All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Soft Surroundings opened a store near me but I have yet to go in there. I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm most curious about the quality of the clothing. I'm usually attracted to several different pieces. I also like that silhouette on the skirt. I don't think it's very FIRE...maybe it's just my monitor though? It looks like it blends pretty nicely with the terracotta pots and the flowers kind of rule over that skirt...and in the photo with the coral/rose colored one, it just doesn't compete...I always ask myself if I can picture my Mom wearing it...and I can't...but again...IRL can be so much different from the photo.

Yes I love that sweater! At least the color...and the button detail is very fun. I like it in the modeled photo...but I really dislike the buttons in the folded shirt photo. More proof of how the lighting can have such a drastic affect on the photos. Wrap shirts/dresses are a hard fit for me though...

DH is with us this week so he isn't caught up in your storm...hope you stay warm and safe!

I've been away from the boards again, and just caught up reading.

Oh, my, Laurie! Please be safe. You too, Margaret!

Melody, I hope you heal in record time. Happy trips to you and Sally.

Mousey, it's always fun to hear your stories. Happy trip to visit with BFFs.

Anita, please report back when you've laid eyeballs on the items at Soft Surroundings. Their catalogs always make me think they are skewed to EARTH colors and I can't decide if it's the lighting or actual garment colors. I usually only think ivory items look like FIRE colors in their catalogs. I always like the greens Melody chooses, but the skirt looks EARTHy on my monitor too.

Like others mentioned, we've been taking a few weekend trips lately. It seems to help my winter doldrums. This is very telling of my husband and my personalities, but while others may spend weekends in wine country, we attended a recent Chuckwagon Cookoff in Pigeon Forge, TN. Don't let anyone tell you the Smokey Mountains are closed because of the recent horrendous fires. Tourism is alive and well and they are eager for visitors to come and spend money. LOL

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/events/chuckwagon-cookoff-competition/

Well, got the results of my MRI. The bones in the foot have fused (as much as they're going to anyway). Love the comment from the radiologist, "this foot has had more damage than I've ever seen & still be attached; that being said it appears to be healing." So I guess I may still have a foot! Just have to hope that it will stay that way!

That Soft Surroundings skirt didn't look very earthy on me, but I did have on a lime green top that might have skewed the color somewhat, it's a very flattering cut.

Debbie, your weekend trip to the chuck wagon cook off sounds like a hoot, I love trips like that

Laurie, you sure got a bunch of white stuff going on there! We were 74 here in CO today, wildfires all over the place

I get to soak my foot tomorrow, cannot wait! Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd gladly send you the snow if I could, Melody. :) Wildfires...how awful. We never get those in New York, but occasionally, in a very dry summer, we get small brush fires. As much as I mumble about the snow, I think I'm very fortunate. Hurricanes, floods, wildfires, earthquakes....those are so much worse.

Today was good. We started out with light snow in the morning, but as the day went on, the sun came out. It's not warm by any means, but around here, if it is sunny and 30, we get some snow melt. The roads were quite nice today.

That picture yesterday of my driveway was when we got home from the game. Yes, we went to the basketball game in that. That was nothing compared to the previous day.

I will have to check out Soft Surroundings. We don't have a store around here, but I can take a look online. I'm excited about any store that may have earth colors, although it's business attire that I really need. I had a big meeting today and wore my olive suit. It looked nice, but when I got dressed this morning, I realized it was too big. It's not huge, but it's baggy and I had to really think about what I was wearing with it to try and make it look less sloppy looking.

It looks like I might need to buy the olive suit at Express after all. I'm going to see if it is on sale still. I ignored it before, even though it was a nice earthy colored suit because I had an olive suit. As soon as it warms up, I can grab the khaki suit out of the closet and see if it still fits. I had the jacket on the other day, and it was okay. A bit loose but not terrible. I'm just hoping the pants still fit. They should, as I recall they were a bit snugger than I wanted when I put them away til warmer weather. They should be just right now.

Laurie, It is rewarding but frustrating to have to keep buying clothes as you lose weight . I pulled out a pair of white jeans that I bought in Chico's last year and they were too big . I think I only wore them once or twice .From now on any better clothes that are too large are going on ebay so at least I can recoup some money .I have donated too many expensive clothes to goodwill .

Melody , I am so glad you are healing .

I forgot who asked, but "Yes" Spirit has small planes. I hate that airline! Just a fluke that I"m flying it. It's just for an hour from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. But still....I'm dreading it...and..I still haven't found the right size suitcase so I'm going to call and change the carry on to a checked baggage.

Melody, great news! Keep on healing!

Laurie, your snow pics are beautiful! Sorry your team didn't make the cut. Ours (the University of Arizona) just won the Pac 10 Championship. They're still in the running and just won their first game as they continue on. Sorry about your ex's passing and condolences to your daughters.

Having breakfast out with the DS this morning...whenever he wakes up...may turn into having brunch or lunch...LOL!

I forgot who asked, but "Yes" Spirit has small planes. I hate that airline! Just a fluke that I"m flying it. It's just for an hour from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. But still....I'm dreading it...and..I still haven't found the right size suitcase so I'm going to call and change the carry on to a checked baggage.

