disembarkation process at each port and ST. Thomas question

Kristianmom3x

New to the forums and just posted in another area but was directed to this site as it's strictly NCL based.

I'm fairly new to cruising, have been on a carnival cruise previously but this will be my first with NCL (Breakaway). Heading out in November for a 14 day cruise with 8 ports of call. Can anyone tell me how long the disembarkation process takes at each port? For example, our St. Thomas port is scheduled for 8am-6pm. Will we be let off the ship right at 8am, and about how long does the process take to get everyone off in case we are toward the end?

Also have a question about St. Thomas. We have a few things we would like to do but i'm not sure if there will be time to do them all. We want to go to Mountain Top for a quick view, and also maybe the waterfront tent vendors for some trinket souvenirs (or does anyone have a better idea for small souvenirs, especially hand made stuff preferably NOT from china lol) Not looking to spend hours shopping, just grab some simple inexpensive souvenirs to bring home, then we were also interested in Coral World/Coki beach for snorkeling. Does anyone know if we are biting off more than we can chew with these 3 things? I don't know the distance or travel time between each place so any help would be appreciated!

Getting off the ship at port stops usually begins no later than about 30 minutes after docking. The port officials have to clear the ship for that first though. And exiting the , other than the first initial rush, is pretty quick, no more than a few minutes after you go get in line to do so. That is a pretty long stop in St. Thomas. There is quite a large shopping area right around the docking area. And additionally, I suggest a short cab ride to the actual downtown area. Old St. Thomas is there with narrow streets lined with all type of shops.

Even though there are 4000+ passengers with you, disembarkation is usually pretty quick. Not everyone wants to be the first off the ship and organized shore excursions leave with their groups.

In St Thomas, once the ship docks, US Customs and Border Patrol needs to clear the ship before people are let off. Normally does not take too long.

I did not check your itinerary to see if you have any tender ports. Those can be a little more tricky since 4000+ passengers need to leave by tender (lifeboats or larger local boats). You can reserve a time to "get in line" at the box office, on your stateroom TV, or touch panels in public areas. Getting in line does not equate to getting in a tender which does not equate to being ashore. Each step takes time.

Enjoy your cruise, it should be fantastic.

Thanks for the info so far! Please keep it coming, I need all I can get LOL... We are not anchored out at any of our ports of call, so we won't have to worry about being tendered. In St. Thomas we will be at the Havensight pier.

I plan to take cabs to all my stops to maximize time. Anyone know how far/time it takes to get to mountain top from the ship? I only want to go there for a quick stop just to take a pic of the view and maybe chug a banana daiquiri just to say I was there! Also, the shopping I want to do would just be souvenir stuff, not looking to spend much time shopping either. The main chunk of time would be at Coki beach. I really would like to be able to get to both Mountain Top and Coki beach if possible. I've seen that it's 40 minutes to Coki beach from pier, but if anyone can tell me how far from ship to Mountain Top it would help me decide if there will be time for everything.

The fastest way to get to the Mountain top would be to take the Skyride to Paradise point. The cost is $21 a person for adult & $10.50 for child ages 6-12. Children 5 years and under ride free. It is right next to the cruise ship dock. You could easily do everything that you want to do in St Thomas. http://Www.ridetheview.com It probably takes about 5 min to get to the top & then you can spend as much time as you want before you head back down.

Edited by Seatbelt_Bag_LOVE

Hmmm, I might be confused on this so can someone clarify for me.... I thought that the skyride was right across from the Havensight pier and went to Paradise Point and I thought that Mountain Top was a completely different area of the island closer to Magens Bay beach. Am I confusing the two places or are they one in the same?:confused:

New to the forums and just posted in another area but was directed to this site as it's strictly NCL based.

I'm fairly new to cruising, have been on a carnival cruise previously but this will be my first with NCL (Breakaway). Heading out in November for a 14 day cruise with 8 ports of call. Can anyone tell me how long the disembarkation process takes at each port? For example, our St. Thomas port is scheduled for 8am-6pm. Will we be let off the ship right at 8am, and about how long does the process take to get everyone off in case we are toward the end?

