All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Harmony was the last ship I sailed on. DH and I took a week long cruise out of Port Canaveral on her in Feb 2020. I enjoy the Oasis class ships...when we get in the mood to sail on them. I think it is helpful to have been on them before so you know what to expect. I like all the dining options, of course there's the specialty restaurants, but there are also so many free options. I have no idea how they are handling all that these days. 

We got a specialty dining package and ate in specialty dining every dinner. We didn't try to max out that package too hard...I got a good deal on it IIRC and we might have had one specialty lunch. There are so many options and for real, sometimes DH and I just get in the mood for hot dogs and so we definitely hit that up once for lunch...

Harmony's solarium doesn't have a pool... It has a Wonderland restaurant. That was a fun dining experience, but our fave was actually the 150 Central Park, in part because the main guy running it was so good to us and I like the atmosphere in there...so quiet, I thought all the food at the specialty restaurants was good, so one didn't stand out as being so much better in that department. 

Today I purchased our airfare for London for DS's graduation...heart stopping price tag OMG. I also found an AirBnB near where his flat is. We'll be about a quarter mile away so that will be super convenient. July in London though...I didn't bother worrying about whether or not our rental has A/C but man, I hope it does. DS said that it would be around 100 degrees in his flat in the summer...this crazy weather...

Speaking of, DH is traveling to CO tomorrow...which is having the complete OPPOSITE of our expected record breaking heat this week. LOL.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, laurspag said:

I'm thinking a carpet runner.  I will find a picture of the style we like. 

We pulled our runner as it kept bunching up (even with brass fittings at tread). We replaced with wall to wall carpeting on the treads. Hated to cover the oak treads, but this is much safer for me (& lots quieter)

14 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Harmony was the last ship I sailed on. DH and I took a week long cruise out of Port Canaveral on her in Feb 2020. I enjoy the Oasis class ships...when we get in the mood to sail on them. I think it is helpful to have been on them before so you know what to expect. I like all the dining options, of course there's the specialty restaurants, but there are also so many free options. I have no idea how they are handling all that these days. 

We got a specialty dining package and ate in specialty dining every dinner. We didn't try to max out that package too hard...I got a good deal on it IIRC and we might have had one specialty lunch. There are so many options and for real, sometimes DH and I just get in the mood for hot dogs and so we definitely hit that up once for lunch...

Harmony's solarium doesn't have a pool... It has a Wonderland restaurant. That was a fun dining experience, but our fave was actually the 150 Central Park, in part because the main guy running it was so good to us and I like the atmosphere in there...so quiet, I thought all the food at the specialty restaurants was good, so one didn't stand out as being so much better in that department. 

Today I purchased our airfare for London for DS's graduation...heart stopping price tag OMG. I also found an AirBnB near where his flat is. We'll be about a quarter mile away so that will be super convenient. July in London though...I didn't bother worrying about whether or not our rental has A/C but man, I hope it does. DS said that it would be around 100 degrees in his flat in the summer...this crazy weather...

Speaking of, DH is traveling to CO tomorrow...which is having the complete OPPOSITE of our expected record breaking heat this week. LOL.

Hope DH gets in, serious snow expected Denver area west & it’s about 6 degrees. 

we were on Harmony in December with family. We had a great time but really disliked no pool in Solarium. Chops was insanely loud (we were there for our anniversary . There was a table of 16 right beside our table of 2 with a kid (about 4) that must’ve been eating sugar for the entire day, running & screaming, no one saying a word to him.  He came screaming up to me I gave him the evil eye, didn’t say anything. He went back to his seat & said to the table that lady scared me. The adults turned & looked at me, I smiled & raised my wine glass, they turned around. They Left shortly after that. There was another family in the corner (teenaged boy, 4-5 year old boy & baby girl). All behaving beautifully, the little guy kept looking at the noisy kid & looked very disapproving. The family started to leave, I stopped the teen & said I’d like to speak to your Mom, kid looked horrified, but told her. We told her how much we’d enjoyed watching a well behaved family. She turned to her older son & said, see people do notice. The 4 year old nodded. Dad said they were threatened with dire things if they acted out.  I laughed & said it worked. The maitre d came up as we were leaving & offered us a comp night at 150 Central Park the next night, we accepted. That was a lovely quiet meal. Melody

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

DH was able to fly in just fine. All the flights from MCO were yesterday. I'm sure it was shocking though. We were 90 yesterday and it was -11 with wind chill when he arrived yesterday evening!

