Employment for 60 year woman on NCL?

Kaboochi

They are not NCL employees. They work for a port services company that is contracted to staff the terminal on turnaround days.

Yes I know that and sorry if my post made it sound like I thought they were Ncl employees

I was just following up on a previous poster who suggested this would be a good job for a 60 yo versus in a ship

Edited by luvtheships

I just got off NCL's Gem today and during the cruise staff Q&A the question

was asked on how old one can be to work on board....The answer I am sorry

to report was 55!

I'm afraid this is another of the multitudinous times that crew will make up an answer when they don't know the correct answer. I know many who have and are currently working for NCL aboard ships who are over 55. I, myself, was over 55 when I was working there.

I would fear for you as I've heard from workers (from room stewards to photographers) that normal shifts are 12 hours long. There's a lot of down time, but still you're "supposed" to be working for those 12 hours. I think the contracts are for 6 months, 2 months vacation. That's way too much for me anyway.

I've sometimes thought about what position I could handle on board a cruise ship...

My first choice would be as a "Future Cruise Consultant/Loyalty Ambassador....

they seem to work "banker's hours" on most cruises I have been on. But it must be tough to obtain such a job...I believe they promote from within their hotel dept. staff to those?

Next might be to work as a clerk in one of the concession shops...not sure if these are considered true NCL employees or are employees of the concessionaire, subject to NCL rules. There is more to their job I realize than just selling...they must also conduct inventory, and move merchandise to and from stockrooms in the hold....

I have been searching the Internet for an NCL site that posts positions on their cruise ships. I am 60, love cruising NCL and would like to work on one of their ships. I have a business degree and believe I may be a nice fit. Does anyone know whom to contact? Thank you:):)

Sorry I can't help with your interest in NCL employment, but if you are interested in travel industry work in general I may be able to stir you in the right direction.

I too am also from R.I., and in the mid 90s I took a hiatus from the nursing profession and obtained a tour guide/tour director position with a large R.I. based tour operator located in Pawtucket. I was in my mid 30s at that time, but this agency did hire folks in their 60s for these positions, and especially sought out multi lingual retired teachers. The job wasn't easy, and the hours were long, but I got paid fairly well, always had great accommodations, food, and other perks with the biggest being an IATA card.

I left this position after two years and returned to nursing as it was a tough job for a young married person being away from home so much. But believe me, when I retire in a few years I will most certainly return part time to this type of work because working in this industry I met so many great people while seeing so many great places at the same time.

Good Luck

To all of my fellow cruisers that responded with useful info, thank you so much. To those with negative or sarcStic comments, I choose to ignore you. Wish me luck all. Please keep the useful/positive comments coming. Thanks again. Laurie