Also have a question about St. Thomas. We have a few things we would like to do but i'm not sure if there will be time to do them all. We want to go to Mountain Top for a quick view, and also maybe the waterfront tent vendors for some trinket souvenirs (or does anyone have a better idea for small souvenirs, especially hand made stuff preferably NOT from china lol) Not looking to spend hours shopping, just grab some simple inexpensive souvenirs to bring home, then we were also interested in Coral World/Coki beach for snorkeling. Does anyone know if we are biting off more than we can chew with these 3 things? I don't know the distance or travel time between each place so any help would be appreciated!

At most ports you can begin to get off at the stated arrival time. It is rare that it is delayed at all. The only issue will be if people are slow.

In St. Thomas the three things you want to do are very easy and you will have plenty of time. I would suggest that you go to town and shop first, then go to Mountain Top then go to the beach. Going this way you will be almost going in a circle. None of the distances are that far, though it is about 30 minutes by cab to Coki/Coral World.

BTW, depending on how long you saty at the beach you could accomplish all that you want to do before lunch in St. Thomas. Time will not be an issue for you. In fact it will probably be dark before the ship departs to give you an idea of how long you will be there.

Edited by zqvol

Hmmm, I might be confused on this so can someone clarify for me.... I thought that the skyride was right across from the Havensight pier and went to Paradise Point and I thought that Mountain Top was a completely different area of the island closer to Magens Bay beach. Am I confusing the two places or are they one in the same?:confused:

They are not the same place. You are correct.

The mountain top is up a lot of twisty roads. And yes, a banana daiquiri at the top, although already blended in a machine and too expensive. Wait until you get home and make your own. In a cab it's about 20 or 30 minutes up to the top. There are a lot of shuttles going up there though available at the dock area.

Thanks for the info so far! Please keep it coming, I need all I can get LOL... We are not anchored out at any of our ports of call, so we won't have to worry about being tendered. In St. Thomas we will be at the Havensight pier.

I plan to take cabs to all my stops to maximize time. Anyone know how far/time it takes to get to mountain top from the ship? I only want to go there for a quick stop just to take a pic of the view and maybe chug a banana daiquiri just to say I was there! Also, the shopping I want to do would just be souvenir stuff, not looking to spend much time shopping either. The main chunk of time would be at Coki beach. I really would like to be able to get to both Mountain Top and Coki beach if possible. I've seen that it's 40 minutes to Coki beach from pier, but if anyone can tell me how far from ship to Mountain Top it would help me decide if there will be time for everything.

IIRC Mountain Top has lots of souvenirs for sale. So maybe you could get them there?

• 8 months later...
Even though there are 4000+ passengers with you, disembarkation is usually pretty quick. Not everyone wants to be the first off the ship and organized shore excursions leave with their groups.

In St Thomas, once the ship docks, US Customs and Border Patrol needs to clear the ship before people are let off. Normally does not take too long.

I did not check your itinerary to see if you have any tender ports. Those can be a little more tricky since 4000+ passengers need to leave by tender (lifeboats or larger local boats). You can reserve a time to "get in line" at the box office, on your stateroom TV, or touch panels in public areas. Getting in line does not equate to getting in a tender which does not equate to being ashore. Each step takes time.

Enjoy your cruise, it should be fantastic.

Hi, BirdTravels, you always have such great information. Do we always have US Customs in St Thomas? We will stop at St. Thomas and then at Nassua before arriving back at Port Canaveral.

Hi there! Mountain Top (view of north side St Thomas to include BVIs) and Paradise Point (south side and view of St Croix on a clear day) are 2 different places. MountainTop, you need a taxi. Great souvenir shop up there, thus you skip town. Coki Point and the Aquarium is not too far, again would need a cab but you should find that pretty easy. I agree: frozen banana drinks are great and be sure it has Cruzan rum☺ and enjoy the view!

from jojoshumate@hotmail.com, here in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands

If it were me, I'd substitute Paradise Point for Mountain Top, it's too far away. PP is right where you get off the ship, the views are spectacular, and the Painkillers ( like a very potent mudslide ) are to die for.

I would not do the shopping first. Much more efficient to arrive back in the port area after the beach and shop your way back to the ship. Otherwise you have to take any packages to the beach with you. And, better to be close to the ship as departure time nears rather than a lengthy taxi ride across the island.

I'd head to Coki first before it gets crowded, and hot. Then maybe do PP for late lunch and Painkiller on the shaded, breezy patio with the killer view. Then shop your way back to the ship. The stores I saw all had nice stuff. You could shop for hours. I don't recall any handmade items.