Long Review of Liberty of the Seas (2/14 - 2/21) – Just out of Dry Dock

Thank you for taking the time to submit this well detailed review. I am glad you and your family had a great cruise vacation.

Did you happen to notice if they still had the "suite guest" reserved seating at the main pool? We will have to compete with the chair hogs in April, but splurged for our first GS this November.

Yes, they had suite guest reserved seating. They also have a suite lounge up on the Crown Lounge deck.

Enjoy your suite!

Great review. We just went on our first cruise on Liberty December 2015 and will be going again January 2017 with total of 9 of us! Really looking forward to the water slides! I was wondering if you went to or heard anything about the new restaurant, Sabor. Also wondering what other Cozumel excursions are good. Would like a beach day. Last time we went we did Chichen Itza, which I'm glad we did once, but I don't feel the need to do that pilgrimage again - lot of bus and not much park time. Thanks again for the review.

Thanks for the review! I have booked the Drury Inn too and I wondered about the airport shuttle, when arriving. How was it? Any other hotel specific comments?

I was looking forward to the slides and even more so after reading your review! :p

The shuttle was easy and the driver was friendly (as was everyone else at the hotel, as I had mentioned). Once you get your luggage, you call the hotel, and the van arrives in about 10 minutes.

The hotel also has a happy hour that runs, I believe, from 5:30 to 7. They had pasta and meatballs, nachos, salad, free drinks. On the second night, they had macaroni and cheese and, I believe, chicken wings in place of the pasta and meatballs. Nothing to get too excited about, but we just had that as our dinner, because there was no where else to go nearby. There's a Courtyard by Marriott right next door (different from the Marriott I mentioned in my review). I have stayed at those places before, and they tend to have some fairly good dinner options if the happy hour food won't tide you over.

My kids (and I) enjoyed the indoor pool and jacuzzi.

We usually bring on board 2 bottles of wine that we like to drink on our balcony over the course of the week. There aren't any wine stores nearby, but there is a "Hong Kong Food Market," which is a big Asian food market in a dumpy shopping center about 3 blocks away. I was surprised to find I was able to buy wine there. There were also a couple of Asian food restaurants in that complex. The neighborhood is kind of industrial and not great, so use your judgment and don't walk there at night.

As I said, the hotel, wasn't fancy, but it was clean and nice with friendly service, and I would definitely stay there again. The breakfast was convenient as well (hot and continental).

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by CruiseDad-NYC

Great review. We just went on our first cruise on Liberty December 2015 and will be going again January 2017 with total of 9 of us! Really looking forward to the water slides! I was wondering if you went to or heard anything about the new restaurant, Sabor. Also wondering what other Cozumel excursions are good. Would like a beach day. Last time we went we did Chichen Itza, which I'm glad we did once, but I don't feel the need to do that pilgrimage again - lot of bus and not much park time. Thanks again for the review.

You are going to love the slides! I am sure the Boomerango will be up and running by then. I walked by Sabor, which used to be where that small night club was near the front of the ship. I thought the menu looked good, but I thought the charge was expensive for what it was (I think it might have been $50 a person).

Chankanaab is a good excursion (you don't need to do it through the ship. Just hop in a cab, and it is about 10 minutes away). There's a lot of info on it here and elsewhere, and I would be happy to go back there even though I've been a bunch of times. There are some other beach clubs, too. There was a club called Mr. Sanchos a few hundred yards down the beach next door to Nachi Cocum. It was more crowded with more activity (which is a plus for some people, me not so much) and had water floats and stuff to play on out in the water. You could look into that. I walked over to it and while it would not be me first choice, I would probably do it if I couldn't get into Nachi Cocum. In terms of crowds, Mr. Sanchos seemed kind of like Magen's Bay in St. Thomas, in case you have been there. It was the same stretch of beach, and very beautiful.

They also have some small ruins on the island that I visited way back in grad school, but they will pale in comparison to Chichen Itza, which I went to a long time ago.

Enjoy your trip!

Don't know how large your group is, but we have used Super Shuttle to Galveston before.

Also try the Gulf Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

The hotel also mentioned a bus service called Galveston Express, but I had decided just to take a cab and did not look into it.

