All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Good morning! It better snow wise but still bitterly cold. My husband has to work today and when he is done, I'll venture out to make a much needed trip to the store. If they clear the roads well before then, I'll go by myself. It's still really windy, but my heat is working.

2395d267eeb887217e4f5cd121b7e86c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Laurie, even for upstate NY that’s bitter cold! Shop your pantry! We’re pushing warmer air towards you. Should be mid 50s today (11 last night) they’re now talking drought cause we haven’t had hardly any snow. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All is Good!

Syracuse, N.Y. -- The snow started in Central New York just before 6 a.m. Thursday, and finally took a break just before midnight Saturday. For 66 straight hours, the*National Weather Service's hourly logs showed snow at Hancock International Airp...

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2018/01/syracuses_snow_streak_finally_ends_66_hours_and_19_inches_later.html

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You know what I learned this week? That even though I live in an area that gets snowstorms all the time, and our life just goes on, roads aren't as clean as they used to be. I'm not implying that it has anything to do with our municipalities, although I do think there have been some cut backs. I think the type of storms we get are different too.

Anyway, even though we were not out of food or starving or anything like that, I need to do a better job with my pantry. Since we had a nice sunny day today, I went and spent and arm and a leg at the grocery store, lol.

I totally have cabin fever now. I have a busy week coming up, with onsite training for our new software at work for two and a half days, and my husband's birthday also. We did get the half bath remodel done, so at least we don't need to deal with that now. (by complete, I mean that the contractor is done) As soon as I get the curtain done and hung up, I will take a picture. It's nothing spectacular, but when I show you a before picture, you will understand why it's such a big deal. It is the only room that hadn't been touched in at least 30 years.

Sally, you are up next! I can't wait to hear about Cuba.

Margaret, how did you fare with the storm? It looked rough in the NYC area on the news. Anita, were you affected? I believe just about everyone was except Melody, right? The funny thing is that we are getting warmer weather this week, and it will be raining and about 48 degrees on Thursday. If at all possible, I am hoping we can get some of the snow off the roof. I honestly don't see it happening though. I think we may try to get some snow off the back, where there is this valley in the roof. That is an area where we sometimes get an ice dam, and I don't want the roof leaking.

Laurie, do you have a roof rake? We always had one when we lived in the northeast. We were able to rake the heavy snow off & avoid the ice dams. Happy bday to your husband! Mine is the 22nd.

We’re actually going to be in the 70s this week...yes, I’m still in Colorado!

I’ve always maintained a pretty intense pantry. I can live out of it for about 4 months. Our son, before he remarried used to come “shop Ma’s back room” before payday [emoji849]. I actually turned a small bedroom into a wintering plant/pantry room about 10 years ago.

Sally, have a great time on your cruise, can’t wait to hear all about it. Melody

We were not affected with snow but it was cold here .I had to wear my warm weather gear .I am going to wait until the week before we go to Cuba to plan what I will take . We are overnight in Cuba and we do not leave Key West until 7 so I know I am not taking anything really dressy . If we were not going on this cruise I would definitely go on the Celebrity cruise that spends three days in New Orleans . That would be so much fun. I have been looking for another trip for this year but nothing has caught my interest .By the way my birthday is also in Jan..

Happy Birthday Sally :D

Our cold spell is finally breaking today. Last Thursday was just awful, and the whole city practically closed down, not just because of the snow but also the severe cold and gale force winds driving the wind chill to -20. People here just don't have the clothing for it (we have some, but it's in a storage box up at the lake, oops). Even the heating system in our building wasn't sufficient for the force of the wind, which was blowing through the window frames. Our bedroom has been hovering at 59 degrees and we are glad to have a space heater. We heat the room with it before we retire but turn it off while sleeping. There have been some horrific house/apartment fires up here over the holidays, so sad.

DH came back from FL with a bad cold (from the young boy messily coughing next to him during the entire flight home, I'm sure), so it was a good time for him to be staying home. I went early to stock up on food on Wednesday, and we are just now starting to run low. Fresh fruit and veggies are the first things to get used up but are hard to buy in this weather because everything has frostbite by the time it gets from a warehouse to a truck to a store. We're eating lots of apples and oranges until I can shop again, probably tomorrow.

My goddaughter is visiting for a couple days so we are heading to the planetarium today (a nice warm indoor activity). Tomorrow I go back to work. I feel like I need more time off. I have kept myself way too busy, and I realize it has been my coping mechanism to get through the holidays and I have to stop. I'm wearing my husband out, and some quiet time sounds really good.

