Staying Healthy while Cruising - How to beat the bugs

Esahuma

Yes Airborne is part of our travel meds. We start on our tabs 3 days before our flight and continue on from there as well as drink waters at meals with alot of lemon once we board.

We have never picked anything up and we are in our mid 50's and travelngreat distances.

An AirBorne fan!

I stand by AirBorne and there are good ideas and options here by all folks and there are those who just enjoy to poo on those ideas. The beauty of Cruise critic you can utilize ideas and discard the others.

I stand by AirBorne and there are good ideas and options here by all folks and there are those who just enjoy to poo on those ideas. The beauty of Cruise critic you can utilize ideas and discard the others.

It's very true that people are free to utilize some ideas and discard others, but providing facts about products' effectiveness or lack thereof is not "enjoying to poo". It's providing facts.

Replies

What do you do at work,

During any season (not just cold and flu season) at our business office, anyone that is sick is paid to stay home regardless of duration. Everyone understands, and thanks to technology, we've provided everyone with a home office equipment arrangement that is a duplicate of office arrangement.

or out shopping

During cold and flu season, when shopping, for groceries for example, we use the provided wipes for the cart, after check out and in the car, we use our own wipes. Keep hands away from face, etc. and wash with soap and water when getting home.

or any other of the things that people do on a daily basis?

During cold and flu season, we really don't go to public places much as we live in a lake / mountain resort area that and there aren't many places to go. We travel to Southern California and fly out of BOS 5-7 times per 'late fall 'early spring to visit son, family and 2 little GKs.

You can think you don't get sick because of what you've been doing, but you would accomplish that by just washing your hands regularly and keeping your hands away from your face.

Well, the power of the mind must be quite exponential, or we have some nifty immune systems, but my wife and I have not had a severe cold or any flu at all in (can't even remember) decade (possibly decades).

We do agree with you on the importance of "washing your hands regularly and keeping your hands away from your face."

Maybe having raised three sons that played all sports and having our home the 'team home for about 12 years, in which we had ever cold and flu that each sports season and house guest brought, "steeled or tempered" our immune system. Since they left home for college and beyond, 'never been sick (severe cold or any flu) since.

It's all I've ever done.

That's great and, as above, agree how important it is. We really like the large, open hand washing stations on some of the newer ships. The Dr. I referenced in a previous post told me, as I was lathering up in Purell (non "advanced"), that it "wasn't going to protect against a Noro virus" that had taken a nasty toll on the ships' passengers and told us to use soap (generously for 20 seconds) and warm water.

Then there is the matter of airborne risks management (I guess we won't go there).

:)

Hopefully the OP will find some of all this useful.

This was a good exchange. Thanks.

Oh, for a laugh. The Dr. mentioned, and others in the party, were all discussing their strategies during this Noro issue on the ship. The Dr. tells them to consider using the handicapped button for the doors to the restrooms. I laughed, caught there attention. I said I've seen men (after being in stalls and a 'mens room) that have walked on floor "use their shoe bottoms" to tap those handicapped buttons (they are low). There was an 'ewww and some frowns.

Why don't the drug companies invent better antibiotics? Haven't been prescribed a new antibiotic in 15 years.

What about all the antibiotics we get via meat raised w/ antibiotics? Aren't they a huge cause of the superbug disaster? Stop overcrowding the animals in pens, so they don't need antibiotics.

Inventing new drugs is never a piece of cake not to mention that there is less money invested in it compared to other medical research (because of recent events). Asking why companies don't invent better drugs is like saying 'I don't understand why they havent found a cure for cancer yet' people are working on it and trying and its going to be a long time before they do so as its complicated so people need to take care of themselves and the substances they take. Just because you haven't been prescribed a new antibiotic doesn't mean there are not new ones or hybrid pills.Google Teixobactin to see what I mean...it was big news on UK Channels last year.

While I agree animal antibiotics is wrong and contributing to the problem it doesnt seem to be the major cause.

Regardless of the above people should only take antibiotics if needed and finish the course of them even if symptoms have gone.

To avoid Norovirus stop using public washrooms. The virus is spread by the minute droplets of vomit which remain in the room after someone has thrown up. It's airborne, so no amount of hand washing or sanitising is going to protect you.

Holy crap, there are actually people who believe this stupid stuff??? :eek:

It's very true that people are free to utilize some ideas and discard others, but providing facts about products' effectiveness or lack thereof is not "enjoying to poo". It's providing facts.

I don't feel the need to repeat what I originally said but my experience is my experience and that is what works and the "poo" can give opinion......the beauty of Cruise Critic.

... Try hard not to touch contact surfaces like hand rails, elevator buttons, ( ask someone else to press your floor). ...

Brian J

That's rather selfish, isn't it? Why would you ask someone else to perform an actr you consider too dangerous to do yourself?

you should stay home and never ever leave your house.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are probably correct. I know you are just being mean, but after a bad cancer treatment I decided I should get out and enjoy life more. Getting these sorts of bugs from an attempt to go out and enjoy life is not enjoyable, so I shall certainly be taking your wise words into consideration. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

...consider using the handicapped button for the doors to the restrooms... I said I've seen men (after being in stalls and a 'mens room) that have walked on floor "use their shoe bottoms" to tap those handicapped buttons (they are low). There was an 'ewww and some frowns.