Lucky he flew to CO and not UT!  For the first time that I can rememeber, SLC had lots of cancellations due to all the snow at the airport - up to 20" overnight on Tuesday into Wednesday.  

• Like 1

This may sound odd, but I have never been in the pool on any of my cruises.  We've used the hot tub, but not the pool.  So I guess I should look and see where those are on Harmony!  

I have contemplated the specialty dining package for us.  I go back and forth.  I have always liked the dining room experience as well as what we call "date nights" where we go to a specialty restaurant once or twice.  If memory serves me right, I didn't love the dining room when we were on Allure.  It seems so long ago now. 2017, I think?  

I'm not keen on the cost of adding that on.  A lot of people say the additional cost covers gratuity, but I always feel compelled to tip extra.  I don't know...maybe I should book the dining package, cancel the gratuities, and then pay them on my own?  In the big picture of things, it would make sense if we went with the dining package.  Paying for waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter...that can all be turned into the tip for the specialty dining.  We can then add more too if we feel the service is exceptional.

There is so much to choose from with all the dining!  I love all sorts of things.  7 days is a lot of eating out at restaurants, lol.  The main dining room has smaller quantities.  I know you have both mentioned some restaurants, but which ones did you go to, and what did you think of each?  

Note to Melody: the advantage of a hearing loss is not hearing loud kids in a restaurant, lol.  

I can only imagine what flying to London must be like.  Have you visited him in London?  I seem to remember something about that.  I can't remember if it was before he started school or not.

This weather is kind of nutty.  We have not had a normal winter by any means.  We have not had much snow.  We have had rain.  When it is cold, it is dry.  We have had some bitter cold on a few occasions and a total white out not long ago.  Currently, we have had freezing rain for about 24 hours.  Fortunately, the ice cover roads have been during the night so my drive to and from work has been fine.  

• Like 1

With DH in CO...I'm feeling chatty at home alone LOL...

Laurie...I went back on the thread and found where I talked about our Harmony cruise...

This link talks about embarkation day and making our reservations for the UDP...

Then the next post talks about breakfast, hot tubs, and dinner at Wonderland. Then the next one talks about lunches. Then you'd have to keep reading through discussion to find the rest of my report of our Harmony cruise. 

For the specialty dining on the UDP, what actually happened was a little different than what we originally reserved. I think that I had made my show reservations online...but I'm not 100% certain. Anyway, I know that the rescheduling of the aqua show ended up affecting our dining plans. It ended up that one of the Jamie's nights was replaced with 150 Central Park. We ate at 150 Central Park 3X!!, Chops 2X, and once each at Wonderland and Jamie's.

I know that Mom and Dad really enjoyed their Wonderland meal and at there a couple times...I think the atmosphere wasn't as great when we went...I recall that it was loud...the seating was okay...I think we ended up at a bench type seat where the tables are lined up along the bench so one person is on the bench and one person in a chair. My man at 150 Central Park steered me away from making more than the one reservation there and that worked out well for us. I wasn't enthused to repeat the experience on that one cruise. I would eat there again though...but once per cruise I think is enough for me.

We also ended up eating 2 lunches at Sabor. One on embarkation day and one on our San Juan day. Really enjoyed lunch there.

I reread my TR about Harmony and I stand by what I wrote previously. I love all the different breakfast options. And I do prefer lunch with a view. Dinner never really has a view...if you are eating in the evening and the sun sets...then dinner atmosphere ends up being more than the view. I really, really enjoy the atmosphere of Central Park, especially when there is music playing there. I love the subdued lighting, I like the cricket sounds, I like the plant material and the path...feels like a lovely courtyard to me and I thoroughly enjoy having a dinner that is there.

The UDP is expensive. I think there's no getting around that. I do enjoy the smaller dining venues though... they seem more catered to couples...so it feels nicer to me...and I enjoy having the dinner atmosphere be changed up...going to the different restaurants. For me, that's the fun of the Oasis class ships...you can just mix it all up.

