Favorite Cruise Moment/Feeling?

Well, I have had two... that stand out, first and foremost the most exciting and breathtaking sight I have ever seen on a cruise happend last year when we sailed out of NY on the Carn. Miracle, going out from NY Harbor, being so close to Lady Liberty... What an awsome breath taking experience it was for me and my family. First time ever seeing her and at that moment, I fully understood all the stories that others have said about her standing there, showing the world, that we are Americans, we are the land of the free. I know some of you out there from time to time like to talk down Americans as arrogent and pompus, but Im telling you, has nothing at all to do with that, its all about when theres trouble, you will not find any better place to be than here in America, we do come together when it is needed.

Ok sorry about the little speach, but thats what I took from my first view of the Statue of Liberty.

Secondly,, 2 years ago when my dear wife and I were on the Carn Glory, best feeling in the world was watching my wife win the jackpot Bingo and me sitting there and letting them count the cash into my hand as they were calling out her winning numbers. Paid for our cruise and a bit extra.. Way to Go Honey!!!! What a Grand cruise memory that was for sure.

Well, I have had two... that stand out, first and foremost the most exciting and breathtaking sight I have ever seen on a cruise happend last year when we sailed out of NY on the Carn. Miracle, going out from NY Harbor, being so close to Lady Liberty... What an awsome breath taking experience it was for me and my family. First time ever seeing her and at that moment, I fully understood all the stories that others have said about her standing there, showing the world, that we are Americans, we are the land of the free. I know some of you out there from time to time like to talk down Americans as arrogent and pompus, but Im telling you, has nothing at all to do with that, its all about when theres trouble, you will not find any better place to be than here in America, we do come together when it is needed.

Ok sorry about the little speach, but thats what I took from my first view of the Statue of Liberty.

Secondly,, 2 years ago when my dear wife and I were on the Carn Glory, best feeling in the world was watching my wife win the jackpot Bingo and me sitting there and letting them count the cash into my hand as they were calling out her winning numbers. Paid for our cruise and a bit extra.. Way to Go Honey!!!! What a Grand cruise memory that was for sure.

Like most of you, the moment I see the ship for the first time is always breathtaking. I always feel a heightened sense of excitment and I am never disappointed.

One sweet moment was when I was on the Horizon with my DH, sis and bro in law on the way to Bermuda. My sis and I were standing at the rail looking at the Manhattan skyline pass us by. All of a sudden we passed the building we grew up in. Such wonderful memories. My mom always wanted my sis and I to be close, take vacations together, etc. Mom passed away a year prior to that cruise and as we stood there reminiscing we said.. "this one's for you mom".

Texancruser I hope you have many wonderful cruises to help make you feel very close to your dad.

Nliedel and CruisemanTx and everyone: Enjoy your cruises to the fullest!

Reading these posts has brought back so many wonderful memories!! Like many of you, my favorite moment is driving to the cruise dock and seeing our ship for the first time. There she is..... a beautiful ship and our whole vacation ahead of us. After boarding, I love the feeling of walking around and exploring the ship for the first time, and of course, the sail-a-way is the time when your heart is full of excitement and anticipation of the experiences about to come your way. Also, as another poster put it...... early morning out on deck when only a few people are out and about is a peaceful and tranquil time when you can reflect on all the things that you are thankful for. If we are flying to a port, we ALWAYS fly in at least one day early so there is no possibility of missing the sailing due to late or cancelled flights. This makes the morning of boarding easy and stress-free, and really gets your vacation off to a positive start.

For new 1st time cruisers reading this post, always remember...... DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!! YOUR CRUISE WILL BE AS GREAT AS YOU MAKE IT!!

Peggy

There is so much I love about cruising:

sailing out from a grand port- we sailed out of New York for a Transatlantic and it was grand to be out there with the Statue of Liberty!

stepping on the ship for the first time- wheeee- feeling the grandeur of a ship

going up to the sun deck and feeling the heat and wind and freedom of sailing

listening to a calypso band at sundown with friends and drinks -we're all suntanned and windblown -quite happy and many more...

I love being on the upper decks when the ship is still docked at the embarkation port; watching the taxis & buses come & go and thinking "ha! I'm on the ship and you're not!" ;) Just kidding... I do love the sensation of knowing that the cruise has not even begun but that I'm already on vacation!!