2018 is stretching out before me and we haven't made any vacation plans yet. To cheer ourselves up, we always talk about our next vacation on the plane home, so DH turned to me at one point and said, "So, let's talk about Africa." So I guess that's up next! The first question to answer is WHEN.

Africa , How exciting ! I spent this afternoon cleaning my closet . I seriously have to stop shopping for awhile .It is terrible how much excess I have . I have a huge pile for good will and a huge pile for selling on ebay .I also have items for the women's resource center . With all the money I would save from not shopping I could go on an around the world cruise..

Happy Birthday Sally! Both DH and DS are January babies too.

We have had extreme cold...extreme for our area at least. High temps in the 20s, wind chill in the 10s. Our bedroom is two exterior walls of the big factory windows...and the way the layout is...it's very difficult to keep the temperature decent...so I feel for you Margaret! Our room is the same...somewhere around 58 to 63...if it's sunny, it gets a bit more tolerable.

We can see the effect of the recent weather on all the cars around. So many are just covered in salt...so horrible. I think we were very close to precipitation but we didn't get anything here.

I don't have much of a pantry in the apartment, so I've altered my grocery style a bit. I do find that I'm limiting my stock to things that I actually use regularly, so that's a bonus with the more compact lifestyle. Funny when you push on how often you can delay going to the grocery by dealing with whatever you have. Yes on the fresh produce being the first to go but amazing how caramelized onions can start just about anything...and how easy it is to keep other root veg around.

Sally...so interested to hear about your Cuba trip. I feel the same about shopping and feeling like I have excess. Especially in these days where I find that I keep wearing the same things over and over.

Africa! When, indeed.

Our big break in the cold spell should be tomorrow. It's supposed to be over 30 degrees higher tomorrow! My January goal is to deal with the stuff in the storage area here at the complex. I want to reorganize and reduce our stuff and finally separate out what we are keeping and what we aren't.

I don't know about you guys, but I am not a New Year's resolution person. That being said, I have an overwhelming desire to just start sorting, donating and cleaning up. I think winter does that, because we are inside more and just notice things that we usually wouldn't. There is always clutter right after the holidays and we started a project the day after Christmas. We have been trying to catch up and clean up since. The snow may have had us home more than usual, but not in a way for us to accomplish much. We spent a whole lot of time shoveling!

Growing up, I never had the opportunity reunite to travel. My first trip ever was a cruise in 2008, so I was in my 40s. I feel like there are so many places to see and visit. Africa sounds so exotic and almost out of reach. There are a lot of places in the US want to see also.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I have friends doing an African safari (15 Days) then a 30 night cruise in April.

Les & I have done quite a bit of traveling, all 50 states (some I don’t care to visit again), lived in Okinawa Japan for 3 years & traveled all over Asia (except Vietnam...Les won’t go back). We love the relaxation of cruising (unpack once)

I’m not a resolution person either, other than to reiterate every year that I will always try to treat everyone the way I want to be treated. Melody

Margaret , Good for you ! Do Africa now while you still have the stamina . Mine is dwindling every year .I have two friends who travel continuously (world cruises , Japan ,Africa ,Morocco, & anyplace you can think of they have been ) .They are now finally deciding to slow down because in their 70's travel is getting to be a hassle .I am so glad I traveled as much as I did when I was younger . The thought of white water rafting now makes me laugh .

Sally, thank you for the recommendation. I checked out their website and it's very helpful.

My grandma told me the same thing, to travel while we're young. She always wanted to visit Belgium and see where her parents were born, but by the time my grandpa was retired, he was too unhealthy to travel that far. I took her advice to heart, and we have tried to do the long hauls before they get too hard. I am glad we went to Antarctica when we did, because now when I get cold, my hands and feet hurt so much! And it was very, very cold there. OMG. Spectacular, but freezing cold.

I am currently thinking that January 2019 might be perfect for Africa. I can go before the semester begins, and it is a good time in terms of weather. It's not high season, so it shouldn't be too crowded. All the baby animals are being born, and the vegetation after the rains should make for nice photos. I've already narrowed down the parks we might want to see, and we've talked about the level of accommodation we'll be happy with. The range is surprisingly wide.

We've been getting a flood of cruise brochures, and so far nothing has particularly caught my eye. We have Norway on the back burner, and I'm thinking the circumnavigation of Japan looks interesting. After Mexico and Florida I feel a little beached out. I think a land trip will be just right, and then I'll feel the need for more snorkeling again. :cool:

Can I just say I hate my current wardrobe? I'm trying to not buy anything new until I lose weight, and I'm sick of my work clothes. I don't have anything interesting to wear for going out at night, and my boots situation is pathetic. I have my favorites that I wear so much that they're not so favorite anymore. :( I have too much black, the zipper on my coat is dodgy so I'm always getting stuck in it, and staring at my closet makes me cranky. It doesn't help that I have piles of clothes that I really love that don't fit. Do you have those moments? I'm hoping it's a post-holiday slump that will pass.

