Icy Straight Point suggestion for activities

skrapngal

This will be a new stop for 2 in our party of 5. Any MUST-SEE activities here? I've had a quick look at what RCCL offers, but frankly they are all pretty expensive and so we would likely book privately!

Maybe do whale watching here to have time to do smth else in Juneau?

They've got you over a barrel at this port. There really isn't much to do or see unless you get a super expensive excursion.

I disagree, whale watching and bear tours are very reasonable, especially for brown bears, not needing a flight. However, I do recommend independent, and being on the move, not the ship contract tours, which are to a platform.

The Icy Strait "compound", is nicely featured, a scenic loop trail, Cannery Museum.

I question the "super expensive" since it can be a wide range. But on the scale of Alaska, I don't find it in Hoonah.

So basically you're telling people they shouldn't bother to go to Alaska unless they are willing to spend a ton of money. While I agree that having lots of money will certainly open many new and exciting experiences, I don't think it's right or very nice of you to say people shouldn't go if they don't spend what you deem to be an appropriate amount.

You obviously have extensive experience in Alaska but I wonder if you realize how condescending you sound in a lot of your replies.

if you're into nature hikes, with lots of explanations, there is a wonderful one in icy strait point.

I assume Royal still offers it.

last year it was called the "Walking of Ancient Oceans and Newborn Forests Tour".

My daughter did this one in addition to our whale watching excursion there.

I wanted to do the tour with her, but i had to stick with my mom, who wasn't able to do anything that required a lot of walking.

My daughter said it was her favorite excursion on the cruise! which is saying a lot as we did many very wonderful excursions!!

Edited by alaska_planner

So basically you're telling people they shouldn't bother to go to Alaska unless they are willing to spend a ton of money. While I agree that having lots of money will certainly open many new and exciting experiences, I don't think it's right or very nice of you to say people shouldn't go if they don't spend what you deem to be an appropriate amount.

You obviously have extensive experience in Alaska but I wonder if you realize how condescending you sound in a lot of your replies.

please, put me on your ignore list.

No thanks, I think I'll just keep telling you what I think.

Sorry skrapngal didn't mean to hijack your question with nonsense.

Carry on.

Not nonsense. I happen to admire your courage (as I didn't have it!) Kudos to you!!!

We have booked a private whale watching tour with Glacier Wind Charters for this coming May 2016 for $170 each for 3 1/2 hours and super excited. We were here a couple years ago and enjoyed walking around the cannery row. This year we are also going to have to stop in to the new Icy Strait Brewing Company near the dock. They also have an easy and free short walk at the beautiful Tongue National forest nearby...very peaceful and serene. You can also zipline from around here. You can also walk about 20 minutes, each way, on a easy path to Hoonah and see in person the super nice guys that are totem pole makers...that too is for free. Across the street, or nearby, there is also a eagles nest that seems to recur every year? The cemetery that you pass coming and going to Hoonah is pretty cool too....but we like checking out cemeteries wherever we go. I also believe you can purchase shuttle tickets for like $5 per person to go to town in Hoonah. Plenty to do on any budget :D

Have an awesome time...I know we will.

We have booked a private whale watching tour with Glacier Wind Charters for this coming May 2016 for $170 each for 3 1/2 hours and super excited. We were here a couple years ago and enjoyed walking around the cannery row. This year we are also going to have to stop in to the new Icy Strait Brewing Company near the dock. They also have an easy and free short walk at the beautiful Tongue National forest nearby...very peaceful and serene. You can also zipline from around here. You can also walk about 20 minutes, each way, on a easy path to Hoonah and see in person the super nice guys that are totem pole makers...that too is for free. Across the street, or nearby, there is also a eagles nest that seems to recur every year? The cemetery that you pass coming and going to Hoonah is pretty cool too....but we like checking out cemeteries wherever we go. I also believe you can purchase shuttle tickets for like $5 per person to go to town in Hoonah. Plenty to do on any budget :D

Have an awesome time...I know we will.

We have been looking at just that whale watching company!!!! Please tell me all about it when you get back.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm going to suggest you stick to ship offered excursions here, especially if you do a whale watch/bear search one.

We were there 5 years ago (and going back in July!! :D ). We took the RCCL offered Whale Watch and Bear Search Combo excursion. This one was pretty long at over 5 hours, was $250 and started right around noon.

Turned out to be a fairly cold and wet day while we were on the whale watch portion, but we still saw lots of whales!!! By the time we made it back to ISP, the sun was out and it was pleasant. We loaded up in buses and took a 20-30 minute ride out to where we were to search for bears. There was a trail there with several viewing platforms, and after striking out on the 1st 2, we struck gold at the 3rd where we saw a mother brown bear with 3 cubs!!! They were up the creek a ways, but were steadily moving downstream towards us. They eventually came right by us passing within 30 feet of where we were all standing!!!

The whole point of my story is that we were over 45 minutes late getting back to the ship, but they waited for us. If on a private excursion I can only assume that I either would not have been able to wait for those bears to get to us, or we would have missed the last tender back to the ship!!! You can check my review below in my signature if you want to see a couple of the bear pictures

Whatever you decide, I hope it turns out great for you!!

We have been looking at just that whale watching company!!!! Please tell me all about it when you get back.

Saw your post regarding Glacier Wind for whale watching. We have gone with this company numerous times and enjoyed our experiences very much. I have posted reviews on TripAdvisor. If you do a search on this board and look for Glacier Wind, I am sure you will find other positive remarks on them.

If Glacier Wind is not available, F.I.S.H.E.S. is another great company.

The whole point of my story is that we were over 45 minutes late getting back to the ship, but they waited for us. If on a private excursion I can only assume that I either would not have been able to wait for those bears to get to us, or we would have missed the last tender back to the ship!!! You can check my review below in my signature if you want to see a couple of the bear pictures

Whatever you decide, I hope it turns out great for you!!

LOVE your pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulajj View Post

No thanks, I think I'll just keep telling you what I think.

Sorry skrapngal didn't mean to hijack your question with nonsense.

Carry on.

Not nonsense. I happen to admire your courage (as I didn't have it!) Kudos to you!!!

:D Like :D