Santorini - Can I do it all?

shainky84

I'll be visiting Santorini on Thurs, June 23, while sailing on Celebrity Reflection. We arrive at 7am and depart at 6pm (18:00). I want to visit, and have some time to sightsee/explore, both Fira and Oia. I want to see the ruins at Akrotiri and enjoy a winery or two. Everyone says I should also see the black sand beach.

It is possible to do all of these things in one day? Can it done without breaking the bank and paying a fortune for a private tour guide for the day? What tours do people recommend?

This is my first-ever cruise, so I wonder how the tendering process plays into all of this. Our booking class comes with priority tendering, so it is possible (and if so, can we do so) to book a ship tour for the first part of the day and then do our own thing?

Thanks.

So easy to get around on your own with a rental car. Tony's Rent A Car is excellent and Tony will give you maps. I did it once and I'm doing it again. You don't have to pick and choose where you go; you can do it all. Tony's is just a few minutes walk from the cable car. Check him out. You won't be disappointed.

Could you, maybe if you rented a car but why would you. All you would have time to do would be to check off a box that you had done each of those. My advice is to narrow your list down and take the time to smell the roses at which ever spots you visit.

We got off the ship early and went straight to Tony's car rental. We drove straight to Oia, as that is where we really wanted to spend the majority of our time. Anything else was just an added bonus. Fortunately, we were the only ship in port, so the town was not crowded, and we spent the quality time we wanted to in Oia before the tour buses arrived.

We had time to drive around the island a little bit, along the beaches, and stopping at a winery (can't remember the name) and the Yellow Donkey brewing company (I think it might be called Santorini Brewing). We dropped the car off and made it for the last tender back to the ship in time for the spectacular sunset.

We were pretty much "ruined-out" after visiting Athens, Rhodes, Ephesus, and other places, so the ruins on Santorini didn't interest us too much.

Pick one or two things you absolutely must see and stick to that. Otherwise just rushing around to tick off boxes and not really taking time to enjoy the island and what it has to offer is quite stressful.

Edited by brunello22

Could you, maybe if you rented a car but why would you. All you would have time to do would be to check off a box that you had done each of those. My advice is to narrow your list down and take the time to smell the roses at which ever spots you visit.

I couldn't agree more.

Narrow the list down and take your time.

Kirk, well said.

Keith

Ditto. We used Tony's and did everything you listed but the beach. We did have a relaxing lunch at an out of the way tavern as well. I recommend using the mules on your way back to the ship. You waste too much time in line waiting for the lift. The walk down is an option. It takes about 45 minutes but it is slick due to the smooth rock paving and the powdered animal waste.

So easy to get around on your own with a rental car. Tony's Rent A Car is excellent and Tony will give you maps. I did it once and I'm doing it again. You don't have to pick and choose where you go; you can do it all. Tony's is just a few minutes walk from the cable car. Check him out. You won't be disappointed.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone rented an ATV in Santorini? DH and I want to spend the day in Oia and want to get there as fast as possible and not have to wait forever for buses or taxis. Is this a good option or are we better off taking the bus?

One cruiser's experience here:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=201276

It's an old thread but there is definitely a more recent positive report also.