Great review, Thanks. Where is the diamond lounge located? Do you know if there were any discounts for the drink package for diamond members? Thanks

The Diamond Lounge is up on the Crown Lounge deck, tucked back in the corner behind the Crown Lounge bar. The room is small and was crowded the first 2 nights and the last night, but so bad the other nights. I don't do the drink packages, so I don't know if they offer discounts. But, if you are a Diamond level, they put 3 free drinks on your account and you are able to order them at almost any bar on the ship except for the restaurant bars, I believe. Just ask for the "Crown and Anchor" drink menu during those times at the bars, and you will see what you can get (it is not full access to everything, but the selections were very good, I thought).

Sabor Restaurant was present on other ships out of Galveston, such as the Navigator, and is now being positioned on many ships the fleet. I suspect that it will be the go to replacement for the disco located on Decks 4 and 3 of the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Upscale Mexican (not just Tex Mex), Great Tapas and Margarita's. Large selection of Tequila's.

Usually discounted the first day.

The hotel also mentioned a bus service called Galveston Express, but I had decided just to take a cab and did not look into it.

I've read about that service on the Gulf Departures forum, but don't recall if they are still recommended. They are in dire need of competition there, because the prices for transfers are about double of Port Canaveral. I think the lack of a viable rental car option keeps the shuttle prices high.

I've read about that service on the Gulf Departures forum, but don't recall if they are still recommended. They are in dire need of competition there, because the prices for transfers are about double of Port Canaveral. I think the lack of a viable rental car option keeps the shuttle prices high.

I used Galveston Express in November and was very pleased. The vehicles are new, clean and comfortable. The shuttle arrived on time and I received a text message that my shuttle had just arrived. Prices are now $25pp from Hobby and $30pp from IAH. I will use it again when not driving to the port.

I used Galveston Express in November and was very pleased. The vehicles are new, clean and comfortable. The shuttle arrived on time and I received a text message that my shuttle had just arrived. Prices are now $25pp from Hobby and $30pp from IAH. I will use it again when not driving to the port.

Thanks for the info. Hope they continue to prosper, because that is a much more reasonable price than the competition.:)

Even on a Sunday morning? [emoji16]

I live in Houston. Sunday morning shouldn't be bad, but construction and traffic can pop up at any time. The biggest problem will be Super Bowl Sunday since it's in Houston in 2017. That is going to be a nightmare. Expensive flights, no hotels, lots of traffic... Yikes!

Very nice review, since you are from NY , did you try the pizza and how was it?

Yes, had plenty of pizza, both up in the Windjammer and at Sorrento's on the Promenade deck. It's not like NY pizza, but still enjoyed it and it was readily available.

Incidentally, Sorrento's had small salads with grilled chicken on top at lunch time. They were served in containers. On one of the sea days, my wife and I were up in the Solarium. She went down and picked us up a couple of slices and each of us one of the salads and we had it in the Solarium and were able to avoid the crowd of the Windjammer (and, frankly, was a good alternative to all of the heavy eating!)

Yes, had plenty of pizza, both up in the Windjammer and at Sorrento's on the Promenade deck. It's not like NY pizza, but still enjoyed it and it was readily available.

Incidentally, Sorrento's had small salads with grilled chicken on top at lunch time. They were served in containers. On one of the sea days, my wife and I were up in the Solarium. She went down and picked us up a couple of slices and each of us one of the salads and we had it in the Solarium and were able to avoid the crowd of the Windjammer (and, frankly, was a good alternative to all of the heavy eating!)

Thanks. I guess I save most of my Pizza eating till our May trip to NYC, but we will visit Sorrento in April

Wow, thanks for this information! I think my daughter & I will do this one day.

I do not remember but is the solarium open air or covered?

Edited by BLAMBKY

Wow, thanks for this information! I think my daughter & I will do this one day.

I do not remember but is the solarium open air or covered?

The solarium is open air in the center where the pool is. On the sides, it is covered and shady. This is also where the overhanging hot tubs are.

We were in our chaises in the shady part toward the upper right hand side of the Solarium, next to the window. In front of us, there were 2 swinging chairs that looked out onto the water and, additionally, there were 2 sets of 2 chairs and a small table in case you were laying out in the sun somewhere else and wanted to sit up and have lunch in the shade.

We're flying in and out of IAH and wondered what taxi fares might be. Ouch, pricey. Thanks for that info. We're part of a larger family reunion group and looking at chartering a bus to bring down the cost per person.

Just a suggestion since you are flying into IAH rent a car/van from enterprise especially if you are flying in a day early. You will have transportation to enjoy Galveston and then you can drop your family and luggage off at the cruise terminal and then go drop off the car to enterprise and they will bring you back. They may even meet you at the cruise terminal and pick up the car from your there.