Venice, Check-in, Hotel, etc

Gcto

on an upcoming cruise leaving Venice we'll be arriving the day before fairly early. The ship will leave the next day late in the evening.

Fellow cruisers, does anyone have some idea or past experience on how Regent will handle all this.

I assume that after being picked up at the airport, Regent would get us to the hotel (early check-in maybe ?).

But would about then...we would be on ourselves until the next morning. With the ship leaving late, how does Regent handle transfer from hotel to ship and then, if the normal check-in time is noon to 1 pm, what would one be able to do then ? Stick around on the ship or are there possibilities to get back into Venice for more sightseeing ?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Hi Franzr,

We arrived in Venice last year, and the Regent on shore rep met everyone at airport, and walked us to the water taxi terminal. Shared taxis to hotel which was the newly opened JW Marriott. If it's there you are staying you can use their water bus to Venice proper in the evening. As regards early check in, it was fairly slow but our flight had arrived at lunchtime and we were in rooms by about 1600 hrs.

The luggage had to be out the room door by 2300hrs that night and a hotel water bus transferred us to the ship port next day about lunchtime. There were a lot of guests staying at hotel so it was a kind of shuttle service back and fro.

We sailed about 1900 hrs I think, but by the time we boarded , had lunch, got to the cabin about 1500, unpacked had boat drill it was time to dine and leave. I would think it depends which hotel you are staying at. Jean.

Thanks...yes, we are currently staying at the JW which is a bit off the beaten path. So if I understand you correctly the only day for sightseeing would be the arrival day as the second day (the day the boat leaves late in the evening) is pretty much shot with just the transfer to the ship and then staying on the ship because of drill etc.

That's more or less how it worked for us. You can certainly go to Venice proper the day you arrive, once checked into hotel. You have to be on board a few hours before sailing time due, and the compulsory drill, so I dont think you would have any time on the day. It did go quite smoothly. JW Marriott gardens are nice and enjoyable to walk around and give a good view of Venice before you go across to board the ship.

If the ship isn't sailing until late, I don't see why you couldn't take the complimentary JW Marriott water shuttle to San Marco, have a nice lunch and sightsee/shop for a while, and then head to the ship. As I recall, it's a fairly short hop to the cruise terminal area, via water taxi, and if you're in decent shape it's even walkable (although it could be a slog if you're carrying any personal belongings).

I'd check with the Regent reps upon arrival, or have your TA check before you go. Last year, I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly we got to the island the Marriott is on - and our taxi took us through the grand canal on Murano on the way over, which was an unexpected treat. We got to see one of our favorite glass shops (friend of a friend owns it) and really got a fresh taste of the Venetian feel again.

So if I was in your shoes, I'd take advantage of the JW Marriott shuttle both days. Even if you can't check in early, they'll hold your bags for you and you could head in to San Marco for a few hours, or enjoy the island until check-in and then go in for dinner. And I'd probably be up early to go back into town before going to the ship. Just make sure you leave yourself enough of a cushion to get aboard - I tend to run late when I'm in Venice. :D

Thanks Bill, I'll check out the vapporetto schedules etc. JW has last years shuttle schedule online, but I assume the 2016 is the same or not much diff. Question is how much luggage the travel partners will want to carry with vs leave with the hotel and Regent to be transported earlier :-)