I don't recall the quantities being large for dinner. Maybe Jamie's... I feel like I ordered a dinner salad...I recall something about chilled poached pears, candied pecans and Gorgonzola cheese on Bibb lettuce...fish that was served with veggies. I think DH and I would split dessert. Actually, IIRC there was some dessert at 150 Central that we liked so much, on our last meal there, we purposefully ate so that we DIDN'T split dessert! Some may say that we didn't get max value out of our UDP but value is subjective...I don't recall if I did an analysis of that...hmmmm

I think I must have done that on my own...I don't see a report on it. IIRC we didn't overspend on the UDP, but we didn't "save" a bunch by going over by a significant amount.

DH and I imagined that we would be going to London several times while DS was there. I think we thought we might go to mainland Europe as well...taking DS on trips when he wasn't in school...but we haven't been back to London since we first went to take him and move him over there when he first started. Thank you pandemic. Oh well. It will be that special to go in July. I've been overseas 3 times. DH has more trips than I but he doesn't count them because they were just for work and he didn't have any time to do anything that wasn't work related, but he went to England, Wales, and Germany, multiple times. I've been to Spain, at the end of the one TA cruise on Allure that I did my parents. And twice to London, once to check out London before DS went there on a short spring break trip, and the drop off trip. I really thought I would have gone many more times by now...

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 1

Laurie, we enjoyed the hot tubs in the solarium on Harmony (huge). The prepaid gratuities cover your room steward, wait staff & lots of behind the scene folks. We didn’t book a dining package (mostly because we ate with family) but you can’t book your day/time until you board & I wasn’t impressed with doing that. Shows are booked on the app as soon as you can checkin on app, that worked out beautifully. We enjoyed Grease, Columbus & 2 aqua shows & 1 ice show. Even with Les’s hearing loss he commented on the intense noise in Chops.

The family group is planning on sailing on the Wonder this coming November/December (out of Port Canaveral). My SIL sailed on Wonder last month & said she loved the pool in the solarium,  so, if timing works we’ll try to go. If so Anita maybe we could meet for coffee. We’d like to see where we used to live on Patrick AFB. Melody

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Laurie, we enjoyed the hot tubs in the solarium on Harmony (huge). The prepaid gratuities cover your room steward, wait staff & lots of behind the scene folks. We didn’t book a dining package (mostly because we ate with family) but you can’t book your day/time until you board & I wasn’t impressed with doing that. Shows are booked on the app as soon as you can checkin on app, that worked out beautifully. We enjoyed Grease, Columbus & 2 aqua shows & 1 ice show. Even with Les’s hearing loss he commented on the intense noise in Chops.

The family group is planning on sailing on the Wonder this coming November/December (out of Port Canaveral). My SIL sailed on Wonder last month & said she loved the pool in the solarium,  so, if timing works we’ll try to go. If so Anita maybe we could meet for coffee. We’d like to see where we used to live on Patrick AFB. Melody

Hit us up for some good food places at the port, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Melbourne when it's time! 

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hit us up for some good food places at the port, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Melbourne when it's time! 

Likely will, I’m sure none of our favorites from 83-86 are still there. We used to take the boat up from Patrick’ & dock it at Sunset Bar/Grill on Banana River at the Causeway. Then the kids got to drive the boat home ((16, 12, 10). Melody

• Like 1

Melody, if I canceled the prepaid gratuity because of the dining package, I would just pay our room steward and so forth separately.  Currently, we tend to pay extra on top of the prepaid anyway. 

I'll have to see what my husband thinks. 

Thank you for the feedback, Anita. In my past cruises, we have sailed on a lot of smaller ships, and I always find that I enjoy the dining room a lot more.  Generally, the bigger the ship, the more specialty dining appeals to us.  There are a lot of things that I remember very well from our Allure cruise, and the specialty dining was part of it.  

Melody, how is your foot and toe doing?  I hope you are feeling much better.  After our freezing rain I told you about, we ended up getting some snow.  Today was quiet, but I am hearing a few more storm fronts may be coming through the area.

I'm still in awe that your son is graduating, Anita.  I always joke with people that I know my kids have grown up, but I don't expect everyone else's kids to do the same.   I remember when they were still in high school and I would be posting pictures here, and now they are 30 and 34.  Time really flies.

