Caramaran on Solstice Alaska tour

Blondie008

CaTamaran not caramaran typo cant change lol!

Hi - we have booked the 8.30am excursion on Tracey Arm Fjord/Juneau Alaska, Five hours - its the morning of our anniversary - (20 years hence the trip - we do something off the bucket list every five years and Alaska takes care of one of them :) )

Have you done this tour?

End of May - cold yes? Wrap up?

Was there food/drinks on board? what was available?

What time were you back on board the ship at?

We have Murano booked for dinner that night - cant really find a tour that works for us that afternoon so planning to DIY explore Juneau -

any "don't miss"?

My husband has vertigo -will not do small planes or helicopters

We did look at the Salmon Bake but its at 5pm earliest and we prefer to do a nice dinner that night.

Anything else we might have missed that would fit between the Catamaran - give us time to get lunch on the ship - and then be back on the ship for 5pm?

Many thanks!

PS - We cannot wait - Seattle x 3 nights - and then Alaska - we can do the Med and Europe any old day - USA to us is so exciting!!!We have Seattle planned - thanks to lots of info on here :)

Edited by Blondie008
typos

Hi - we have booked the 8.30am excursion on Tracey Arm Fjord/Juneau Alaska, Five hours - its the morning of our anniversary - (20 years hence the trip - we do something off the bucket list every five years and Alaska takes care of one of them :) )

Have you done this tour?

We have Murano booked for dinner that night - cant really find a tour that works for us that afternoon so planning to DIY explore Juneau -

any "don't miss"?

We did look at the Salmon Bake but its at 5pm earliest and we prefer to do a nice dinner that night.

Anything else we might have missed that would fit between the Catamaran - give us time to get lunch on the ship - and then be back on the ship for 5pm?

Many thanks!

PS - We cannot wait - Seattle x 3 nights - and then Alaska - we can do the Med and Europe any old day - USA to us is so exciting!!!We have Seattle planned - thanks to lots of info on here :)

Hi

We've been to Alaska a couple of times and in Juneau you must visit The Red Dog Saloon. It's very close to where the ships dock, very touristy but great for a beer. We also went on a whale watching tour in Juneau with Harv and

Marv. Can't recommend them highly enough.

In Seattle we also went on a food tour of Pikes Place Market with Seattle Food Tours which was great fun.

Have you done this tour?

any "don't miss"?

Many thanks!

We did that tour two years ago and it was the best tour of the trip. We did it in August so you will probably not get as close to Sawyer glacier as we did. They get you up closer to the glacier than the ship does, we went to the other portion of the glacier which the ship can't get to at all. Saw lots of wildlife, whales, seals, etc. You will be back in time for lunch.

Make sure you bring layered clothing and rain gear but a great tour.

Edited by dkjretired

We did that excursion that same week in 2015. Was cold aboard the small ship at the glaciers. Warmed up as you sailed toward Juneau. They did serve some complimentary food and drink and had others items for sale. This is an excursion I would recommend. We had warm weather, in the high 60's or 70's almost everyday in Alaska. Two days prior in Seattle we also had great weather.

We did the mendenhall glacier and whale watching excursion thru ship later that day. Had to be back on board at 8 or 8:30 pm so had no time to explore Juneau. Husband refused to go on small Marv and Harv ship. We were at the dock furthest from downtown. Every other week the ship tendered.

We did the tour last year in June. We got off the ship at Tracy Arm around 7:30 am, and watched as the ship turned around and headed to Juneau, we loved it.

Prepare for warm and cold temps with layers, DH was down to short sleeves on our way back to Juneau. They had some complimentary drinks and snacks as well as food items for sale. We were back on the ship having lunch at Bistro on 5 while they were still calling tender numbers.

Be sure to attend Brent Nixon's presentations, he will be the naturalist on board, he is fantastic.

I had seen a suggestion here on the boards to go to Tuscan Grill for dinner as we left Skagway, we went at 6pm and had a window table, it was beautiful.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Living in Scotland - we are thinking to pack, pretty much for "life at home"

We are not going on this cruise to sunbathe for sure -

I am still looking at other things to do although Juneau itself seems like a nice large town to look around-

Many thanks :)

any other suggestions please feel free to add!

We did that tour two years ago and it was the best tour of the trip. We did it in August so you will probably not get as close to Sawyer glacier as we did. They get you up closer to the glacier than the ship does, we went to the other portion of the glacier which the ship can't get to at all. Saw lots of wildlife, whales, seals, etc. You will be back in time for lunch.

Make sure you bring layered clothing and rain gear but a great tour.

Thanks so much - pretty much what I had hoped for - thank you!

We did the tour last year in June. We got off the ship at Tracy Arm around 7:30 am, and watched as the ship turned around and headed to Juneau, we loved it.

Prepare for warm and cold temps with layers, DH was down to short sleeves on our way back to Juneau. They had some complimentary drinks and snacks as well as food items for sale. We were back on the ship having lunch at Bistro on 5 while they were still calling tender numbers.

Be sure to attend Brent Nixon's presentations, he will be the naturalist on board, he is fantastic.

I had seen a suggestion here on the boards to go to Tuscan Grill for dinner as we left Skagway, we went at 6pm and had a window table, it was beautiful.

Oh sounds wonderful!

Layers it is - from rain jacket down to t-shirt :)

re Skagway - we dine very late - will need to find another great viewing point - wonder what the view is like from the Spa - the Spa looks forward though if I remember right on Celebrity?

We are in BLU - but last time we didn't eat at Tuscan Grille - must make an effort to do so this time :) We loved Murano on Equniox so much - also liked the Asian restaurant - so Tuscan Grille we need to check out - ooh 7 days - we have never done such a short cruise - this for us is mega short! But we have some time in Seattle first - just never had to cram everything in in seven days before! Cant wait!

We did that excursion that same week in 2015. Was cold aboard the small ship at the glaciers. Warmed up as you sailed toward Juneau. They did serve some complimentary food and drink and had others items for sale. This is an excursion I would recommend. We had warm weather, in the high 60's or 70's almost everyday in Alaska. Two days prior in Seattle we also had great weather.

We did the mendenhall glacier and whale watching excursion thru ship later that day. Had to be back on board at 8 or 8:30 pm so had no time to explore Juneau. Husband refused to go on small Marv and Harv ship. We were at the dock furthest from downtown. Every other week the ship tendered.

Do you know the exact name of that excursion?and what time it went at and returned to the ship? I want to be back on board for 5-6pm latest - wedding anniversary planning to make a little special effort in the salon that night :)

Also was the tour by coach/walk/etc - how did you get there?

Info appreciated thanks!

Hi

We've been to Alaska a couple of times and in Juneau you must visit The Red Dog Saloon. It's very close to where the ships dock, very touristy but great for a beer. We also went on a whale watching tour in Juneau with Harv and

Marv. Can't recommend them highly enough.

In Seattle we also went on a food tour of Pikes Place Market with Seattle Food Tours which was great fun.

Thanks - will check those out

Have a hotel booked nearby to Pikes Place - its prob first on our tour list on day 2 (night one will be trying to adjust to the 8 hour time difference). Hoping to follow that with lunch on the space needle if my husband can get over it (I am not booking as just not sure he will make it up there he hates heights!).

We did this excursion in September. We really hesitated due to the cost, but it was worth every penny. It's hard to describe to someone who hasn't been there, but the experience of being that close to the glacier is very special. And I am not one of those nature people. Loved watching the Solstice turn around and sail away. Additional perks included trivia on the way back to Juneau (we won:D), seeing lots of wild life and many, many, many whales. I would not bother to do a whale watching expedition after this excursion, just not necessary. Save your money or take advantage of the spa port day specials instead. The weather was cold, of course, and rainy. I don't remember much about the food. They did make some drinks out of glacier water, that was fun. That's my 2 cents.:)

We are booked on this excursion in June so great to read all about it and the tips re layers. I have just returned from a Family visit to Vancouver and didn't have too much trouble with the 8 hour difference in that direction. They dimmed the lights and pulled the window blinds on the afternoon flight giving us an almost compulsory afternoon sleep on the way over. I just stayed up till 11 pm and then woke at 6 am to a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old jumping on my bed. Job done!!! Not half as easy coming home time wise.

We did this excursion in September. We really hesitated due to the cost, but it was worth every penny. It's hard to describe to someone who hasn't been there, but the experience of being that close to the glacier is very special. And I am not one of those nature people. Loved watching the Solstice turn around and sail away. Additional perks included trivia on the way back to Juneau (we won:D), seeing lots of wild life and many, many, many whales. I would not bother to do a whale watching expedition after this excursion, just not necessary. Save your money or take advantage of the spa port day specials instead. The weather was cold, of course, and rainy. I don't remember much about the food. They did make some drinks out of glacier water, that was fun. That's my 2 cents.:)

Good point about the whales, I would say the same thing about going to Mendenhall Glacier. Unless you're going on a ride onto the glacier, I wouldn't do it The Mendenhall trip takes you to a viewing area where there is a gift shop, etc. Really anticlimatic after doing the Catamaran trip.

Good point about the whales, I would say the same thing about going to Mendenhall Glacier. Unless you're going on a ride onto the glacier, I wouldn't do it The Mendenhall trip takes you to a viewing area where there is a gift shop, etc. Really anticlimatic after doing the Catamaran trip.

That satisfies my curiosity - I think we will just enjoy this awesome experience - and then take the afternoon exploring Juneau - cant think of a nicer way to be spending our special day :)

We are booked on this excursion in June so great to read all about it and the tips re layers. I have just returned from a Family visit to Vancouver and didn't have too much trouble with the 8 hour difference in that direction. They dimmed the lights and pulled the window blinds on the afternoon flight giving us an almost compulsory afternoon sleep on the way over. I just stayed up till 11 pm and then woke at 6 am to a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old jumping on my bed. Job done!!! Not half as easy coming home time wise.

I usually stay up when I go to the Caymans or the US - you are right - we have an early start that morning - 2 hour drive to Glasgow - then flight to London - followed the Seattle flight - so I will be well ready for a nice afternoon snooze -

Hope you have a great trip! When do you go? On Solstice?

Cruised to Alaska in May of 2014 on the Solstice and loved it. While in Juneau we booked a tour with "Harv & Marv" and could not have been happier with the experience. We were two of the four people who booked with them and were able to move around the boat while other tours we witnessed were packed After seeing whales & sea lions by sea, they took us by van to Mendenhal glacier. Can't speak highly enough of this outfit.

Cruised to Alaska in May of 2014 on the Solstice and loved it. While in Juneau we booked a tour with "Harv & Marv" and could not have been happier with the experience. We were two of the four people who booked with them and were able to move around the boat while other tours we witnessed were packed After seeing whales & sea lions by sea, they took us by van to Mendenhal glacier. Can't speak highly enough of this outfit.

The tour that the OP is writing about can't be booked privately. It involves going directly off the ship to the Catamaran and then doing the tour. The Catmaran's come from Juneau and travel quite a distance to meet the ship.

Do you know the exact name of that excursion?and what time it went at and returned to the ship? I want to be back on board for 5-6pm latest - wedding anniversary planning to make a little special effort in the salon that night :)

Also was the tour by coach/walk/etc - how did you get there?

Info appreciated thanks!

The Glacier Excursion - If you check the excursions for Tracy Arm/Juneau you will find it. I booked as soon as I could as I really wanted to do this. The cost was around $200 pp.

You will not get back onboard by 6 if you take a second excursion. You might want to walk around Juneau for a few hours. We got back close to 8 I recall.

The second excursion was by bus to the rain forest and walk through it - not that far - to view the glacier from across the lake. Then back on bus to boat to whale watch. These were both Celebrity excursions.

The Glacier Excursion - If you check the excursions for Tracy Arm/Juneau you will find it. I booked as soon as I could as I really wanted to do this. The cost was around $200 pp.

You will not get back onboard by 6 if you take a second excursion. You might want to walk around Juneau for a few hours. We got back close to 8 I recall.

The second excursion was by bus to the rain forest and walk through it - not that far - to view the glacier from across the lake. Then back on bus to boat to whale watch. These were both Celebrity excursions.

Many thanks.

I think we have reached the conclusion that the Catamaran will give us all the tour we need that day - We will have the afternoon exploring Juneau - and then back on the ship to enjoy our evening. You are right - 6pm is too late for me to get back on board - thanks for the info!

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the catamaran tour takes you directly to the dock in Juneau after the excursion or back to the ship if it's anchored.

I think I read somewhere its back to the ship - I know - tender in Juneau huh - would be handy if it docked -

Anyone know the answer to this for sure?

I think I read somewhere its back to the ship - I know - tender in Juneau huh - would be handy if it docked -

Anyone know the answer to this for sure?

We went in 2014 and docked. If they are still doing it they dock every other week and if I remember correctly we had exited the Catamaran on the ship not the dock. Think it had something to do with counting the people on board.

I was rereading an earlier post and should have mentioned that we went at the end of August so your ability to go to some areas may be limited since early in the season the ice hasn't melted as much.

Edited by dkjretired

We went in 2014 and docked. If they are still doing it they dock every other week and if I remember correctly we had exited the Catamaran on the ship not the dock. Think it had something to do with counting the people on board.

I was rereading an earlier post and should have mentioned that we went at the end of August so your ability to go to some areas may be limited since early in the season the ice hasn't melted as much.

Well - I cant really change when we go lol - still have a heavy working lifestyle - we only take time out for our anniversary once every five years - (it falls during our busy season) - always celebrate big style every fifth - (the business just has to wait this year!) - But sadly - for us - we wont ever see an August vacation until we retire - hey ho - it wll be what it is -

I have seen lots of videos and pics from May/June - still filled with exciting stuff :) - and this excursion actually is on the morning of our 20th anniversary - nice way to celebrate for sure!

I didnt know the ship docked as well as tendered - must just have been the reviews I read -

It will be what it is - we are just mega excited to be spending three days in USA mainland and then Alaska - have LOTS booked - and we are not planners! But this one we have booked loads of adventures!

Catamaran I think will be beautiful -

There is a lot of the scenery looks very much like our home -

Pine forests etc -and the waterfalls - we have lots here -

and the rain of course - we are well used to that! ;)

Thanks for your input!!! I will come back and tell you how I got on!