Would a Celebrity fan be happy with MSC?

ImpulsivePuppy

Hi Blondie, that's interesting the loyalty match! We have been with lots of brands but do at least three Celebrity cruises a year.

Have yet to try MSC they seem to do some nice itineraries though, please let our know what you think if you do go with them

Yes - there is a form to download - they will accept a screenshot of your current membership - You send them whichever line you are at a highest level on - and they match it with their equivalent -

I thought that was a nice touch :)

Yes - there is a form to download - they will accept a screenshot of your current membership - You send them whichever line you are at a highest level on - and they match it with their equivalent -

I thought that was a nice touch :)

I was looking at the online form and wondered what sort of proof they would require. What date are we to use for when the card was issued? Would that be the approximate date that we first joined Captain's Club? It seems to be required information.

We are Elite Plus with Celebrity and sailed on MSC Divina last year in the Caribbean. We loved the experience. We were in a regular balcony cabin. We found the food delicious! It was not the usual fare we are used to from Celebrity and Royal and we enjoyed a change. No one is going to starve on a cruise ship. The only off putting thing for us was the MDR tables were extremely close together. The poor waiters could not walk completely around them and had to hand some dishes over peoples heads. Not a deal breaker but certainly different. The entertainment we thought was top notch. The cabins were elegant and the beds very comfortable. The aft pool with the infinity edge was beautiful.

I've never had a bad cruise so I certainly would encourage you to give them a try based on price and itinerary.

We just emailed a snapshot of my last Set Sail pass from a Celebrity cruise showing our elite status to the loyalty division of MSC. I don't remember the address...I got it from the website. It took a couple of weeks to hear back from them but they generously gave us their top tier.

Relatives did Yacht Club a couple of week ago, and according to them (and they have done 75+ cruises) blew everything else out of the water. And that would include their many cruises on =X= including many in suites.

We did Yacht Club in Feb 2014 4-day Divina from MIA to try after 20 X cruises. I too was excited by YC reviews. We paid nearly $400 pp per day for YC trip (max = 68 YC cabins). Std suite was only 300 sqft, modest balcony. It's all-inclusive only in YC section. Bring your own party - lounge, pool deck was very quiet.

I note that overall rating of MSC then on Ccritic was 63% past cruisers would recommend vs low 80% for X S-class.

YC restaurant was nice (certain window seats can have loungers in bathing suits other side of window, so get a "good view".)

MSC brags about 'best entertainment at sea" and it is best I've seen - they must pay a lot of royalties to offer shows like Michael Jackson tribute.

WATCH FOR 'KIDS FREE' (just port fees) pricing. Our trip was overrun - public areas crowded, noisy. Great Stirrup Cay tendering BIG delays, unhappy pax.

Bottom line - Yacht Club nice but falls short of Celebrity value-for-$. Good Luck

In August 2013 I cruised on the MSC Armonia, a Mediterranean cruise chosen by Australian friends for its timing (when 2 sets of friends were over here at the same time). Never again!

Before we left, we had to change our flights home as MSC changed the time of its arrival in Venice, meaning we would not make our original flights after all. Extra cost.

We were in Oceanview rooms. I was disappointed to find there was no armchair in the room as my health is poor and I like to rest in an armchair. (I have travelled Oceanview on Princess Line and Cunard and always had an armchair.)

In the mornings I was woken by the purser knocking on my door early. This happened most mornings. He never did learn that I need my sleep and like to wake up late. (On Cunard, the purser learns that after the first morning of seeing a sign on the door, or knocking if I forget the sign.) I even tried putting out a 'Do not disturb' sign but that made no difference. He insisted that children had a habit of removing signs or turning them over.

It was school holidays and children were running up and down the corridors and through public areas unsupervised. I even heard 4-year-olds knocking on cabin doors begging to be let in, or at least to be told where they were meant to go: 'Deck 5? Deck 6? Where?!!' with no answer.

At lunchtime there were long queues (out the dining room door) for the buffet. Breakfast was cleared away at 10am. It was rare to find milk for my coffee. I realised why when I saw the woman in front of me in line filling up 2 mugs with warm milk (for cafe latte?) and leaving me barely a drizzle for my own coffee. Most of the time I had to rely on UHT milk in sachets.

All announcements were made in multiple languages and were broadcast into staterooms. No way to sleep in or take a nap.

Their luggage labels for disembarkation left a bit to be desired. I spotted the problem and disregarded their instructions of how to fit them. A friend did it their way and her label came off, which meant her bag was last off the ship and we missed our transfer to the airport and had to wait nearly an hour for the next one. Look carefully at their luggage labels if you go, and work out the best method for yourself. :D

I found the atmosphere a bit too frenetic. This poor Brit could not cope with being surrounded by over-emotional, loud foreigners! ;)

I was aware of people wherever I went. On Cunard ships I never feel that way.

Perhaps MSC would suit Extraverts who like lots of action and people and noise, but it did not suit this Introvert who needs peace and quiet and a calm atmosphere.