Melody, I visited a good number of states when I was a child, but some places I'd really like to see again as an adult, like New Orleans. If I get to go with DH to Las Vegas in February, I may bite the bullet and take the helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon, a bucket list item for sure. There are so many beautiful places, and so few vacation days. :)

Margaret, the helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon is exhilarating & terrifying! We did it about 10 years ago with Les’s sister. Love, love the canyon, especially the north rim.

My boot situation sounds like yours. I’ve been wearing my Merrill slides so much that they just look tired [emoji849]

Les & I have been talking about possibly relocating to FL, still very much in the let’s talk about it stage. Whatever we do I think we’ll likely sell this house with the huge yard, the upkeep is intense & we’d like to be in some place where we can lock the door & leave. Maybe two places, one here & one in Ft Myers area. Now, if I’d just won the darn lottery...Melody

Melody ,I am also looking to down size . Our house is huge plus it is on the bay and I am over living on the water . I know where I want to move to but rarely a house comes for sale in that neighborhood that is a one story .I am working toward having the house ready to sell by the end of the year .I would suggest two things that I did when we relocated to Florida . One is read the local paper of where you are considering it will give you some insight into the area .Two is rent first to make sure this is where you want to live .Before I lived in the Sarasota area I lived in Venice ,Fl. That is a perfect place to retire and I am sorry I moved from there .

I actually am happy with my wardrobe but I need to trim the excess and stop buying new for awhile .

Margaret ,Your grandmother was so right .Do all the hard travel now and Save retirement for slower travel .Trans atlantics are perfect for post retirement .

Margaret...when are you possibly going to Las Vegas in February? It was recently decided...after I had a mini emotional melt down at Christmas that I was getting to go visit Mom and Dad in February. I haven't seen them since last Christmas and I said emphatically that the prospect of there being 18 months between seeing them was just too long. So now I have a trip planned for next month to see them.

I swear, if I were in AZ when you were in LV, Mom and I will drive up to LV to see you. I'm going Feb 13-20. We don't need to hone in on your lovely trip more than a nice get together, but still...that would an opportunity not to be missed. I suppose Mom and Dad would think about going to LV even if I weren't there...must talk about this more...

Melody...you are so close to family...I would think you would definitely keep some sort of residence in CO. There's tremendous value in staying where you have an established social network, moving away from that to completely start over 100%...IDK...I get the downsize and I get the attraction of FL...but there's a reason why so many people are called "snow birds". There's the contingent that flies south to FL and those that fly south to AZ. I'm in full support of that dual house situation; I think you might be sorry to leave CO 100% from what my limited understanding of your life there is.

My wardrobe feelings are mixed. Most of what I'm wearing these days are relatively new purchases mixed in with what works well enough to get by until I too would need a smaller size. I just feel I have too much in general, but the whole multiple size situation is a deterrent to the downsizing. And having the seasons...this really ups the feeling of having too much because there are definitely seasonal items in my wardrobe and I feel like I can't truly address the excess until a full year goes by...and even then, I would have to be a stable size for a full year...and IDK when that will realistically happen. In the meantime, I deal with this odd mix of clothing for seasons and sizes. And there really isn't the room to just pack away what doesn't work right now...either season or size...because there isn't excess room. I'm trying to sort through my storage to be able to separate it out so that I know where the current season/size situation is and dedicate drawers/closet space to what works. But I find myself frustrated by the all that extra that isn't being used...even as I try to go through all our stuff to sort the keepers from the excess, I encounter the ultimate example of excess daily when dressing, much to my frustration...

I will say that I have discovered time and again the value of happy feet. I would deal with that boot situation now...it's just amazing how your shoes can make or break your outfit...and how you feel about your feet, the one thing on your body that you can really see, can affect your whole outlook on your day.