There was quite a lively discussion some weeks back about this and about flushing the toilet with one's foot. Most were opposed to it and some said they do it. I would imagine many people kick the automatic button for the door with their foot, also.

... I know you are just being mean, but after a bad cancer treatment I decided I should get out and enjoy life more. Getting these sorts of bugs from an attempt to go out and enjoy life is not enjoyable, so I shall certainly be taking your wise words into consideration. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey fellow Survivor, all the best to you. I know, some people here can be mean - some actually go out of their way to be mean or rude and do not consider the circumstances before replying. I try to give them grace, and hope they never have to go through what you and I have gone through. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

We are relative pretty healthy people and don't normally get sick at home -

That being said - we just returned from 3 days in Key West then 5 days on Independence followed by 10 days on Serenade -

We did the normal - wash our hands - drink plenty of water - got plenty of sleep - used hand sanitizers and washed our hands again -

Both of us still ended up getting sick and had to visit the doctor the day after we got home..... virus and bronchitis. This is not the first time - I would save at least 50% of the time one of us comes home with 'bugs'.

We have heard - drink more water - take vitamin C- wear a mask - take echinacea - turn off your a/c -use a humidifer -

WHAT IS THE ANSWER? What helps you from bringing the 'bugs' home with you?

Thanks

Get out a lot more at home, go into crowds. You will quickly build up immunity.

OP, I don't think there is an exact answer to your question regarding how to prevent getting sick on a cruise. I ALWAYS seem to get sick on or after a cruise. So my last cruise I decided to take ALOT of preventative action: took an immune booster, Airborne, extra Vitamin C for 2 weeks prior.

Spent a few days at Disney World before the cruise, sat on a bench, and a sick little girl decided to sit right next to me and cough all over my arm. I literally ran to the ladies room to wash it off. Nope, too late. Three days later, the day after boarding the ship, boom.

It's being around all those people. You can wash your hands a million times a day and not touch anything. But the germs are mostly airborne, right? And you can't stop breathing.

Indeed. As someone else once said, you are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Science ftw!:D

Edited by motif

OP, I don't think there is an exact answer to your question regarding how to prevent getting sick on a cruise. I ALWAYS seem to get sick on or after a cruise. So my last cruise I decided to take ALOT of preventative action: took an immune booster, Airborne, extra Vitamin C for 2 weeks prior.

Spent a few days at Disney World before the cruise, sat on a bench, and a sick little girl decided to sit right next to me and cough all over my arm. I literally ran to the ladies room to wash it off. Nope, too late. Three days later, the day after boarding the ship, boom.

It's being around all those people. You can wash your hands a million times a day and not touch anything. But the germs are mostly airborne, right? And you can't stop breathing.

Hey....at least you gave it a shot! Airborne is great for us and many others before and during travel. Just like Doctors recommend multi vitamins....but it's your choice. People typically do not eat balanced so the vitamin takes up the slack......including vitamin C. Some disagree but my personal experience is mine.

Yes viruses are airborne and passed that way and into mucous membranes. Viruses live on surfaces too.

We wipe the TV remote and door handles with antiseptic wipes on arrival in our cabin, we also open the balcony doors to get a good amount of fresh air into the cabin as they always smell so stale when we first arrive. We also wipe the trays and arm rests on the plane - always worry someone has thrown up in my seat before I embark. We wash our hands frequently, always use the hand sanitizer when entering the buffet/restaurants.

Take medication with us in case we are ill, such as rehydration tablets, antihistamines, painkillers, anti sickness pills and indigestion tablets.

Unfortunately when travelling to different areas there will always be certain bugs we haven't come across before so our immunity system might not be able to fight them, not much we can do about this apart from stay as healthy as possible and follow a common sense approach to cleanliness.

So, you're a "health professional". Where is your proof that this is incorrect?

Do you consider the CDC to be a reputable source?

Norovirus can spread to others by—

• having direct contact with an infected person, for example, touching an infected person while caring for them,

• eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

• touching objects that have norovirus on them and then putting your fingers in your mouth, for example, touching a countertop that has vomit droplets on it and then putting your fingers in your mouth and

• sharing utensils or cups with people who are infected with norovirus.

Note that "droplet" precautions require that an actual droplet get into your mouth -- NOT from an "airborne" virus just floating around the room after a sick person left.

In order to get a droplet of norovirus in your mouth, you would need to be sneezed or coughed upon by the sick person... that "spray" that you feel from a sneeze is the droplet component.

The most common way that noroviruses (and other contagious gastrointestinal illnesses) are spread is known as the "fecal-oral route": spread of microorganisms from the infected stool of one person into the mouth of another; may occur via fecal contamination of food or water supply, or by hand-to-mouth transmission following inadequate handwashing after touching contaminated items.

In a nutshell, almost any time someone gets a pukey-poopy type of bug, it's because they ate someone else's poop.

Someone gets poop on their hand... they leave bits of poop on things that then become fomites in the transmission of the virus... the toilet flush handle, bathroom stall handle, the faucet at the bathroom sink, bathroom door handle, handrails on the stairs, elevator buttons, etc.

Wash. Your. Hands.

Many times, if a person thinks they have the flu it can also be a food borne illness. Also, no matter how much people preach, there are just some people who think they are above washing their hands. They are all over. There was a 20 something girl on our last cruise who used the bathroom and was more concerned about how she looked in the mirror than washing her hands. Gross.