Narita Express - Tokyo

Lynniepoo

Hello, DH and I are taking a cruise ending in Tokyo and we will be staying one day extra. The next day, we would like to take the Narita Express train to Narita airport.

Can anyone tell me a little about it in general, for example, where can you pick up the train in Tokyo and what is a good general area for a hotel with that in mind? thanks!

You can take the N'Ex from several main stations, such as Tokyo,

Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, even Yokohama: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

There's also the Keisei Skyliner, which is faster and cheaper and goes

from Ueno: http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/index.php

Which you take and where you stay depends on what you want to do and

see. Ueno is good for museums, Shinjuku for the modern

vibe, Tokyo for high-end shopping, etc.

Take a look at Japan Guide and see what appeals to you, then work back

from that: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Edited by someotherguy
Fixed spelling

You can take the N'Ex from several main stations, such as Tokyo,

Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, even Yokohama: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

There's also the Keisei Skyliner, which is faster and cheaper and goes

from Ueno: http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/index.php

Which you take and where you stay depends on what you want to do and

see. Ueno is good for museums, Shinjuku for the modern

vibe, Tokyo for high-end shopping, etc.

Take a look at Japan Guide and see what appeals to you, then work back

from that: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

thank you! This is what I needed. :)

We stayed at the Marunouchi Hotel (different to the Metropolitan Marunouchi), which is also directly opposite Tokyo Station, some years ago. It was a very comfortable hotel. We found it very easy to get around Tokyo using the trains from Tokyo Station.

The Narita Express is excellent.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

As I recall boarding with luggage was as easy on the Narita Express as any train. I'm fairly certain there was plenty of space for luggage but if you have too much luggage you might have problems getting it on and off.

I can't recall the cost, sorry. We paid in Japanese currency.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

What about boarding with luggage? How easy is that?

I read somewhere that one way is about $35 US.

Do you remember how long it took?

Thanks,

Carol

Northern California

You can roll your luggage bags onto the train, without lifting. It is great. You can leave your luggage at a space by the entrance or put is on a rack above your seats.

The train takes 53 minutes, I believe to go from Narita to Tokyo Station.

Has anyone taken it directly to Yokohama? We are arriving at Narita around 3:30 pm the day before sailing and spending the night in Yokohama. I thought we'd use the limousine bus but with traffic and all, a train sounds better.

Has anyone taken it directly to Yokohama? We are arriving at Narita around 3:30 pm the day before sailing and spending the night in Yokohama. I thought we'd use the limousine bus but with traffic and all, a train sounds better.

Just make sure you're on the right train - some don't go to Yokohama - otherwise you'll be fine. The staff at the airport are very helpful and will probably help to ensure you get the right train.

Definitely better than a bus! :D

Just make sure you're on the right train - some don't go to Yokohama - otherwise you'll be fine. The staff at the airport are very helpful and will probably help to ensure you get the right train.

Definitely better than a bus! :D

Thanks, that sounds great. So you just buy your ticket when you get to the airport? It looks like the train runs about every 30 minutes to Yokohama during the day?

Thanks, that sounds great. So you just buy your ticket when you get to the airport? It looks like the train runs about every 30 minutes to Yokohama during the day?

Yes, we just bought tickets when we arrived at the airport. You may need local currency but there should be ATMs at the airport too.

Yes, we just bought tickets when we arrived at the airport. You may need local currency but there should be ATMs at the airport too.

Most ATMs in Japan don't take US ATM cards. The ATMs at the post offices do take US ATM cards.

We purchased our Yen in the USA. I suggest that anyone going to Japan not depend on using their ATMs.

Most ATMs in Japan don't take US ATM cards. The ATMs at the post offices do take US ATM cards.

We purchased our Yen in the USA. I suggest that anyone going to Japan not depend on using their ATMs.

Very often the post office opening hours aren't extensive.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to have a seat reservation for the N'Ex. When you buy a ticket to Yokohama, the clerk will give you seats in the right part of the right train so make sure you read it carefully and sit in the right place (most of the trains split in Tokyo, half goes to Shinjuku, the other half to Yokohama and on to Ofuna). You buy tickets from the window near the entrance to the N'Ex, not the big office nearby that has long lines of people exchanging rail passes. It is cash only. As others have said, in most of Japan only Post Office and 7-11 ATMs reliably work with foreign cards, but at the airport it's likely others will do so as well.

PS. Post Office ATMs are often in a lobby that is open even when the Post Office is not.

Edited by someotherguy

We got lucky, then. Our BofA card didn't work anywhere except Singapore, but our credit union ATM card worked fine in several Japanese ATMs. We used both bank and 7-11 machines. We used our credit cards to purchase the tickets - just be sure to get one that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

We took the Narita Express to Shinagawa and it was a piece of cake - we were also able to walk to our hotel, the Westin Tokyo, from there. We splurged on the Green Car, which offers a slightly nicer seat, but no extra amenities. I don't think I would do that again.