Galveston Porter Tips

YadaYadaJodi

So, I've learned here on Cruise Critic and also from a friend that when disembarking in Galveston (I will be on Royal this time around) if you use a porter they will take you through to a shorter, quicker line. I'm used to tipping a $1 or $2 a bag (minimum $5) when they are just taking care of us for a couple of minutes. What is a "proper" tip when they are staying in line with you? Seems like last time it was still over 30 minutes. I don't remember what I tipped but I remember being unsure about the amount.

We don't need help with our luggage but since we get it, I'm used to tipping the parking shuttle driver/handler (coming & going) and the porter when embarking but this spending time with me has me confused about how much to give them. I'm too frugal to over tip but I certainly don't want to under tip either.:o

• 2 weeks later...
Hint. Stay in the right hand line, next to the wall where restrooms are located.

Sorry for what may be a stupid question. Are you talking about the customs line after picking up your bags? The lane you suggest moves quicker than the others?

Sorry for what may be a stupid question. Are you talking about the customs line after picking up your bags? The lane you suggest moves quicker than the others?

The lines for Customs in Galveston can get long. Most grab a porter as they have a special line that is faster. Some have reported than a certain regular line may move faster. I chose a porter last time and will again this year.

When proceeding to bag claim area, it's huge, use right side lane to obtain a porter who will then walk with you to claim your luggage, he/she will then que you up to a custom agent line. After cleared, will take your luggage outside.