Melody, great news! Keep on healing!

Laurie, your snow pics are beautiful! Sorry your team didn't make the cut. Ours (the University of Arizona) just won the Pac 10 Championship. They're still in the running and just won their first game as they continue on. Sorry about your ex's passing and condolences to your daughters.

Having breakfast out with the DS this morning...whenever he wakes up...may turn into having brunch or lunch...LOL!

Mousey, since you don't like the Spirit small plane why not get off in Orlando, rent a car & drive, its only a couple of hours. Melody.

I went into the local Soft Surroundings store today. If you have one, I noted that several things in their sale area are not on the web site, FWIW. There was one skirt in a muted dark print that was nice but not in my size.

Sadly, so many of the things I wanted to see were not in the store, including that one green skirt Margaret posted. I did see the one shirt that looked like Anita and it was a lovely color IMO, but a bad style for me. Margaret, did you see this one:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Danielle_Button_Top/

If Ireland Green was the color in the store, it's a lovely bluer teal color that totally reminded me of you. It has a button detail too like that other top, and surprisingly enough, they include replacements with the shirt. I really liked it myself, there's something quite nice about a knit button down... I have a newer shirt I picked up that has a similar collar and it's very flattering to have the lapels like that on the V neck.

All in all I would say that the construction of the clothes seemed pretty good...but the store was quite small and I was disappointed in the selection since the few things I really wanted to see weren't there.

In light hearted news, we went to see Kaleo and the Lumineers when they were here in Atlanta. TOTALLY AWESOME! We saw Kaleo a while back in a smaller venue and I did enjoy that Kaleo performance more but the Lumineers were surprisingly good in the huge arena.

These days I don't usually get concert tees because I don't care for the designs too much, but both bands had great tees. Kaleo's was actually cream colored with a denim colored design like a mandala on it. I absolutely love it. It's so fun to have a concert tee that I would like anyway!

Anita, I like that blouse. That one wasn't in our store. Strange how every store has different things than the catalog. I have to be very careful with button down blouses, they tend to gap on me. Melody

I love that shirt, especially that muted rust like color. The buttons are not all warm so that bothers me. However, I have a big button collection so I could replace some. I will wait for it to go on sale. I like the cream as well. I can see thar in spring or fall with a scarf. Maybe skinny jeans or leggings. I'm not a big leggings fan but I like some of them.

I have trouble with button down shirts as well but I don't think it is an issue with this one.

Well our snow is melting a bit but I think we are supposed to get some more snow. At least it's not a blizzard.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Melody...I think when we talked about fit a while back, we both had bigger shoulders than "average"? I know that when I was fitting a particular shirt pattern, I discovered that. The tightness across that area of the shoulder does translate into ADDITIONAL pulling on the shirt (besides the potential from a voluptuous figure;)), which is one reason why I like knit button down shirts...they tend to be a bit more forgiving in the fit. I didn't try that shirt on...I wasn't really in a trying clothes on kind of mood...I was disappointed that so many of the things I wanted to see weren't there.

Have you seen this skirt IRL?

https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Desert_Stars_Skirt/

I saw the blue print one with the rust bottom (Zagara) and the multi-colored one (Spring Fling), which seem to be similar with the sheer overlay kind of design. I really like the buttery appearance of the Desert Stars Skirt. And of course, I love the whole outfit...the tan tank and the soft aqua scarf. So pricey but so pretty! Sadly, it also WASN'T in my store.:mad:

Anita, I love that skirt! Actually, I really like the whole outfit! I didn't see it in our store, but I think I'll go see. The prices are considerably more than I like to pay & their sales aren't exceptional (yet). I do have broad (swimmers) shoulders. Actually my only button down blouse is a tuxedo front with knit insert on the sides, if I ever find another like it I'll buy every color they have. I'm taking it on this cruise, will try for a picture. Melody

I really like that chiffon skirt . If I hadn't already bought things for dinner nights on my cruise I would be tempted to purchase the whole outfit . Soft surroundings does have an online outlet which occasionally has items I have considered . Otherwise they are slightly pricey .

Anita, does the quality justify the slightly pricey that Sally mentioned? I receive Soft Surroundings catalogs and have often wondered. By the way, have you been sewing lately? Soft Surroundings reminds me of the piece-y and lace-added layers that you like. I love the look but I'm not sure the look loves me so much.

Laurie, I've been thinking of you and your girls since I read the news. Please give them my condolences too.

Mousey, enjoy your time with DS. It does fly by. My baby boy is now 31, and an old married man.

Sally, how soon will you begin packing?

Margaret, sorry to hear that your spring break won't be spent relaxing. I'm afraid that time may be quickly approaching for me also.

I would say that the quality of what I saw was well made and the fabric itself was very nice, meaning that it was soft (not sure how long wearing it would be or if it would "pill" with wear or resist pilling) and had a nice weight to it...not too thin and having a nice drape without having too much weight. The one skirt that I was considering in the sale section had been in the $80-90 range...then marked down to $59.95...and then it was marked down again to $39.95. It was definitely a good buy at $40...but you would have to really like the skirt...both the fabric, color, and style for it to be worth full price.

