Lunch on embarkation day

dvg1027

I have a sinking feeling that since the dining room isn't open on most ships on embarkation, HAL will discontinue room service. The kitchen will only be prepping for dinner and the dining room staff will be assigned other duties.

I would think that would put more pressure on the room service. I've never been much of a room service person but I'm using it more for lunch now that the MDR is closed so much.

Opinions and experiences are all over the place on room service on embarkation day - maybe someone has saved an On Location from that day and it might be referred to in there. But the more I think about it the more I am pretty sure it was not, on my cruises, because all crew are so busy with the usual turnaround day stuff. On the other hand.... if it is a segment of a cruise, those already on the ship would expect to continue to have room service. So there you have it, total confusion as always.:D

I've just looked thru a number of "On Locations" for various days (embarkation, at-sea, port) and find a complete lack of mentions of room service. That's not unexpected as room service is advertised as 24 hour availability. But, if it were not available on any given day, you might expect that to be noted.

Opinions and experiences are all over the place on room service on embarkation day - maybe someone has saved an On Location from that day and it might be referred to in there. But the more I think about it the more I am pretty sure it was not, on my cruises, because all crew are so busy with the usual turnaround day stuff. On the other hand.... if it is a segment of a cruise, those already on the ship would expect to continue to have room service. So there you have it, total confusion as always.:D

I have never seen room service mentioned in the daily "On Location" program.

There is hard board with menus for 24 hour service and Noon to 10 PM in it. It is usually on the desk area.

I have the old lists, but someone here mentioned that some of the items available for room service were being changed.

I have a sinking feeling that since the dining room isn't open on most ships on embarkation, HAL will discontinue room service. The kitchen will only be prepping for dinner and the dining room staff will be assigned other duties.

I would think that would put more pressure on the room service. I've never been much of a room service person but I'm using it more for lunch now that the MDR is closed so much.

I can understand (and I don't like it) about HAL closing the dining room on embarkation day as they are probably using those workers to help move luggage, get supplies on the ship, etc. Just hoping that HAL will have room service on that day. But after having been disappointed a couple of other times, I am not counting on it.

I can understand (and I don't like it) about HAL closing the dining room on embarkation day as they are probably using those workers to help move luggage, get supplies on the ship, etc. Just hoping that HAL will have room service on that day. But after having been disappointed a couple of other times, I am not counting on it.

Getting luggage and the supplies on the ship is not new. How did they handle it before?

Just returned from a B2B on the Zuiderdam and lunch in the MDR was not an option on embarkation day [emoji17].

We just returned also from the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise (early February, maybe just before you) and the MDR was definitely open for us on embarkation day :confused: :confused: :confused:

Embarked the NA a month ago - a steward greeting us on boarding pointed to the elevator and said "Lido" to which I promptly answered with a question asking if the MDR was open - "yes, of course". There were very few in the MDR - I guess everyone goes where they are directed. The meal was one of the better ones of the cruise!

Embarked the NA a month ago - a steward greeting us on boarding pointed to the elevator and said "Lido" to which I promptly answered with a question asking if the MDR was open - "yes, of course". There were very few in the MDR - I guess everyone goes where they are directed. The meal was one of the better ones of the cruise!

Yes, that's likely the case. When people have reported that they have physically checked to see if the MDR is open and it's not, it should be believed. It seems some posters fully believe whatever has happened it the past will surely continue. I'm not referring to you.

Just returned from a B2B on the Zuiderdam and lunch in the MDR was not an option on embarkation day [emoji17].

We just returned also from the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise (early February, maybe just before you) and the MDR was definitely open for us on embarkation day :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just checked our roll call for that cruise (Zuiderdam - January 25) and we were on the same ship. The MDR was DEFINITELY open that day and I still have the receipt for a bottle of Moet & Chandon Brut to prove it ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

I have an inquiring mind - and yes I had read on posts that the MDR was not open for lunch on embarkation day. It appears that it is not the case fleet wide. It never hurts to ask. Also, the cabins were not ready and 6 of us carry on luggage - in the Lido we would have been crowded - in the MDR it was very nice!

I have an inquiring mind - and yes I had read on posts that the MDR was not open for lunch on embarkation day. It appears that it is not the case fleet wide. It never hurts to ask. Also, the cabins were not ready and 6 of us carry on luggage - in the Lido we would have been crowded - in the MDR it was very nice!

I suspect that they are rolling it out to the fleet. It reminds me of people that report that there is no custom made sandwiches on some ships and other say there is. As Hal "converts" to the lido marketplace they seem to take out the custom mades. It doesn't mean all ships have them. I will physically check when I get on the NA in April but I'm not sure what will be provable evidence for some. Maybe a signed letter from Hal :D. Again, I'm not referring to you just to make that crystal clear.

Edited by cruz chic

Getting luggage and the supplies on the ship is not new. How did they handle it before?

Cabins are now ready upon embarkation instead of wandering around with your carry on an waiting for a later time. That is new and in our opinion a good change. Good point, they may have diverted dining staff to the more rapid cabin turn-around effort.

Between the two, I like being able to go to the cabin immediately rather than waiting it out in the MDR having a "Mariners" lunch.

Cabins are now ready upon embarkation instead of wandering around with your carry on an waiting for a later time. That is new and in our opinion a good change. Good point, they may have diverted dining staff to the more rapid cabin turn-around effort.

