Really Annoyed with NCL

MsTabbyKats

While I [fortunately] don't know the full/official answer to your question, I will share what happened at embarkation this past Saturday for Norwegian Escape (Terminal B) in Miami.

It was the first time I've ever been issued the medical form prior to going through security, but the gentleman explained that doing it early would make the process faster . . . and he was right.

But, his spiel while handing them out was rather questionable . . .

"Ladies and gentleman, please have this form filled out before you arrive at the desk. The answer to all questions is No. Again, the answer to every question must be No. Anything other than No will open Pandora's Box, and you really don't want to do that."

I don't think that's the best way for them to approach the purpose of the medical form in general, but figured it is what is is, and there's nothing I could personally do to change it.

Quite frankly, I think those forms are merely a CYA for the cruise lines.

A few years ago, I got some food poisoning before a Carnival cruise. Most of the symptoms asked about on the form. Everything was over before we even drove to the port the day before, simply tired from the experience. It wasn't a fun drive but we made it.

I probably should have marked yes to a few of those questions. But I had read here about people being denied boarding out of hand, no further medical check if they answered yes. Since then, I have always instructed my wife when we fill them out, all answers are no. If we show up at the port, then just mark it all no and move on.

As the OP alluded to, it will be the very rare person who shows up at the port and marks one of those questions yes and puts their vacation at risk. You can argue until you are blue in the face that people know better, should be honest, etc., but as long as the average person knows that saying yes is to be denied boarding, losing your cruise and being stuck in a far away city with no hotel and no vacation, the cruise line can expect everyone to answer no each and every time.

Today is only Feb 25, why do you need to cancel? Give yourself lot of rest, plenty of vitamin C + fluid and most people will bounce back from flu in just a few days.

Most people are not dealing with the combination of being in their 60s, never having the flu before, and having recently completed radiation treatment for breast cancer - all of which was succinctly detailed by the OP.

I booked the cruise on 2/14. My credit card has "cancel for any reason" so I'll probably get reimbursed for the full cost (including Fcc because that was on the credit card too).

And I was being totally sarcastic about "I should have gone..."

I'm just annoyed that since I really didn't use the FCC it wasn't put back in my account.

I'm 66 and never had the flu before. But, since I just finished radiation treatment for breast cancer, the last thing I would want to do is feel crappy with a relapse, even if I had felt better by Sunday morning.

Congrats on completing your radiation. It can be bitch huh? Hubby had 16 weeks of it a few years age for 2 type of cancer.

I can imagine how you feel about missing the trip. But don't take it out on NCL> Now. relax, hope you get everything straightened out and good luck with your next cruise.

OP, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this and missing your vacation. I hope you feel better soon and I get where you're coming from on the FCC.

I want to know what credit card you're using with the cancel for any reason perk though! (Can't believe nobody else has asked that question!)

That would be your opinion, shes not very nice to me but that is neither here nor there. The cancellation policy is in place for her and everyone else, she had the option of purchasing insurance but did not and she is at the 100% cancellation period. She should just be happy to get the refund from her credit card.

All in all she only loses $225.00-$250.00 in total, $100 from her credit card plus either $125 to $150 on her FCC.

Much better then losing $2K-3K in total.

I have to agree.

Ok.....

1. What credit card has this perk?

2. Did you get a flu shot and it just didn't work or you just roll the dice? Fwiw I don't usually get them and haven't had flu in 20 years but I've been cruise g in Jan lately so my entire family now gets them so we don't miss the cruise

3. I wouldn't have cancelled until the 27 or 28 th. For me or for dh. All you did by cancelling early is allowing ncl to resell your cabin. They made out very well on you trying to be ms nice guy sorry to say

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok.....

1. What credit card has this perk?

2. Did you get a flu shot and it just didn't work or you just roll the dice? Fwiw I don't usually get them and haven't had flu in 20 years but I've been cruise g in Jan lately so my entire family now gets them so we don't miss the cruise

3. I wouldn't have cancelled until the 27 or 28 th. For me or for dh. All you did by cancelling early is allowing ncl to resell your cabin. They made out very well on you trying to be ms nice guy sorry to say

I'm not the OP, but here in Canada most of our credit cards cover us for travel insurance as long as we put the trip on the card. My Amex and my Visa both have this coverage.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I think the most important thing is that you and DH both feel better.