So...I guess my thoughts are that the prices aren't so outlandish that if the style, color, fit combo clicks...the quality stands up to the price...but personally, I would prefer to not pay those prices for clothing at this time because I am hopeful for improving my fitness and that would mean needing smaller clothing...so again, I would have to be really selective in what I would buy. If I were being truly selection and looking for my FAV skirt...a go to item...then I might splurge on the full price it was that rare magical find.

If you are referring to all my pins! with all those looks that I like? I have been having a lot of fun looking at upcycling clothing etc. I haven't really been sewing...I did a hem for DS' xGF on her prom dress. It kind of hit the spark. I wanted to have a project or two that would be a bit easier than hitting the fabric stash. I did a sweep through GoodWill a few weeks past and found some great linen plaid men's shirts that I really like the fabric...and I've liked so many men's dress shirt restyles...I think I'm going to do one of those. Also...I picked up a fun light weight maxi skirt way too big for me, but I liked the fabric so much...I'm figuring out how I want to alter that...I'm debating just altering the waist down...but also debating turning it into pants because I think there is enough fabric to do that. I'm kind of obsessing over this idea of what they are calling a butterfly pant. It's kind of like a wrap around pant / Asian fisherman style pant but the wrap is fixed and there is a kind of corset-like adjustable are to the waist band with some elastic back. I've been thinking about the different ways to keep fun lightweight pants adjustable to support my progress...

But I haven't actually done any sewing yet.

You may have seen that I'm also checking out furniture refurbishing. I have several pieces of furniture that, due to all the moving, need some TLC. They are lovely pieces of furniture...but they need some help. I've been focusing on fitness more with my time though.

Melody...I think when we talked about fit a while back, we both had bigger shoulders than "average"? I know that when I was fitting a particular shirt pattern, I discovered that. The tightness across that area of the shoulder does translate into ADDITIONAL pulling on the shirt (besides the potential from a voluptuous figure;)), which is one reason why I like knit button down shirts...they tend to be a bit more forgiving in the fit. I didn't try that shirt on...I wasn't really in a trying clothes on kind of mood...I was disappointed that so many of the things I wanted to see weren't there.

Have you seen this skirt IRL?

https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Desert_Stars_Skirt/

I saw the blue print one with the rust bottom (Zagara) and the multi-colored one (Spring Fling), which seem to be similar with the sheer overlay kind of design. I really like the buttery appearance of the Desert Stars Skirt. And of course, I love the whole outfit...the tan tank and the soft aqua scarf. So pricey but so pretty! Sadly, it also WASN'T in my store.:mad:

Anita, I too have broad shoulders. Then the girls are also quite big. I agree that this styling and the knit fabric should take care of the problem.

That outfit is totally you, Anita. I love it, but I think that once I put it on, I'd realize that it isn't true to my personality. But how I love that!

I think maybe a good sale at this store would be something I would look at. I love how earthy the colors seem to be. That is so hard to find!

I found a coupon I had at home for Express that I was looking for. It was a really good one, and coupons online weren't close. So I ordered an olive suit. You may recall I said I had an olive suit but wanted one or two more in different colors. I wore the suit last week and it was too big. The jacket would have been a bear to adjust. The pants I could have, but I noticed that based on how they needed to be taken in, they were going to end up too short.

At this point, I will look for navy next. It isn't an earth color, but I have found some ways to tie it in with earth colors that work.

Of course, if anyone sees anything in an earth color, please let me know!!

I found a few sale items online at JC Penney. I also had 30% off. I was iffy on an ivory lace dress, because I have a formal ivory lace dress...it's not my best color, but not my worst. I just thought it might look too much like what I already have. There was another ivory lace dress that different as well. Based on the great sales pricing, I ordered both. I figured I could figure out if I wanted to keep one or none, and just bring them back to the mall. There was also a dress described as garnet, but that looked somewhat earthy online. I took a risk in the sizing too, not being sure what to order.

I figured I could post them, and then get some feedback from all of you.

This is the garnet dress. I like it. I'm not sure about the color, but I'm partial to shades of red and I think this works pretty well. I apologize in advance for my poses...could have been better! I was trying to let my shoulders be relaxed and not do the "lose your neck" thingy.

IMG_43601_zpsxn6rc7m7.jpg

Here is the first ivory dress. I think the fit is good. To wear it out, I would wear a smoother, just to avoid lines. I have one that I like right now - it's not a girdle or anything, it just makes things look neater.

IMG_43611_zps8nlubc9a.jpg

Then there is this one. My feeling is that it is too small. My daughters both seemed to think I just needed the smoother/brief thing. Before I could even say it, my daughters both said, "the neckline is totally you". I like that the lace is different.

IMG_43621_zpsvxxdfkaw.jpg

If the boobs don't shrink more, there is always reduction surgery. :rolleyes: Okay, I won't really do that. At least I've gone from a tight 40DD to a 36DD. I'm learning to live with it...slowly but surely!

Please let me know your thoughts. I was worried when ordering them they might look clubby somehow, or like I was trying too hard.