Really Annoyed with NCL

MsTabbyKats

I had reservations for the Breakaway, this Sunday, 2/28. Well, I got the flu.

My credit card has cancel for any reason...so I had to officially cancel. I also had to pay $100 penalty.

When I booked, I used a FCC of $250. I assumed that it would be available to book in the future. Nope....it's gone.

Gee, thanks, how very considerate of you to suggest infecting anyone that haven't done anything to you personally.

I think she was being sarcastic. She cancelled, didn't she? Sounds like she's just frustrated.

Gee, thanks, how very considerate of you to suggest infecting anyone that haven't done anything to you personally.

Please take into consideration that Misstabbycats is usually very considerate of others, likely not feeling back to normal and is likely quite miserable about missing a long awaited cruise.

Be nice.

Sorry to hear of your illness and it stinks to miss out on a trip.

But really -- What did you expect?

Do you think that NCL is going to be able to book your cabin on 4 days notice?

Trip Insurance is available and an option for everyone.

I'm curious... what happens if you complete the health questionnaire honestly and state that you're ill? Are you denied boarding, or quarantined to your stateroom upon boarding? Or maybe it's at the discretion of the cruise line?

MsTabby - Sorry to hear of your illness. Being four days away from sailing, are you sure there's no chance of recovery?

Sorry you had to miss your cruise. You may want to purchase separate trip insurance in the future. Cancel for any reason does not usually cover the full cost of the cruise but a cancellation policy that covers for illness usually does (depending on pre-existing conditions coverage of course).

Edited by Mistizoom

It sucks that you're sick, and weren't aware of the policy. Can't you still go? You might not be contagious any more by then, and would probably be feeling better pretty quickly, if so many days have already passed. I guess it's too late. That just sucks though.

My credit card has cancel for any reason...so I had to officially cancel. I also had to pay $100 penalty.

When I booked, I used a FCC of $250. I assumed that it would be available to book in the future. Nope....it's gone.

Edited by Cruise#45

I booked the cruise on 2/14. My credit card has "cancel for any reason" so I'll probably get reimbursed for the full cost (including Fcc because that was on the credit card too).

And I was being totally sarcastic about "I should have gone..."

I'm just annoyed that since I really didn't use the FCC it wasn't put back in my account.

I'm 66 and never had the flu before. But, since I just finished radiation treatment for breast cancer, the last thing I would want to do is feel crappy with a relapse, even if I had felt better by Sunday morning.

Isn't the insurance refunding the value of FCC as part of the lost cruise fare? I mean the $250 value of the certificate, as it appears on your cruise invoice, not the $150 or however much you paid for it way back when.

If so, then you are getting the benefit of the FCC.

If the credit card will only reimburse what you actually charged to the card, then I understand your disappointment, although I don't think NCL is at fault here at all. Yes, they are going to pocket your money and that is never nice, but that was your agreement with them (I know you already know this).

If your insurance is only refunding your real charges, then maybe call the CruiseNext people and ask if they will let you buy a new deposit to replace the old one.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Sorry you had to miss your cruise. You may want to purchase separate trip insurance in the future. Cancel for any reason does not usually cover the full cost of the cruise but a cancellation policy that covers for illness usually does (depending on pre-existing conditions coverage of course).

What's the total $ loss amount between what the entire cost and what the credit card reimbursed for? Chances are she lost less than what extra cancellation insurance would have cost.

Personally I think NCL would have looked pretty good on here if they would have returned your FCC. Why not get you rebooked with them instead of on RCCL or Celebrity once you're feeling better. What were they thinking???? They also should have asked for a doctors note and once produced they should reimburse you the $100 penalty fee and write you a small thank you note for not going on the cruise while infectious.

I hope that you feel better soon :)

I booked the cruise on 2/14. My credit card has "cancel for any reason" so I'll probably get reimbursed for the full cost (including Fcc because that was on the credit card too).

And I was being totally sarcastic about "I should have gone..."

I'm just annoyed that since I really didn't use the FCC it wasn't put back in my account.

I'm 66 and never had the flu before. But, since I just finished radiation treatment for breast cancer, the last thing I would want to do is feel crappy with a relapse, even if I had felt better by Sunday morning.

I do hope you feel better soon, the flu is unpleasant and it must be doubly so if you've just finished treatment.

Rest and try forget about whatever price difference you might have lost. It's just money - your health is more important! But I do understand your frustration.

Wishing you a great next cruise wherever and hopefully some time soon.

I really should have titled this "Really Annoyed with Cruise Industry"

(I have nothing to gain or lose. Personally, the money is insignificant even if I didn't have insurance. And DH is 81 and although he had a flu shot he's concerned about getting sick so he really doesn't want to go.)

But, lets look at "the typical passenger.

A 40 year old pays $2500 for a cruise...no insurance. The money is his total travel budget for the year and is a big amount for him. He gets hit by a car. He can't travel so he losses his fare. His loss. Should have had insurance.

Now...the same guy, instead of getting hit by a car has the flu.

He doses up on flu medication, Tylenol, cough syrup etc....and may not feel 100%, but looks ok. He has choices:

1. Go on cruise and spreads his love (because, seriously, unless he vomits in the terminal...there should be no overt signs that he's ill)

2.Cancel...and lose the money

If I were that guy...I'd probably go on the cruise. And then who looses? The cruise line...because thousands of people will be exposed.

However, if they offered a future cruise or at least partial payment for a future cruise....the passenger would be more likely to postpone and go when feeling better....and not spread his germs.

However, if they offered a future cruise or at least partial payment for a future cruise....the passenger would be more likely to postpone and go when feeling better....and not spread his germs.

They probably don't do it, because they know that there are those folks who will work the system and profit from it. Get private or credit card insurance, get a note from your doctor saying you are sick (or type one up on the computer, as it is a wonder what some folks can do), get your money back and a future cruise....wow! a free cruise.

They probably don't do it, because they know that there are those folks who will work the system and profit from it. Get private or credit card insurance, get a note from your doctor saying you are sick (or type one up on the computer, as it is a wonder what some folks can do), get your money back and a future cruise....wow! a free cruise.

They can build massive ships that don't sink in storms, but they can't figure out how to avoid double dipping?

However, you're probably right. And I'm "MsGoodyTwoShoes"....who naively still thinks the rest of the world is honest too.

And thus, MrAverageJoe, instead of losing his $2500 goes on the cruise and makes hundreds of people sick.

I am also sorry you are ill and cannot travel. I am mystified by your logic that cancellation policies should be revised if one is cancelling due to illness under the proposition that offering refunds for persons so cancelling is for the "greater good" of not exposing others to communicable illness.

What a can of worms that would open. Which is exactly why no such "exception" exists anywhere in the travel industry.

I hope you feel better soon.

So, I guess I should have gone on the cruise and infected everyone.

I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Please answer these questions;

1) do you own a car or house that you are making payments on?

2) do you have insurance on them?

3) did you ever have a claim?

4) you still had to make payments on them, even if they may have been unusable correct???

Insurance does not always make you 100% whole...