I just really wanted to hop on and say that I hope that you are well, and to congratulate you on realizing the most important thing is that you are well.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Hope you feel better.

I understand your frustration: you are doing the right thing, for you and for the whole ship full of people you are not sharing your germs with, yet somehow, you end up worse off than if you did the wrong thing.

I will say that the idea of letting people cancel because they come up contagious would work in a world where we were all like Jim Carrey movie where we could only tell the truth. Because those NOT bound by the truth could take advantage of jumping ship (see what I did there?) after final payment if they found a better deal.

Just think like a criminal:

Book early, nice room, low (ish) rates.

After final payment, see what upsell offers are available.

Close to sail date, see what you can now do with that money: can you sail a different week for less? from a different port? does another line have a better deal?

Go to doctor, complain of cold (cough, cough) get slip saying you could be contagious. There is no blood test to prove you have a cold and I don't even know if they blood test everyone for the flu or just diagnose based on symptoms (did I mention I had a fever with my cough cough? Sure it is down now but that is only because I took a bunch of Advil before I came in...I still feel chilled and achy....honest).

Get Doctor's excuse, cancel cruise number one for full refend.

Book cruise number two.

Heck, if you were brazen enough, you could book cruise number two on the exact same ship you were originally on if the new rates were low enough to make the scam worth it. (To quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail "Well, I got better.")

It is a sad but omnipresent truth: the reason there are rules is because there are as many people who are out to take advantage as there are people who would be taken advantage of.

Feel better!

Hope you feel better.

I understand your frustration: you are doing the right thing, for you and for the whole ship full of people you are not sharing your germs with, yet somehow, you end up worse off than if you did the wrong thing.

I will say that the idea of letting people cancel because they come up contagious would work in a world where we were all like Jim Carrey movie where we could only tell the truth. Because those NOT bound by the truth could take advantage of jumping ship (see what I did there?) after final payment if they found a better deal.

Just think like a criminal:

Book early, nice room, low (ish) rates.

After final payment, see what upsell offers are available.

Close to sail date, see what you can now do with that money: can you sail a different week for less? from a different port? does another line have a better deal?

Go to doctor, complain of cold (cough, cough) get slip saying you could be contagious. There is no blood test to prove you have a cold and I don't even know if they blood test everyone for the flu or just diagnose based on symptoms (did I mention I had a fever with my cough cough? Sure it is down now but that is only because I took a bunch of Advil before I came in...I still feel chilled and achy....honest).

Get Doctor's excuse, cancel cruise number one for full refend.

Book cruise number two.

Heck, if you were brazen enough, you could book cruise number two on the exact same ship you were originally on if the new rates were low enough to make the scam worth it. (To quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail "Well, I got better.")

It is a sad but omnipresent truth: the reason there are rules is because there are as many people who are out to take advantage as there are people who would be taken advantage of.

Feel better!

A cough cold or flu might get you a refund if you have cancel for any reason but the policies I've seen basically it has to be something like death of immediate etc...life threatening etc...broken something etc

The sniffles don't do it with most policies

Anyone have the answer?

Can you cancel for medical reasons if you seem to be coming down with cold or flu with a regular policy ?

If your doc says...you have a cold. Does that really qualify?

Flu as well? I mean flu doesn't hit everyone the same way

When I put in the claim it will show the fees being refunded by NCL. So, it won't be the entire 2/14 payment. I had wifi and excursion as promos...so no fees involved.

Believe me...there won't be double dipping.

My one and only issue was:

If you cancel the cruise you are not using the FCC...so it should go back into inventory. That's my logic.

To make it very clear....whatever my loss is...it won't affect my finances and my lifestyle. I really am more concerned with not get pneumonia and being in the middle of the ocean. Oh...and I did buy medical insurance, which included airlift.

I don't understand this, and hope you can clarify.

Why would the insurance company only reimburse an amount on a particular payment date?

I occasionally apply different credits at different times (decided to buy some USD at a good price, made a part-payment on my rez, or sold an Fcc to someone and had them pay me by putting the purchase price against my upcoming rez) So my booking looks like this:

- Total Trip Cost, less:

- deposit

- payment occasion #1

- payment occasion #2

- Feb 14th payment

- Final payment

Why wouldn't the insurance company completely disregard HOW you paid for the cruise? All that should matter is the original Total Trip Cost, and that it WAS paid in full.

Stephen

I still want to know why the op cancelled so many days ahead of time?

