Getting irritated with rci after all these years

jebl

I started cruising with RCI way back in 1986. Over the years I have seen a decline in services, policies, and the overall product.

Still I worked up the D+ the hard way, no suites and mostly 7 day cruises.

I am booked on the Serenade TA in April. It wasn't very inexpensive when I booked so only took an OV. Got a nice OBC though.

Now the price for a Balc GTY is about $500 less( actually mor with my Balc disc) than what I paid for the OV.

I KNOW there is no refund after final payment and that's fine. It is the policy.

But they want to take away my $200 OBC!! No amount of arguing by my TA made a bit of difference.

I think RCI is being really petty with some of their policies.

Makes me rethink being so loyal to them. GRRRRR.

OK rant over.

I started cruising with RCI way back in 1986. Over the years I have seen a decline in services, policies, and the overall product.

I am booked on the Serenade TA in April. It wasn't very inexpensive when I booked so only took an OV. Got a nice OBC though.

Now the price for a Balc GTY is about $500 less( actually mor with my Balc disc) than what I paid for the OV.

I KNOW there is no refund after final payment and that's fine. It is the policy.

But they want to take away my $200 OBC!! No amount of arguing by my TA made a bit of difference.

OK rant over.

Any cruiseline you use that this hasn't happened?

When you book a cruise with OBC, you need to reduce the cost of the cruise by the OBC amount. $2500 cruise with $200 OBC makes it $2300

You now see a new price that is $500 less, you can't expect to keep OBC from a previous promotion. Not the TA's fault

Would you feel better if the reduction was $300 and you got to keep the OBC?

Edited by SeaUs

Judy, so sorry to hear and I can understand your frustration. I'd love to hear about your favorite ship and cruise since DW and I are still learning and loving cruising.

I think your first cruise is always your favorite. Although I do love Radiance class ships, the Allure was truly awesome

I am looking at MSC. They have beautiful ships and good prices.

Only been on 1 cruise that was not that great. The Eclipse TA. Just didn't like the ship or activities. Or should I say lack thereof.

Keep on cruising!!!

Edited by jebl

Any cruiseline you use that this hasn't happened?

When you book a cruise with OBC, you need to reduce the cost of the cruise by the OBC amount. $2500 cruise with $200 OBC makes it $2300

You now see a new price that is $500 less, you can't expect to keep OBC from a previous promotion. Not the TA's fault

Would you feel better if the reduction was $300 and you got to keep the OBC?

I was looking to upgrade my room. The upgrade was less that what I originally paid. Was not looking at any price reductions. Just wanted them to keep my money and let me have the OBC.

I was looking to upgrade my room. The upgrade was less that what I originally paid. Was not looking at any price reductions. Just wanted them to keep my money and let me have the OBC.

Unfortunately, whenever you make a change like that, you are subject to whatever is the current promo.

What she is saying is now the room is $500 less(or $800 with OBC) than what she paid but it will cost her $200 to upgrade because of losing the OBC.

I can see her point.

I understand the OP's disappointment, but Royal is being consistent with recent unpopular policies.

Edited by clarea

I understand the OP's disappointment, but Royal is being consistent with recent unpopular policies.

We make the best deal that we can when we book and try to keep an eye out for better deals. When they come along after final payment it is frustrating.

Now she has to look at it another way. She can get a GTY balcony for only $200 more.

Edited by fred30

I may not be understanding, but if you save $500, plus get to use your balcony discount (maybe $200), plus get to have a balcony instead of an OV what do you have to lose. Your net savings is still $500 and you get to have a balcony. I'd do it without even thinking about it.

The balcony discount you can use now makes up for losing the OBC.

Unless, like I said, I'm not understanding it right. How can this be a problem?

Tom

I think your first cruise is always your favorite. Although I do love Radiance class ships, the Allure was truly awesome

I am looking at MSC. They have beautiful ships and good prices.

Only been on 1 cruise that was not that great. The Eclipse TA. Just didn't like the ship or activities. Or should I say lack thereof.

Keep on cruising!!!

Right now MSC have very good prices for their balconies, but I have noticed they've gone up a little since I've looked two wks ago., I'd jump on their prices before they get high, THEN, please come back and let us know what you think? :D

I may not be understanding, but if you save $500, plus get to use your balcony discount (maybe $200), plus get to have a balcony instead of an OV what do you have to lose. Your net savings is still $500 and you get to have a balcony. I'd do it without even thinking about it.

The balcony discount you can use now makes up for losing the OBC.

Unless, like I said, I'm not understanding it right. How can this be a problem?

Tom

She's after final payment they won't reduce the price.

Ah, so she loses money in the deal then it's not as good of a deal as I thought. Sigh.

Tom

What she is saying is now the room is $500 less(or $800 with OBC) than what she paid but it will cost her $200 to upgrade because of losing the OBC.

I can see her point.

Are other lines more flexible after final payment?

Carnival has an Early Saver price that gives you price drops after final payment. However, there are some disadvantages, such as non-refundable deposit, and fees to change ship or sail date.

The "hard way" always amuses me. You got a lot of entertainment and food while you were sailing along doing it hard. We got to d+ the expensive way by doing suites or balconies.

We do however agree with the OP that there are some disappointing changes happening in service and food standards.

However one of the changes we are pleased to see is that the policies in booking and offers is starting to be pulled more into line across the world. The OP might be interested to know that if we in Australia would like to enjoy upgrading when there is a price drop we need to cancel our reservation, and take the relevant penalty for cancelling, and rebook a totally new booking.

This is what you all have to look forward to. The conditions are changing and the day that everyone in every country can book under the same conditions will be a fair day. In the mean time, enjoy the much more flexible connections that you have.

Edited by goodycruising

OK rant over.

Don't need to be so hung up over being loyal to Royal. It is all a ploy. I have nothing against Royal, in fact my next cruise is with Royal.

But do try out other cruise lines too, if you haven't.