship does the time change will the ports do it too? If not, then how do I figure out the time for each port? I don't want to be late for my excursions.

We were on the Breeze last year in the fall when the clocks fell back one hr. I can only speak for this cruise but the clock was moved back one hr two- three days before the actual observance of daylight savings time. They said this was the procedure they chose as we debarked a few hrs after actual time was changed. They said by doing this it would make the process less confusing and time would not be an issue. All worked out well.

Edited by Coopdog08

Three years ago we were on the Magic out of Galveston. Not only was it a Halloween cruise(was really fun to watch), but we also had adjusted our clocks. They chose to do it a day early while at sea and I think that made it easier as got back to port on a Sunday.

One slight glitch though. While they did adjust the ship's time. Someone forgot to set the clock on the wake-up call system. My dad fail victim to this having a wake up call set for 5am and then only to discover it was really 4am when nothing was open on the lido deck.

Edited by wo5m

I think that only cruisers leaving and returning on Sunday will adjust their time differently than the home port.

Last year we were on a Sun-Sun cruise over spring daylight savings and the ship time moved up an hour when we embarked, a whole week ahead of everyone else. We found that vendors in the ports were aware of the change and verified out ship's time for all excursions too. We were the only ship we encountered that switched early.

They will let you know very clearly in the Fun Times and in announcements what they will do, either way.

In our experience on Victory in 2013, the ship stayed on the Eastern Standard Time until the final sea day. It did cause some minor confusion with one privately booked shore excursion, but it all worked out.

Edited by gtalum

Three years ago we were on the Magic out of Galveston. Not only was it a Halloween cruise(was really fun to watch), but we also had adjusted our clocks. They chose to do it a day early while at sea and I think that made it easier as got back to port on a Sunday.

One slight glitch though. While they did adjust the ship's time. Someone forgot to set the clock on the wake-up call system. My dad fail victim to this having a wake up call set for 5am and then only to discover it was really 4am when nothing was open on the lido deck.

Exact same thing happened to me on the Dream last year. They decided to set the clocks back a day early since we were getting back to port on the Sunday that it was supposed to be changed. But, they never made any announcements that they were going to do it than way.

The only communication was a little tiny line in the Funtimes. Which I don't read ahead of time because I'm tired at night when we get the next day's Funtimes. So my husband and I showed up for our Behind the Fun tour an hour early.

Wow it sounds like everyone had a different experience. I guess it all depends on how your ship decides they want to handle it. I was hoping there would be some normal standard procedure that all ships go by. I know it will all work out, I just like to know ahead of time so that I can plan accordingly. We are doing excursions with local tour guides. So there's a little worry about us maybe being on a different time zone than them and there being some confusion as to what time to meet up.

I have been on cruises where it was changed the same day that it changes on land, and I have been on them where it is changed on the day of arrival back into port. To a large degree it depends on where you are going. Some ports observe DST, most do not. You can Google Daylight Savings Time and figure out if the ports observe it or not.

Wow it sounds like everyone had a different experience. I guess it all depends on how your ship decides they want to handle it. I was hoping there would be some normal standard procedure that all ships go by. I know it will all work out, I just like to know ahead of time so that I can plan accordingly. We are doing excursions with local tour guides. So there's a little worry about us maybe being on a different time zone than them and there being some confusion as to what time to meet up.

It really depends on the ship and type of itinerary your on. All the cruises I taken out of Galveston the ship time was always Galveston time(not counting the day early DST discussed earlier) even if the port we were at was in a different time zone(like Belize). However, on our Alaskan Cruise we were constantly changing time. We had to set our clocks back an hour two different days and then ahead two day on the trip back(a total of 4 changes). They announced it heavily and had signs all over the ship so it was hard to say you didn't know.

I've often wondered what it would be like on a cruise going across the Pacific, not just the time zone changes, but crossing the international date line. When you cross that line you ether lose or gain an entire day(24 hours). I don't know why, but I think thats fascinating.

Edited by wo5m

You are right! It's up to the Captain of the ship to decide what time it is. If you book tour's with the ship you won't have a problem. If you book with local guide's they should know the time on the ship.

Edited by Plant