Paying in AUD or USD on RCI

nix1016

Hi All,

First time cruiser here, I'm completing my online check in and was wondering what I should select for paying my onboard expenses with. Should I use RCI's international currency conversion program or let them charge me in USD and pay the 3% credit card fees as I've heard that the conversion rate from RCI is often not favourable?

I know that there are nil fee credit cards but as I'm currently overseas, I won't be able to apply for one in time. :(

Thanks!

Welcome to CruiseCritic nix1016.

Hope you will find great advice on here as I always have.

There is another possibility which may not know about, and that is to pay your account, either in USD or AUD, whilst still onboard BEFORE you disembark.

This is what we do every time, usually on the night before we disembark, we go to the Services Desk and pay the account in full. In USD on RCI and AUD on Princess.

The only time we have been caught out, is when a mini bar expense had not been added to the account when we paid it, so a very small cost was needed to be paid for by our credit card.

I agree with KAYTO about letting your own bank do any conversion required rather than RCI.

Hope this helps,

Rosee

Hi All,

First time cruiser here, I'm completing my online check in and was wondering what I should select for paying my onboard expenses with. Should I use RCI's international currency conversion program or let them charge me in USD and pay the 3% credit card fees as I've heard that the conversion rate from RCI is often not favourable?

I know that there are nil fee credit cards but as I'm currently overseas, I won't be able to apply for one in time. :(

Thanks!

Don't use the currency conversion service . it isn't run by RCI but a company in Europe . They charge up to 5% for the privilege of using the service. Have them charge directly in USD to your card and pay the 3% . Your card will give you the best rate anyway.

Hi All,

I kznow that there are nil fee credit cards but as I'm currently overseas, I won't be able to apply for one in time. :(

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum nix1016 After reading your question, I think you may have slightly misunderstood a couple of things. Imagine you are basically asking if you should select A or B on the currency conversion question.

If you choose option A the ship will convert your account from US$ to Aus$ and charge you a fee of three percent of the total amount of what you have spent on the cruise.

If you select option B the ship will leave your account in US$ ( no charges involved) and your bank will do the currency conversion and charge you whatever their rate is for that service, depending on which bank you are with and the type of credit card you have. Ask your bank what their fees are for your card and if it is less than three percent go with the bank, if it is more, go with the ship ( and maybe change your bank:D )

Thanks all for your advice, if I go to the service desk to pay the night before disembarking, do they tell you what they will charge in AUD and USD so that we can compare to see what works out cheaper? I know my bank will definitely charge 3% so if their conversion works out to be more than that I will just let them charge me in USD.

Yep, definitely getting the 28 degrees card I've read about after this trip :)

Edited by nix1016

Do a Google search for the subject dynamic currency and be prepared for an interesting read. IMO I would get the ship to charge your account in USD and get the bank to do the conversion it will work out cheaper that way.

Yep I always le the bank do it.

Thanks all for your advice, if I go to the service desk to pay the night before disembarking, do they tell you what they will charge in AUD and USD so that we can compare to see what works out cheaper? I know my bank will definitely charge 3% so if their conversion works out to be more than that I will just let them charge me in USD.

Do you have time to ge the 28 degrees before you go.

Call them, they maybe able to rush it.

Also be aware that some banks charge fees even if the charge is in AUD, in such cases where the charge is lodged through an off-shore bank - and I think RCI falls into that category.

I also concur with the advice to leave the charge in USD and let your credit card company do the conversion.

Also be aware that some banks charge fees even if the charge is in AUD, in such cases where the charge is lodged through an off-shore bank - and I think RCI falls into that category.

Ah yes true, I've been bitten by that before. Looks like I'll just go with USD then! Thanks!

I don't have enough time to apply for 28 degrees unfortunately, I get back to Australia 3 days before sailing... but I'll have it prepared for next time! :)

Hi All,

Thanks!

Welcome to cruising, Go with your bank's conversion, it is a better rate than the ship's.:D

The ship will only charge you in USD, accounts will change to AUD and charge you for the privilege.

I also concur with the advice to leave the charge in USD and let your credit card company do the conversion.

Good point. It's why DCC has become even more of a rort.

Debit cards have one big disadvantage . The ship will put a hold on your card every day . Once the hold is released at the end of the cruise. You won't have any access to those funds until the bank releases the hold.

Yes, better off having a CC or a cash account and then changing it the last day to pay it off.

Another option is to try to have some idea of the total USD that you expect to spend onboard and purchase USD travellers cheques before you go. Use your credit card if you do not have enough. Then at least you will not have to worry about the exchange rate you are charged.

Another option is to try to have some idea of the total USD that you expect to spend onboard and purchase USD travellers cheques before you go. Use your credit card if you do not have enough. Then at least you will not have to worry about the exchange rate you are charged.

That would work okay, if you have some cheques in smaller amounts so that you can get close to the total amount. As you still pay for a conversion with Traveller's cheques, a CC is easier for me.:D

Edited by MicCanberra