Between the two, I like being able to go to the cabin immediately rather than waiting it out in the MDR having a "Mariners" lunch.

It's not new. You've been able to get in your cabin (usually) for at least 4 years, maybe longer. I'm going from memory. I don't have the Hal press release to back me up ;).

In all our past cruises the MDR has been open for lunch on embarkation day. It's never been crowded. In fact there are usually only a few tables with guests at them when we have gone. Hopefully it will available be next month.

So reading through the posts it occurred to me that perhaps some pax may have wandered down to the MDR and checked if it was open, but were on the wrong floor? The MDR is on two floors and I know I have done that before realizing that the lower floor may be the one open for lunch. With so little activity going on it would be easy to assume it wasn't open then to go to the Lido or some other place.

Just a thought.

Dan

Cabins are now ready upon embarkation instead of wandering around with your carry on an waiting for a later time. That is new and in our opinion a good change.
That started over 5 years ago, and the MDR lunch closings are recent. But it could be that recent staff reductions are the cause of the change.

It's not new. You've been able to get in your cabin (usually) for at least 4 years, maybe longer. I'm going from memory. I don't have the Hal press release to back me up .
We first saw it on the Ryndam in Dec 2010. Edited by jtl513

Hi,

I heard that they do not offer the Mariner's luncheon any more on embarkation day. Besides the Lido is there anywhere else that is available to us for lunch? Don't know if it makes a difference but we have 2 Neptune suites.

Don't the Neptune Suites offer you free canapes (appetizers)? Although I haven't booked one, I was able to enjoy a party in one the last cruise, and there were several hot and cold tidbits to enjoy. I'd think you could order these in advance through ship's services to have them ready for you in your suite on embarkation day.

Please let me know if you try this out!

we went to the first Mariner lunch in the dining room but on the second leg we just had pizza and drinks aft of the Lido. Same with the Mariner lunch on the last sea day. I didn't think the menu was that special and don't like the fake champagne they serve.

Don't the Neptune Suites offer you free canapes (appetizers)? Although I haven't booked one, I was able to enjoy a party in one the last cruise, and there were several hot and cold tidbits to enjoy. I'd think you could order these in advance through ship's services to have them ready for you in your suite on embarkation day.

Please let me know if you try this out!

Yes, free appetizers are available for the Neptune Suites (we prefer the chicken wings and shrimp skewers) but not the first day.

You can pre-purchase appetizers for the first day if you want to have a party

That is definitely not new - cabins being ready has been the case for a long time. However, there are times when they do a deep clean and delay boarding and some sections may not be ready when you board. That happened to us last year once, and we were steered towards the Lido, but we went to the MDR instead.

Not new -- has been in place since 2011.

Here is the release:

Holland America Line Launches ‘Stateroom Direct Service’ Program on All Sailings

Print this news release Email this news release

New initiative allows guests immediate access to their stateroom upon embarkation

Seattle, Wash., Mar. 2, 2011 – Holland America Line has launched a new Stateroom Direct Service program that simplifies the boarding process by giving guests immediate access to their staterooms upon embarkation.

Under the program, staterooms will be ready as early as 11:30 a.m., and cruisers will no longer have to check their carry-on bags and wait in public areas while their staterooms are being prepared. Additionally, arriving guests will receive their luggage earlier, allowing them more time to unpack and settle into their rooms. Guests also will have the opportunity to enjoy lunch at their leisure in the line’s Lido restaurant, which features a full-service buffet.

“Holland America Line is always seeking new ways to enhance our on-board cruise experience, and through this streamlined boarding process guests can now get into their staterooms earlier and begin enjoying their vacation sooner,” said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. “Stateroom Direct Service creates the best start to a cruise for our guests and sets the precedent for top-notch service to follow.”

The early embarkation initiative is in place on all of the line’s 15 vessels. As part of its on-going fleetwide Signature of Excellence enhancement program, Stateroom Direct Service adds to Holland America Line’s long list of exclusive offerings that allow guests to maximize their premium cruise experience and start enjoying the on-board facilities and amenities as soon as they board the ships.

For more information and cruise fares, contact a professional travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL-HAL (1-877-724-5425) or visit www.hollandamerica.com

We haven't encountered a cruise yet where the MDR isn't open and hope the Westerdam is no exception.

But, we don't always go - there is another solution on embarkation day with out overworking the crew on this busy day.

Just send whomever in your group (or yourself if you are solo) to the lido, to get what you want and bring the lunches back to the cabin. You don't have to eat in the food in the Lido. We've chosen to do that a couple of times, and I return the plates to the Lido ;)

It's a busy day and no need to starve on a cruise ship ;)

We haven't encountered a cruise yet where the MDR isn't open and hope the Westerdam is no exception.

But, we don't always go - there is another solution on embarkation day with out overworking the crew on this busy day.

Just send whomever in your group (or yourself if you are solo) to the lido, to get what you want and bring the lunches back to the cabin. You don't have to eat in the food in the Lido. We've chosen to do that a couple of times, and I return the plates to the Lido

It's a busy day and no need to starve on a cruise ship

Wasn't that cruise almost a year ago ;)? It seems to me this is more of a recent change;). I didn't see anyone say anything about starving ;). I think most people realize they can bring food back to the room ;). It's more about the chaos of the lido:);) for me.