By doing so she allowed ncl to keep her money and allowed them to also resell her room so ncl doubled their money

and they will fill it don't worry

The insurance also paid....lol

Lots of $$$$ made and lost here.

She should have waited until Sunday to cancel and if so might have actually made the cruise

I recall back during some hurricane warning that as a knee jerk reaction she cancelled a quickie ctn I believe because the weatherman said it was going to be bad weather.....

It wasn't as bad as predicted of course.....but the weather guy had his 15 minutes anyway. Lol

Feel better!

I would limit only to situations where the person was denied boarding due to answering the health questionnaire.

I suppose someone could show up to NCL, answer yes, get denied and then saunter over to their cruise on CCL. But what if NCL didn't deny them? Oops... Better rush over to CCL and get denied there, but what if they don't deny you either?

If I were that guy...I'd probably go on the cruise. And then who looses? The cruise line...because thousands of people will be exposed.

Sadly, the cruise line loses nothing even in this circumstance. Those people are already on the ship and paid. They might even gain when some of those people go down to medical to get seen. Might possibly lose some onboard revenue I suppose?

As for the future cruise deposit, I get why you lost it. When you cancel that close, you lose the entire cruise fare including the deposit which in your case was the one you bought previously.

I am very sorry to hear you are sick, and I hope you get well very soon.

It is always disappointing to look forward to a trip and then have to cancel it because of illness.

As someone who will be on the 2/28 sailing, I do want to thank you for thinking of others, and not getting on the ship, knowing you are ill. I wish so many others were as conscientious and caring as yourself.

Again, I wish you a speedy recovery and many happy sailings in your future!

Joanne

I am very sorry to hear you are sick, and I hope you get well very soon.

It is always disappointing to look forward to a trip and then have to cancel it because of illness.

As someone who will be on the 2/28 sailing, I do want to thank you for thinking of others, and not getting on the ship, knowing you are ill. I wish so many others were as conscientious and caring as yourself.

Again, I wish you a speedy recovery and many happy sailings in your future!

Joanne

Thanks for your well wishes. I'm feeling "almost normal" now, but probably due to the 100 pills I've taken, so it's a false "wellness". However, DH is lying in bed, moaning and still very contagious.

I spoke to the insurance company and they are supposed to reimburse me for all of my payments towards the cruise, less the taxes that NCL is going to give me back. So, in the end I shouldn't lose the value of the FCC and I won't be double dipping or outsmarting anyone....just getting what's due.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful sunny day, about 60F. Same for Monday. That's great weather for a NYC sail away. Enjoy!

I booked the cruise on 2/14. My credit card has "cancel for any reason" so I'll probably get reimbursed for the full cost (including Fcc because that was on the credit card too).

And I was being totally sarcastic about "I should have gone..."

I'm just annoyed that since I really didn't use the FCC it wasn't put back in my account.

I'm 66 and never had the flu before. But, since I just finished radiation treatment for breast cancer, the last thing I would want to do is feel crappy with a relapse, even if I had felt better by Sunday morning.

Why is the fcc doing on your cc? Confused about that.

I still want to know why the op cancelled so many days ahead of time?

By doing so she allowed ncl to keep her money and allowed them to also resell her room so ncl doubled their money

and they will fill it don't worry

The insurance also paid....lol

Lots of $$$$ made and lost here.

She should have waited until Sunday to cancel and if so might have actually made the cruise

I recall back during some hurricane warning that as a knee jerk reaction she cancelled a quickie ctn I believe because the weatherman said it was going to be bad weather.....

It wasn't as bad as predicted of course.....but the weather guy had his 15 minutes anyway. Lol

Oh my. I have a groupie!

I missed a cruise about 5 years ago because there was a hurricane blocking NY in all directions. The ship (it was to Canada) had to go thru it to go north, south or straight into the ocean. It was a 4 day trip and I decided the morning of that trip to just not go (just no shows). We waited until the last hour to decide, since we live about 10 minutes to the port. Remember RCI Anthem...that one wasn't as predicted either and you see what happened. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Since you want to know why I canceled so many days ahead instead of waiting until Sunday this time......it's not just how I feel. I finished radiation therapy for breast cancer 2 weeks ago and my immune system is compromised. Even if I felt great and was past the point of being contagious (which I'm not) I am at risk for pneumonia and was told by the physician that I should stay home.

And....even more important: When I go on a cruise I like to feel good. They'll always be another one.......