I am slowly increasing my elliptical use, and it feels good.  My plan is to be on it quite a bit.  Of course, work gets in the way again.  I was just getting to the point where I was developing a decent work home balance and routine, and then we had some issues so I'm feeling off again.  I went to work for a few hours extra yesterday, and I'm about to start going through some paperwork I brought home with me.  Hopefully, we get everything straightened out soon, but I think it will be a while.  I am trying hard to take care of myself mentally and physically.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 9:19 AM, awhfy said:

If so Anita maybe we could meet for coffee. We’d like to see where we used to live on Patrick AFB. Melody

If you do sail on Wonder, I would absolutely LOVE to get together. However. Whenever. Doing whatever. I sent you an email with my updated email address.

Laurie...work life balance...OMG...it is a struggle. DH and I go through this all the time. IDK why it is so hard to find the time to really take care of yourself but it's true that finding that time can be so challenging. DH goes through that same struggle. I do my best to help...and we do what we can to really make the most of non-work time but the demands of work really eat into what should be non-work time more often than not. 

Back in October...I was thinking that it was time for me to start doing something more regularly again. I was trying to get into a new routine after moving to Orlando and DS going off to Uni in late 2019...I was so energized for a new lifestyle and just feeling like we were getting into the groove when March 2020 hit. Moving into our house purchase in July 2020, the inability to start new things because everything was not normal, and then being hospitalized in late 2021...and it just goes on...well in October 2022 I was thinking about how Zumba had started me on my wellness journey a decade ago OMG and took a look at our local YMCA, they were having a special to join in by the end of Oct with no joiner fee and only $13 for the first month...so we joined and I have faithfully been going to Zumba twice weekly since then. I just added in the Barre Fusion class...it is SUCH a great workout...focused on strengthening doing things that are very much like what I was doing for PT when I busted my ACL. So I'm to 3 classes weekly now...and walking/hiking nature trails on the weekends with DH at the very least...

It's a slow process but I've been making achievable goals that have nothing to do with progress necessarily except to being DOING and not concerned too much with what doing is actually doing, trusting that over time the doing will add up and progress will manifest as I keep adding a little bit here and there. I'm aiming to be consistent with everything that I decide to do and work myself up into a pillar of health and wellness. LOL. All I can say on that is to not stress too much about it all...because the stressing has such negative consequences.

• Like 2

Ooh, I miss my aqua Zumba classes so much!  Unfortunately I won’t be able to go back as they’ve changed the pool chemicals to ones that I’m allergic to.  Glad you’re back to it Anita & Laurie, good on the elliptical. Our oldest daughter uses her elliptical everyday after work. She calls it her de-stress hour 

foot is coming, I go to doc on Weds hopefully for better news than 2 weeks ago!!!  I’m hoping to become more mobile. Melody

• Like 1

Quoting you here, Anita:

It's a slow process but I've been making achievable goals that have nothing to do with progress necessarily except to being DOING and not concerned too much with what doing is actually doing, trusting that over time the doing will add up and progress will manifest as I keep adding a little bit here and there. I'm aiming to be consistent with everything that I decide to do and work myself up into a pillar of health and wellness. LOL. All I can say on that is to not stress too much about it all...because the stressing has such negative consequences.

THIS!!!!!

Anita, that really hits home for me.  When my husband and I started the whole gym journey a while back, it was all about working towards health and overall fitness.  It was not about being a size 8 or weighing 130 pounds or meeting some sort of goal by a certain date.  It was about taking care of myself, and making that process a part of my life for the long haul.  It became a part of my routine. Even when we all had to wear masks, I went back to the gym as soon as they were allowed to reopen.  Then so many things just threw me off: my husband's health, being short staffed at work, etc.

I currently just have the goal of being active, and doing something that is for me.

My work life balance struggles have always been there, but it got bad for a while, and finally one day I just fell into this sort of funk.  My husband was right there to help me through it all.  I was literally just starting to feel like I was figuring it out at the end of last year.  My growth as a leader, making objective decisions, etc.  Then a few things happened last week at work that felt like I was completely set back.  Without going into a bunch of detail, I will say that being in a higher up position can come with a lot of pressure, and sometimes we have to make decisions that are very, very difficult.  I feel like I have a better handle on stress these days, but I'm back to looking to fill a position again, and I will need to take responsibility for many of the job duties in the meantime.  It's feels like a setback.  I did the right thing for the bank and all, it was just hard.

