DON't PACK YOUR WINE IN YOUUR SUITCASE !!!!

Calgon1

Agree to disagree,,,funny thing is I basically agree with rule and think rules are important....and am a rule follower and fine line type...rather too "straight arrow"..much more often I am like your stance. I hate these kind of arguments too....often people are not seeing full picture and hard to really define/refine your point. People rightfully or even somewhat not rightfully ( in the eyes of the inquirer or inquired) get to get steamed about something like this..later see the mostly good to new rule and get over it. This person has helped many people here and is a CC founder so to speak...and just packed his allowed wine in a now not allowed way....I say first time pass..ding them second time nope have not learned the new rule.

But enough..this is out of proportion to "transgression" issue...IMHO...respectfully. Now these whole bars people smuggle, even being able to put away the legal 16 or whatever a day, there is a real alcoholic problem with our society IMHO..having buried an B-in-law when his kids were 2 and 5. Almost 20 years ago now.

This is what I don't buy. First, I've been cruising about 15 years now and have always read "do not pack your wine/soda/water in your luggage, carry it on". So it's not even close to being a "new" rule as you state. Secondly, I asked this before but it was not answered. HOW, does the Carnival employee determine if it's a person's "first" transgression and what do you tell the person in front of or behind him that has their's thrown away? Doing something like that is just asking for a fight by treating people differently. The can of worms you would be opening would be so huge (he/she got away with it and other didn't because of racism/sexism/ageism/whatever) and you would never get someone to believe that a certain person was able to keeps their only because it was their "first time".

As most of you out there are aware, you can bring two (750ml) bottles of wine onboard, per cabin.

If you intend to do so, make sure you have them in your carry-on(s). We put two bottles, suitably padded, in a suitcase, which we dropped with the curbside stevedore.

While we were among the first onboard (11:00 am), by sail away (4:00 pm) the bag had not arrived. By early evening (7:00 pm), the bag was still missing.

Checked with our steward. He suggested checking with Guest Services. Bingo! They had the bag, but were holding it because the scanner showed two bottles inside. Laughing, I understood. They needed to determine that it was our two bottles of wine and nod liquor being smuggled aboard.

OK. Opened the bag. Showed them that it was wine and not liquor. They then informed us that the wine was confiscated!

Us - "Huh :confused: "

Security - "We have to seize it. If you had carried it on, that would have bee allowed. But, because it was in a checked bag, it has to be seized :mad:"

Us - "Uh, OK. But we'll get it back at the end of the cruise, right :confused: "

Security - "No. It is forfeit. You don't get it back :mad:"

Bottom Line? Over two bottle s of mediocre wine, Carnival lost two cruisers. We have NEVER experienced this with any other cruise line, including Holland America, Princess, Costa and Cunard (all Carnival Corporation subsidiaries)!

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware they would confiscate and keep wine if it was in checked luggage. Bet you're glad you posted here, huh?! :eek: