Charge for Blue Kay???

waterbugohio

We were at blue key last Thursday and it was AMAZING! Don't sweat the ride there. Just get on the tram at the port and get off at the very first stop. If you're watching you will see the Blue Key sign just before you stop. Walk back to the entrance and go onto the beach. Find a couple of chairs that suit you and an employee will find you with a wrist band. $5 each gets you access and a drink. More than fair I thought. As for the food, we only ate a couple of shrimp cocktails and they were pretty good. We don't drink alcohol so I can't comment about those drinks. The beach and water are magnificent. Mind you we are both real beach bums at heart and would rather spend a day at a beach than just about anywhere else. This was a very nice, clean, uncluttered beach. We both took two ship towels with us for use on the wooden chairs. They really weren't so bad. When you're done just walk back out the way you came in and turn left to the spot you were dropped off. There were at least 10 cabs waiting. Another $5 got us back including tip. Just a fantastic beach day. And I would go there even if I only had a couple of hours. It's very easy to get to and really is worth the effort.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

Sorry, just got back from a cruise and got this message. :D

You didn't mention how long you will be in port, but either way, Blue Kay is only about a 7 minute ride from the port, so even if you only went for a few hours, I would still say it's worth it. I mean personally I would do it if it was me. :) Blue Kay definitely wasn't crowded when we were there and from others posting, they haven't reported a crowd either. I think since it's on the very end of the beach, most don't wander off into that area. Plus the beach itself is huge (unlike the other little sections along the malecon), so plenty of room to spread out. :)

We are in port until 7:00 PM so plenty of time. Thank you! We are adding this as our place to go to!

We were just at Blue Kay last Wednesday. Just wanted to say, please make sure you know what the cost is before ordering. They really tried to rip us off. We paid $5 each for a chair and drink and then had lunch there. They charged my husband $31 US for his lunch and an order of guacamole. When we questioned the bill, they adjusted it, but it really left a bad taste! Also, those wooden chairs are not too comfortable. Just make sure you know the cost of things before you order. Also, I had emailed prior and asked if they take credit cards. They emailed back and said yes, they do. But the day we were there, they couldn't process a CC payment. I think they were trying to do it with a phone. We did bring cash, but prefer to use a CC in Mexico and have it charged in pesos as we usually get a better exchange rate that way.

We were just there last week. We took the tram ($3 pp) as far as it could take us (Krazy Lobster), and walked back toward the lighthouse and ended up at Blue Kay.

We walked up to the waitress and said we'd like to have lunch. She told us to choose any palapa we wanted and that she'd be by to take our order (about 10 minutes later).

There were 4 of us (2 adults, a 2 year old and a senior) and we didn't get charged any cover (I expected to pay $5 pp). We just ordered a small lunch - guacamole w/ chips, a club sandwich with fries, and 2 cokes - which cost us $34 (and left a $4 tip). $34 might seem a lot for what we ordered but considering we didn't pay a cover charge, it was still a cheaper option for us than going to an all inclusive since none of us drink alcohol and the toddler eats very little.

We asked our waitress to order us a taxi back to the port - quite easy.

If you want to skip the boardwalk (it can be hot), just cab it straight to Blue Kay ($2 pp) and it will take you to the door, no long walk from the tram required and it's cheaper per person.

No matter what you decide, have fun! :)

• 2 months later...
If you tell your taxi driver that you are wanting to go to Blue Kay, will they know where to take you or should you use another source of direction to be taken to the right place?

They should definitely know. They have been there for awhile and was formally known as Blue Bay. It's the very first place you come to on the Malecon right past the lighthouse. Super easy to find. So if you have turned down the main street that runs along the malecon, it's the first place you come to and you can see the signs out by the street.

PB130033%20copy-L.jpg

blue%20bay-L.jpg

directions-L.jpg

Those prices sound crazy to me for food. No way would I expect to pay that much for chips and quac, 2 sodas and a sandwich. We definitely didn't pay that much back in Dec when we were there! Must have been an increase in food prices since then. I don't recall anything we ate that day to be exceptionally good, just average at best. Can't blame anyone for eating elsewhere along the boardwalk at those prices. It's Mexico after all

Those prices sound crazy to me for food. No way would I expect to pay that much for chips and quac, 2 sodas and a sandwich. We definitely didn't pay that much back in Dec when we were there! Must have been an increase in food prices since then. I don't recall anything we ate that day to be exceptionally good, just average at best. Can't blame anyone for eating elsewhere along the boardwalk at those prices. It's Mexico after all

Yes, if you see my post above, they tried to charge us some crazy prices too. Partly our fault for just taking the waiters suggestion for my husband's lunch without asking the cost. They did lower the bill when we complained. Also, we paid the $5 per chair and since my husband doesn't drink, I got a second margarita and they tried to charge us for that too! I told them the $5 should cover that drink that my husband then gave to me. I feel like they're really trying to take advantage of the tourists. Between that and those wooden chairs, we will not be going back. Plenty of other places to go.

Edited by Peachy59

We were just there last week. We took the tram ($3 pp) as far as it could take us (Krazy Lobster), and walked back toward the lighthouse and ended up at Blue Kay.

We walked up to the waitress and said we'd like to have lunch. She told us to choose any palapa we wanted and that she'd be by to take our order (about 10 minutes later).

There were 4 of us (2 adults, a 2 year old and a senior) and we didn't get charged any cover (I expected to pay $5 pp). We just ordered a small lunch - guacamole w/ chips, a club sandwich with fries, and 2 cokes - which cost us $34 (and left a $4 tip). $34 might seem a lot for what we ordered but considering we didn't pay a cover charge, it was still a cheaper option for us than going to an all inclusive since none of us drink alcohol and the toddler eats very little.

We asked our waitress to order us a taxi back to the port - quite easy.

If you want to skip the boardwalk (it can be hot), just cab it straight to Blue Kay ($2 pp) and it will take you to the door, no long walk from the tram required and it's cheaper per person.

No matter what you decide, have fun.

You do not say if you looked at and chose from a menu, and were expecting those prices, even though you considered them high.

I suspect that the charge may well have included a 3 x $5 cover charge but you don't say if you were expecting to pay that much,so it is difficult to know.

Yes, if you see my post above, they tried to charge us some crazy prices too. Partly our fault for just taking the waiters suggestion for my husband's lunch without asking the cost. They did lower the bill when we complained. Also, we paid the $5 per chair and since my husband doesn't drink, I got a second margarita and they tried to charge us for that too! I told them the $5 should cover that drink that my husband then gave to me. I feel like they're really trying to take advantage of the tourists. Between that and those wooden chairs, we will not be going back. Plenty of other places to go.

I am not sure why you would choose a lunch, without looking at a menu and having some idea of what you were going to get, and how much you were going to pay, but perhaps that is just me.

Are there set drinks which are included with the chair fee? Did your husband not have anything to drink the whole time he was there - soft drink, water? I am just asking so that I am prepared. We have not been to Blue Kay yet but are considering it for next time we are in Costa Maya. I understand the rationale for charging a chair fee to stop people just using facilities although it is not a common practice in many Mexican beach bars. However it's usage is widespread throughout many of the Caribbean islands and the fee is often much higher than that.

I would be interested to know if new menus have been produced because these charges seem much higher than the ones posted by Mitsugirly?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44910650&postcount=485

Edited by c-leg5

I'm currently researching where we want to spend our time and have lunch when we visit Costa Maya in Sept. I've been reading a number of reviews where the food prices seem more reasonable in my opinion, especially when you factor in the additional $5 p/p charge at Blue Kay. Plenty of other spots to go for free, albeit more crowded and perhaps not as relaxing a day. We enjoyed our time at Blue Kay last Dec, mostly for the quiet atmosphere for the 3 year old, but also to get away from the sea grass issue that was happening at the time. Thinking we'll just try out something different this time since this is our 3rd visit, and give another establishment our money, perhaps with a better value. I'd always look at a menu or at least ask what the price of things are, but that's just me, especially when its pesos and they can try to make the exchange rate whatever they think someone would pay.

I'm currently researching where we want to spend our time and have lunch when we visit Costa Maya in Sept. I've been reading a number of reviews where the food prices seem more reasonable in my opinion, especially when you factor in the additional $5 p/p charge at Blue Kay. Plenty of other spots to go for free, albeit more crowded and perhaps not as relaxing a day. We enjoyed our time at Blue Kay last Dec, mostly for the quiet atmosphere for the 3 year old, but also to get away from the sea grass issue that was happening at the time. Thinking we'll just try out something different this time since this is our 3rd visit, and give another establishment our money, perhaps with a better value. I'd always look at a menu or at least ask what the price of things are, but that's just me, especially when its pesos and they can try to make the exchange rate whatever they think someone would pay.

Where did you go the first time - we also travel with a little one sometimes so always checking out suggestions?

I agree with checking menu and exchange rate before paying. The above menu posted by Mitsugirly seems quite reasonable in pesos, (not sure what exchange rate they are using). However it does seem rather limited and I don't see club sandwich listed which above poster mentioned, so I am wondering if they have a new menu?

It would be interesting to get an updated photo or info.

Edited by c-leg5

First time it was just my daughter and I and we went to Pez Quadro. We were looking to both have massages, so wanted some more privacy and quiet. We both enjoyed our day there and had a few drinks and just a small lunch. That was back in 2010. Currently thinking of the Krazy Lobster for free use of kayaks, chairs, etc. Majority of the reviews seem pretty good. due in part to the owner and food. I do think you'd find Blue Kay good with a small child, my husband had a great time in the water with the granddaughter. He was icky the turtle for the day and swam around with her on his back. A nice sheltered lagoon area where you feel safe with small kids. We brought some beach toys from home for her to play with also

I am not sure why you would choose a lunch, without looking at a menu and having some idea of what you were going to get, and how much you were going to pay, but perhaps that is just me.

Are there set drinks which are included with the chair fee? Did your husband not have anything to drink the whole time he was there - soft drink, water? I am just asking so that I am prepared. We have not been to Blue Kay yet but are considering it for next time we are in Costa Maya. I understand the rationale for charging a chair fee to stop people just using facilities although it is not a common practice in many Mexican beach bars. However it's usage is widespread throughout many of the Caribbean islands and the fee is often much higher than that.

I would be interested to know if new menus have been produced because these charges seem much higher than the ones posted by Mitsugirly?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44910650&postcount=485

There are not set drinks included with the chair fee. I have been to other places where you pay for a chair and get a free drink. I always take the free drinks and my husband usually buys a water or soda. It has never been a problem anywhere else. We sat in those chairs on the beach and swam and just hung out on the beach for quite a while before we moved to a table to eat. The margaritas were brought out to us one at a time, it really shouldn't matter who drank them. Those were the only 2 drinks we had out by the water.

When we were ready to eat, we moved up to a table a little ways off the water. We did look at a menu, but the waiter suggested what was supposed to be a lunch special to my husband. It was not on the menu. It was some kind of fried fish with rice and beans. Normally we would ask the price, and I'm not sure why we didn't that day. That is totally our fault. But, we never dreamed they would charge $25 for that so called lunch special. I mean, we are at a little fishing village in Mexico, not the Ritz. It's not like it was lobster or something. At that time, my husband ordered a bottled water and that is what they wanted to give as his free drink. We just thought it was ridiculous and petty, since we had already had what we thought were the 2 drinks included with the chair rental. Bottom line, we felt gouged because we were tourists.

Between that and the wooden chairs with no padding, we will be going somewhere else on our next stop there as we'll be going back to Mahahual next year.

First time it was just my daughter and I and we went to Pez Quadro. We were looking to both have massages, so wanted some more privacy and quiet. We both enjoyed our day there and had a few drinks and just a small lunch. That was back in 2010. Currently thinking of the Krazy Lobster for free use of kayaks, chairs, etc. Majority of the reviews seem pretty good. due in part to the owner and food. I do think you'd find Blue Kay good with a small child, my husband had a great time in the water with the granddaughter. He was icky the turtle for the day and swam around with her on his back. A nice sheltered lagoon area where you feel safe with small kids. We brought some beach toys from home for her to play with also

We don't get to Costa Maya as much as we would like as it is not been on the regular route for our local "go-to" ship. However next year it is on the schedule more often. We visited a couple of times early on before the hurricane and Pez Quadro was our stop on our first trip into mahahual after the rebuild of the town. We were sorry that we never saw the original village.

Last time we visited Maya Chan with the little one. It was a good day and they provided toys but the weather was awful. I would return if it was just my husband and I but I think with a young child I would like to try Blue Kay.