Charity or fund raisers on Royal Caribbean

Crzicriter

Does Royal Caribbean have any type of fund raiser for Charities on board?

Carnival does the Groove for St. Jude and Holland America does a walk for cancer. Usually you do several laps around one of the decks, get a t-shirt and sometimes a bracelet for like a 10 pp fee.

They used to have a fundraiser for Haiti. Not sure if that was temporary; but I do know when you stop in Labadee, which is the north coast of Haiti; some of the proceeds from shore excursions go back to the island in the form of schools, etc

Yes, the link with Make A Wish has been terminated. Now the charity of choice for RCCL is World Wildlife Fund. So far haven't read of any activities on-board that are tied to the WWF like there were with Make A Wish. This transition happened in the last couple of months, so RCCL may be still working out how/if they will have an on-board activity tied to the WWF

What I don't understand is why RCI couldn't maintain two (or more) fundraising partnerships. Do they not care about children any more? :rolleyes::eek:

Obviously, I kid (oohhh, see what I did there? ;)).

Both are worthy causes. I don't see why they couldn't support both by promoting one or the other (or even both) on each ship across the fleet. People have different charitable causes they like to support. Personally, MAW is closer to my heart than WWF (while I'm sure it's the opposite for some people).

I don't expect any company or person to care about and financially support every cause out there...that's impossible. I was just surprised to find out that they dropped one to pick up a different one. While I was aboard Grandeur, they were selling off the last few Walk for Wishes t-shirts they had on hand during the last day of the sailing, which went very quickly.

What I don't understand is why RCI couldn't maintain two (or more) fundraising partnerships. Do they not care about children any more? :rolleyes::eek:....

I thought I read that it was Make-a-Wish that declined to continue the relationship.

I thought I read that it was Make-a-Wish that declined to continue the relationship.

Hmm, that's interesting. Why would a charity turn down an opportunity to raise more funds, unless their fundraising partner was seen to be unsavoury? :confused:

Hmm, that's interesting. Why would a charity turn down an opportunity to raise more funds, unless their fundraising partner was seen to be unsavoury? :confused:

Don't know, it's possible my recollection is wrong.

Just speculation of course, but Make a Wish might have had to terminate it because of some sort of non-compete clause they have with Disney? They do so much stuff with Disney and maybe Disney does not like they partnering with RCL?

Could be -- and I would be really disappointed if that is the case. That seems really petty to me. What's the purpose of the charity? (rhetorical question)

It doesn't exist for Disney (or any other fundraising partner) to toot its own horn.