The key right now is to remember how far I've come, and not to slip back into old ways.  I can't do it all.  I can't solve every problem.  

• Like 1

Laurie, being in a position of trust can be really tough. You have to weigh everything & hope you’ve made the correct decision based on all of the factors. Hard decisions are hard!  Hugs to you. Melody

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it sure was a great run, Melody.  I'm rather emotional....SU basketball has been a big part of my life since I was a kid, when my mom and I would listen to the games on the radio together.  I could hear better back then, and she just loved watching them play.  I remember when they won the tournament in 2003.  My mom had passed away in December of 2000, and I just cried.  I cried because I was so happy to see them win, I cried because my mom was not there to see it.

They are in good hands with Coach Autry, who played for Syracuse.  It will be so strange not seeing Coach Boeheim on the sidelines though.

• Like 1

Well…after all this talk of just doing and not worrying about results…I was halted in my doing with another bout of Covid. Omicron is a kinder, gentler beast compared to Delta and so it was just like having a bad sinus head cold. My first symptom was hoarse voice and sore throat. I thought it might be allergies but on day 2 I started running a fever so I took a Covid test. Negative. Alright. Fever broke after the next night so I expected to get better quickly and when I still was feeling so poorly on day 5, I took another Covid test and bingo! Sigh.

DH never tested positive. Not sure where I picked it up but I’m guessing the Y. I recall walking into the bathroom and one of the personal trainers was in there coughing up a lung…I remember thinking that didn’t sound good…

Today was my second negative test after 48 hours so I’m all better now. Lol. I feel okay…but I do feel like my stamina has been affected. Zumba is tomorrow though so I’m going. I’m sure it will be rough but I know how to pace myself and deal and I gotta get back to it.

I’ve started sewing. I’m making a skirt. It’s been challenging because while my construction skills are good…fit issues and knowing which size to make are a major learning hurdle. I made a size way too big…did some unsewing…and now it’s just slightly tight…sigh. Hoping it’ll fit better in a month or so…so definitely going to Zumba tomorrow!

• Like 1

Ah Anita, just read your post. Covid again!  That stinks. Our oldest daughter had it last week (first time, guy at work came in sick). She’s a Type 1 diabetic so they immediately put her on Paxlivid. Instant no symptoms 

I’m over it now and on a real, it wasn’t bad. It was day 5 of symptoms before I had a positive test. At that point Paxlovid isn’t an option though I might have been convinced to have it given my previous Covid experience. I’m happy that I was able to manage symptoms with simple OTC medicine though. It actually makes me feel a bit better about my state of health. I’m just hoping my hair doesn’t start falling out again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I’m over it now and on a real, it wasn’t bad. It was day 5 of symptoms before I had a positive test. At that point Paxlovid isn’t an option though I might have been convinced to have it given my previous Covid experience. I’m happy that I was able to manage symptoms with simple OTC medicine though. It actually makes me feel a bit better about my state of health. I’m just hoping my hair doesn’t start falling out again.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.  I'm there with you about the hair - mine is finally starting to grow back!  My "hairlets" are about 1.5" long now.  Even my stylist says it's coming back well.  And, I had my first dose of Covid back in Jan/Feb 2020!!!   I do have to go get my 4th booster, though.  Do NOT want another visit from the 'vid...

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, laurspag said:

Yes, it sure was a great run, Melody.  I'm rather emotional....SU basketball has been a big part of my life since I was a kid, when my mom and I would listen to the games on the radio together.  I could hear better back then, and she just loved watching them play.  I remember when they won the tournament in 2003.  My mom had passed away in December of 2000, and I just cried.  I cried because I was so happy to see them win, I cried because my mom was not there to see it.

They are in good hands with Coach Autry, who played for Syracuse.  It will be so strange not seeing Coach Boeheim on the sidelines though.

It will be like good ole' UCLA when Coach Wooden retired.  He had been there for decades.  Games just weren't the same.  

SU won me some money back some years ago.  They were playing someone in the NCAA finals and the spread was huge.  I bet the spread because I knew there was no way the loss would be that big.  The other team lost but beat the spread.  I got $20 for my $20 - yes, I'm a HUGE bettor 😹

• Like 1