Freedom review.

teegee16

So I'm o n freedom right now, day 5 of 7 day out of galviston. Here's some thoughts I like to get down before I forget. I'll try to update this thread later too.

Embarcation was fine. We took an uber from hobby airport. Cost 52 bucks, but our driver informed us that uber would not be allowed to pick us up for return, as uber isn't allowed in the pier to pick up. Some local thing...

Arrived at about 2 and just went aboard, no waiting.

Our room,

outside midship deck one is a good location, but there's only 1 plug in the room! I brought an extension cord but it's pretty inconvenient to say the least. Our refrigerator doesn't work, and the faucet in the bathroom only does hot water...things are clean and our steward is great.

Events on the ship are fun and there's lots to do. Live music everywhere. Pools are good and haven't had a hard time getting chairs no matter what time we get there.

Food is really good. Love the Mongolian wok and tacos on lido. Skimpy fruit though. Dining room food is good too. No complaints, in fact, as diamond on princess, I gotta say food is better on carnival imo.

Coffee is straight up terrible. I highly recommend you bring instant coffee of your choice. Even at tge so called coffee bar, the 4 dollar coffee is the same crap they serve elsewhere on the ship, except you pay for it. Princess coffee bar is lightyears better. I also think it's sleezy that they charge you for treats there. It's a real disappointment.

Service is great, staff around the ship are cordial and helpful.

I got the internet package that gives me full internet, and for the first few days it worked fab and was a real value compared to princess. I usually pay double the cost on a princess cruise. It's slow these last few days...

That's it for now. I'll come back with final thoughts later...

Thanks for your thoughts thus far! Looking forward to hearing more when you get a chance:

-what did you do in ports?

-did you travel with kids? If so, how was the kids programming? I've been trying to find more info about the "scheduling" for kids...as the only thing Carnival posts in the FunTimes is the "pay" events for kids :(

Hope you are having a great trip. And I'll be sure to bring some Starbucks Via with us. I need GOOD coffee...

I am not a coffee snob but I have never had a good cup of coffee on any cruise line. I bring along my flavored creamers and that helps a lot. Glad to hear that there is room at the pool as that is where I will be spending most of my time on my Freedom cruise in September.

We just got off the Freedon 2/20/16. I felt the coffee was OK. Not 5 star restaurant in New York City, but OK. Tea was better than last cruise. Order a Filet from the Steakhouse as an up charge in the MDR. Prob one of the best I have ever eaten. No sense in spending $35 a head when the wife doesn't eat much steak. This was really one of our best cruises.:D

So just to wrap up . Ports were belize, roatan and cozumel. Belize was crazy. You tender in and as soon as you hit the pier tour dealers were everywhere. We hired what we were promised was a 2 person vehicle. After our cards were charged they forced us onto a van tour. Beware the bait and switch. 25 bucks to go around the block. Roatan was so much better. We used daniel that we found on cc. 35 bucks got us a full tour, stops at the rescue zoo where I got to hold a sloth and then to the reptile farm, which was also cool. After the animals Eunice our guide brought us to an amazing private beach where we stayed for 2 more hours while she waited. Highly recommend this tour. We felt like family. Cozumel is not great. Shopping was very expensive. No deals to be had. I ended up buying a pearl bracelet from diamonds international st the pier that was on clearance. Now to the most ridiculous part of the trip, debarcation. Let me put it this way, we didn't get off the ship until 11 am. We sat for 3 hours waiting. Beware booking early flights, you may not make it.

All in all it was a fun and relaxing trip. I'd sail carnival again but doubtful if I'd leave from galviston. Way too much hassle and expense with transportation. Enjoy!

Cozumel is not great. Shopping was very expensive. No deals to be had. I ended up buying a pearl bracelet from diamonds international st the pier that was on clearance.

Cozumel is one of my favorite ports. But if you are buying from Diamonds International that tell me you stayed near the ship. To appreciate Cozumel you must go out in the economy of the city. Taking a cab downtown, shopping there are so many things I love about Coz. I do understand language can be a barrier when shopping but even with my poor Spanish I make do. I do have my husband that is fluent if needed.

Actually I took a taxi in cozumel to the main shopping district about 2 miles away. I walked around there about 2 hours before returning to the ship. I was searching for mexican leather handbags, which I collect. The same purses I purchases in Costa maya/ensineda /juarez on my numerous trips to Mexico were marked up 100% off prices I'd seen those towns. Cozumel is nothing more than a tourist trap. Most of the shops were owned by either carnival or other outsiders.

Actually I took a taxi in cozumel to the main shopping district about 2 miles away. I walked around there about 2 hours before returning to the ship. I was searching for mexican leather handbags, which I collect. The same purses I purchases in Costa maya/ensineda /juarez on my numerous trips to Mexico were marked up 100% off prices I'd seen those towns. Cozumel is nothing more than a tourist trap. Most of the shops were owned by either carnival or other outsiders.

I lived in Cozumel for about 9 months, before so many cruise ships stopped there. I have returned several times since then. The best way to find bargains is to get off the tourist path. When you walk far enough to see that the signs in the windows no longer show US$ prices, only pesos, you are there!