Edited by fantasy51

...a budget line for Europeans, maybe.

We've been on the large ships at a knockdown price. They certainly cram more people in.

The MDR food is passable, but the risotto (a different one every night) was really very good and al dente, as was the pasta.

Coffee, and ice-cream are much cheaper and better.

The cabin was more or less the same as Celebrity but had a tub.

Gym, fine, but crowded.

Basically more people, cheaper, food so-so, room and balcony, fine.

I have only been on Costa, similar type of cruise line as MSC.

If you are American and want to only experience Americanize cruises stay with X. If you want to try something different but still in safe environment, Try MSC.

We live in Fl so booking a getaway requires only Money, No Air, and just a short drive to the port. I like to try different things and if the perks, and loyalty match perks, and PRICE WAS RIGHT I would try MSC. When you are just happy just to be on a ship MSC might be worth a try.

Edited by north29

We are trying MSC this fall out of Southampton.

We are elite plus on X, and this will be our first cruise on different line (except for one Lindblad).

We cruise for (seemingly to me anyway) different reasons than most...The ship is really just a hotel on the water for us. We have never eaten in the MDR, for example. This MSC cruise is port intensive and since MSC has (I'm not sure what to call it) flexible cruise starting points, we could make the timing fit perfectly into our schedule.

As "elite plus" we were granted "black" status on MSC...very easy process, all online, and we now have the highest status they have.

We booked a "bare bones" balcony rate, basically it comes with nothing, and that is perfect for us.

I look forward to seeing if the grass is indeed greener, or not!

Interesting question!

As Celebrity fans ourselves we have been lured to try MSC by their Yacht Club concept and the loyalty match they are offering.

Believe me we are very loyal to Royal and Celebrity but the prices and reviews of the MSC yacht club have convinced us to try it for a week this Christmas.

http://www.mscyachtclub.com/yacht_club/homepage.aspx

Not sure if I would cruise in a regular cabin on MSC but the Yacht club reviews are pretty impressive.

Guess we will find out for ourselves at the end of the year!

We are Elite Plus on Celebrity and received Black Card status under their reciprocity offer which gave us 2 free dinners in their specialty restaurants and other small benefits. We did go on an MSC Caribbean cruise last December on The Divina. The rates are very attractive. IMHO I was very disappointed in most of the items we usually tick off. To be fair - we did not go Yacht Club. We had a regular cabin where room service is usually charged at $ 7.50 per person ( We were not charged as a perc on Black Card). Our cabin and bath were nice. The food was not at all what we are used to or anywhere near it. The dining room service was terrible. My worst day on Celebrity was my best day on MSC. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Edited by socreader

Think of it this way - MSC is basically a freight line, that is their main business - their cruise ships just consider people freight on their passenger ships, and that is how they are treated. Freight doesn't talk back, sometimes people do.

That's like saying that Celebrity and Azamara are basically RCL as that's their main business.

Each line is operated separately. The MSC crew don't come from the freight division!

I will comment more later but can say now you will enjoy MSC if you are travelled and enjoy an international atmosphere and cuisine. Especially if you like Italian dishes. If you are comfortable with mostly English speaking folks you may not be happy as the line attracts people from the world to sail Divina from Miami.

We sailed Divina twice in the Carribean and one TA and can say it is a great value and experience.

We are Elite Plus with Celebrity and sailed on MSC Divina last year in the Caribbean. We loved the experience. We were in a regular balcony cabin. We found the food delicious! It was not the usual fare we are used to from Celebrity and Royal and we enjoyed a change. No one is going to starve on a cruise ship. The only off putting thing for us was the MDR tables were extremely close together. The poor waiters could not walk completely around them and had to hand some dishes over peoples heads. Not a deal breaker but certainly different. The entertainment we thought was top notch. The cabins were elegant and the beds very comfortable. The aft pool with the infinity edge was beautiful.

I've never had a bad cruise so I certainly would encourage you to give them a try based on price and itinerary.

We just emailed a snapshot of my last Set Sail pass from a Celebrity cruise showing our elite status to the loyalty division of MSC. I don't remember the address...I got it from the website. It took a couple of weeks to hear back from them but they generously gave us their top tier.

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. But again, I'll say more later.

If you are a Celebrity fan, I don't think the typical MSC is suitable for you. Having sailed on the Silhouette once, I found the overall experience to be rather poshed and refined.

However, the Yacht Club on MSC is a different product altogether. We loved it and the pricing (for sailing out of Genoa) was really good!

The exclusive Yacht Club areas include the Top Sail Lounge, the One Pool, One Bar and the Yacht Club restaurant (menus change every day). Lots of complimentary drinks included too, so it is an all-inclusive experience.

Top Sail Lounge & drinks menu

[YOUTUBE]cvgEQmCuis0[/YOUTUBE]

One Pool/One Bar

[YOUTUBE]QXW3gNUaN-8[/YOUTUBE]

Yacht Club restaurant gala dinner

[YOUTUBE]2_DnkB_ubl0[/YOUTUBE]

Full review on cruise critic of the MSC experience in my signature.