Sally, that’s the plan. Les’s brother winters in Ft Myers, but it’s a 2-story townhome. Perfect location right by Sanibel Causeway & medical centers & Costco [emoji849]. Downside is 2 story. I have friends in Venice, Siesta Key, Bonita Springs, Sarasota, St Pete. Name the beach, I’ve got friends from Mass that’ve relocated. As long as I can be at a beach in 10-15 min I’m close enough (right now it’s a 3-day drive!!!). We’re looking at a rental that just came available for the month of March in Sail Harbour (where Les’s brother is). It’ll have to depend when my surgery for the hiatal hernia gets scheduled. Melody

Anita, we’re looking at a snowbird situation, but it will necessitate our moving from this house (it isn’t a lock & go). Prices here have gone insane (houses are being bid up to as much as $50K above asking price. We have all family here, but almost all of our close friends live in FL now within 20-30 minutes of where we’re considering. It’ll likely be next year before we do anything. Melody

We are surrounded by snowbirds and the happiest are the ones who have friends in the area .Anita is right about family .I really miss my family even though I fly to see them several times a year .

My closet gets out of hand and then I clean it and I am appalled at all I donate .I am an impulse shopper plus I lost 40 lbs. after retirement and I hated to get rid of certain things especially dressier items . I finally cleaned that up and am donating it to dress for success which outfits abused woman .I told my SO when I drive up to goodwill they probably say the JJill lady is here again let's check out the goods .I am also taking a shopping break . There are certain times of year when I tend to buy items just because I am sick of all my clothes so amazingly I am buying nothing new for my cruise I am packing from my closet .I hope I succeed .It may be hard because I got a very large JJill gift card for Christmas.

Sally, I donated all my business suits to dressed for success when I retired. I have taken many of my fluffier formal gowns to a local group that gives prom gowns to those that can’t afford one, they even remake them if they’re “too mature” for the teens.

Snowbirds is what we’ll likely be, but we’re still looking at downsizing here. It’d really force me to clean out my closets! Where we’re looking mostly has Les’s brother in residence from midNovember to midApril. We’ll see Melody

Wow, so much going on here! For whatever reason, I did not receive notifications.

Yesterday was my husband's birthday, and we took him to a better steak house. We knew it would be expensive, but well worth it. We had just the best time. It was such a fun night.

Our weather here today was in the mid 50s. Our snow is all melting, but we are in for a storm starting tomorrow night. rain to sleet to freezing rain to snow. A good dose of snow too, about a foot. I am so over it already. I'm happy though that we should all be home safe and sound tomorrow evening before it hits.

All this wardrobe talking! It's funny, I have mixed feelings. I am very much a "uniform" person. I think Margaret pegged the term a while back, and it stuck. I admit, I think there are specific wardrobes for different things. Add that to 4 seasons, and it means that I have some gaps to fill.

The areas where I seem set: long formal dress, shorts, flood length pants, jeans, work shoes, sweaters

Semi set: casual dresses, work shirts, casual shirts, blazer/jackets

Gaps: work pants, casual non denim pants, short formal, suits,

The work pants thing is getting frustrating. I think I need to make a trip to the mall. We will have to see how this crazy weather plays out!

I don't think we would ever relocate to Florida, mostly because my husband is very insistent that he is never, ever moving out of this house. I have tried to explain to him that it is two stories, with all bedrooms and the full bath upstairs. That means if we have trouble with stairs at an older age, we are in trouble. He gives me a blank stare when I say that. :rolleyes:

We will see how all that plays out though.

Sally, if you shop at JJill with a gift card, don't feel guilty! It's already paid for!

I don't really end up with stuff sitting around unused, in part because my husband and I share a closet with a dresser each. I move a few things to under the bed storage when weather changes, but I have no extra place to put anything. I would say my problem would be not wearing something because it wasn't just right. I usually make myself wear it a few times, just so I don't feel wasteful. It has made me think twice about what I buy. You see me post pictures of a lot of things, but much of it will go back.

Here's a little side thing, but we had training for a few days for some new software at work. Today the trainer said to me "I love that necklace! It looks great on you and I love it with your outfit!" That made me feel really good. I realized too that it is something that I love, and sometimes, it's okay to just follow the heart. It was perfectly work appropriate, but it was also a unique statement necklace. I think when it comes to my next cruise, I'm sticking with what feels good.

So that means my necklaces for my formal dresses are decided. I'm just following my heart. I don't think I could wear them if they didn't fit my "uniform", so they must be okay. I think? The hard part will be that I have three dresses with a corresponding necklace, and I have to decide on two.

I do have a formal event coming up for work. It's black tie optional. I asked someone who has gone before, and she says you see everything - long short, some formal, some not so much. That has me conflicted - should I go with a long dress? If I do, I can just wear whatever I don't choose for the cruise. But if here is very few long dresses there, I am going to feel very out of place. I could wear a short formal dress. I have one dress that will work. It's my Ralph Lauren lace with sequins dress.

This is going to bother me. Since it is a charity event, I may be able to find some photos of past year's online.