I will comment more later but can say now you will enjoy MSC if you are travelled and enjoy an international atmosphere and cuisine. Especially if you like Italian dishes. If you are comfortable with mostly English speaking folks you may not be happy as the line attracts people from the world to sail Divina from Miami.

We sailed Divina twice in the Carribean and one TA and can say it is a great value and experience.

Well I am well travelled and enjoy an international atmosphere but i do not like bad food and poor service and HATED MSC.

Maybe it was Magnifica (not!) and maybe other ships are better. I would truly hope so.

I don't get this "contribution to the discussion.....you recommend MSC based on you having been on what you call a comparable line but, having no actual experience on MSC.....uh....OK

I have only been on Costa, similar type of cruise line as MSC.

If you are American and want to only experience Americanize cruises stay with X. If you want to try something different but still in safe environment, Try MSC.

We live in Fl so booking a getaway requires only Money, No Air, and just a short drive to the port. I like to try different things and if the perks, and loyalty match perks, and PRICE WAS RIGHT I would try MSC. When you are just happy just to be on a ship MSC might be worth a try.

THE COMMENT DOES NOT EQUATE TO THAT AT ALL. Just because a person says something about one line the comment does not apply to all lines......Very poor logic there

That's like saying that Celebrity and Azamara are basically RCL as that's their main business.

Each line is operated separately. The MSC crew don't come from the freight division!

We are Celebrity fans and have sailed MSC once. I think is a bit difference! Food is sub par, the only italian is the name, it was loud and crowded everywhere. The ships are glitzy (at least the Fantasia). One big minus was that there was smoking at the indoor pool, made it almost impossible to use it for me. Hot tubs always occupied by children, even babies with diapers! Yacht club may be different but for that price a can almost cruise seabourne or similar luxury lines. I don't know if their americanize ship is different but i would compare MSC with carnival not celebrity.

Well I am well travelled and enjoy an international atmosphere but i do not like bad food and poor service and HATED MSC.

Maybe it was Magnifica (not!) and maybe other ships are better. I would truly hope so.

MSC don't deliver bad food and poor service in general, and I don't know why you would "HATE" them.

I've had bad food and poor service on a number of other lines too e.g. RCL and Celebrity, but I still sail them - it's not the regular experience.

The same with MSC. They're one of the largest lines out there, so they wouldn't succeed if they only delivered "poor food and service." It doesn't seem like much of a business model.

THE COMMENT DOES NOT EQUATE TO THAT AT ALL. Just because a person says something about one line the comment does not apply to all lines......Very poor logic there

Thanks for shouting. We had difficulty hearing you.

Actually, your logic is at fault, since the analogy was well fitted.

He claimed that passengers were treated like freight, because that is the main business of another - completely separate - division of MSC the company.

"Think of it this way - MSC is basically a freight line, that is their main business - their cruise ships just consider people freight on their passenger ships, and that is how they are treated. Freight doesn't talk back, sometimes people do."

I pointed out that is just like claiming the service experience onboard of Azamara and Celebrity is actually that of the main - completely separate - business of RCL which is Royal Caribbean.

What part of that analogy are you struggling with?

we are elite on Celebrity - diamond plus on Royal Caribbean and cruise almost exclusively on these 2. We did a 7 day Caribbean on the MSC Divina with friends and all of us absolutely loved it. We thought the food in the MDR was very good, we had terrific service, loved the variety of items in the buffet and thought the entertainment was steps above what Celebrity or Royal Caribbean offers.

However, we did a TA on the Divina and found that a lot changed once the ship changed into their 'european' mode. The biggest issue was that more and more smoking areas were allowed on the ship. Some food items in the buffet also changed (i.e. no cartons of milk provided in the buffet).

Bottom line - definitely try them for a Caribbean!

Marianne

I'm pretty sure that we'll probably stay with what we know and know we love, Celebrity, for now. I would love to hop on Seabourne some day but don't want to pay Seabourne prices to get on Yacht Club on MSC, rather just do the real thing.

After 27 X cruises, trying Oceania from MIA 7day Dec-15. Oceanview shows $2200 pp on website but that includes air to MIA from major US hubs. If don't need their air, -$450 credit, so net $1750 pp They have choice of bev pkg or $300 OBC. Basic OV fare averages $250 pp per day, inside cabins a few hundred less each but those are sold out. Verandas start near $2000 without air for the week.

Many on Oceania board comment that Oceania is better value than Seabourne.

We tried MSC Yacht Club at $400 pp per day. While nice overall, not worth that much to us as we enjoy the better $ value of basic veranda on X with our Elite+ perks. Happy Cruising

I was looking at the online form and wondered what sort of proof they would require. What date are we to use for when the card was issued? Would that be the approximate date that we first joined Captain's Club? It seems to be required information.

I don't have my card at all - I emailed them and they said they would be hapy with a screen shot - Id just put an approx. date - don't think they are too fussed if you send the screenshot showing your status.