Kathy

Oh my, ..I don't know how I forgot this, ...but previously I stated my most favorite moment was sitting down to my first multiple course dinner. I'm all a flutter that I didn't remember this.

On Carnival's Paradise in November, My now husband proposed to me on our formal night. We were in the process of taking formal portraits on the lower level of the Centrium. The photographer turned my stool around so that my back was against my now husbands chest and at that moment my honey swiveled me facing him while he was down on one knee proposing. The amazing photographer got the whole thing in unison from the asking to the accepting. I cried like a baby and everyone on all the decks cheered for us. Now that ladies and gentlemen was my all time favorite cruise moment. :)

My first (and so far, only) cruise was last month on the Rhapsody. Steve and I had been planning this cruise for months. Then, in August, six weeks before we were to sail, my beloved mother died. Heartbroken, hollow, and empty, we decided to go ahead and go, that we would need a break from the commotion of a death in the family. Then Rita struck. Our 7-day cruise was shortened to 4 days and I was a MESS. SOOOO disappointed.

Then, we got on the ship, and I was transported to another world. Because the ship was so empty, we were able to upgrade from an inside cabin to an oceanview. The first morning, I woke up, and the first thing I did was look out the window. There it was -- the most spectacular sunrise I have ever seen. Glowing pink on the smooth-as-glass water. My sweet husband sleeping peacefully beside me. And in that moment, I knew that Mom was there, and that she would be there in every future beautiful moment in my life. It was like she made the sun rise for me that morning, to give me a renewed sense of hope and the strength to keep going.

I will never forget that feeling as long as I live.

For me about two months before the cruise date I feel a quiet bubbly excitement inside - that finally explodes when I see the ship at the dock we are about to board. A realization hits me that we finally MADE IT and all is right with the world and us for the period of the cruise, we have entered into paradise.

Other precious moments: walking into dinner the first formal night, sitting by the pool listing to Reggae, getting up early and watching the sunrise from our balcony!

The second you cross over the threshold and onto the ship!

Best moment was 2 weeks ago - DS and I went on a mother/son cruise for his birthday (dad had to work). DS tells me at dinner that this is his best birthday present EVER! Kudos to mom for outdoing the Playstation 2 :D .

Just had to add more one. Y'all made me think back to my first cruise out of San Juan. On my last Rhapsody cruise, we hit our ports at about 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning, so unfortunately, I was generally awake when we were arriving and could watch the process. (The unfortunately refers only to my inability to sleep late any more.) On the first cruise, we seemed to arrive at the different ports before sunrise. So, I'd get up and open the curtains and absolutely be amazed by the new vistas in front of me. I had a new surprise every morning.

George, go for it! It is lots of fun. I got to watch the ship pull in to both Ocho Rios and Cozumel this time. In Ocho Rios, because we had a balcony, we were even able to see the local pilots jump off the pilot boat, grab hold of the rope ladder dangling off the side of the Rhapsody and climb onboard.

I love walking into the cabin the first time, right at 1:00pm (the earliest you can get in, usually!!), and see all the fresh brochures on the table waiting to be read, and to see the cabin before its cluttered with bags and clothing and shoes (and people). I just like to step out onto the balcony and look at Miami or wherever I might be, and know I won't see it again for a whole week....

Then, it's off to the Windjammer for a bite, then right to the poolside party....oh yeah, and the muster drill:eek:

Back in August, my wife, youngest son and I went on a cruise to spend a week together before he deploys for Iraq for a year and a half. Just prior to the cruise, our central air went out at home; the same day the water heater gave up the ghost. The radiator in my car had to be replaced two days before the cruise and the front suspension had to be replaced also. On the way to New Orleans, my wife cracked a tooth. While leaving Costa Maya, my prescription glasses broke in half and my spare pair had been left at home.

With all these inconveniences,while standing on the aft deck watching the coast of Mexico disappear into a beautiful starry night, we all agreed that this was one of our best cruises; because no matter what had happened, we were enjoying the opportunity to be together with no distractions. We all knew that the future holds no guarantees and that this time together can never be taken for granted.

Captain Ronn

Back in August, my wife, youngest son and I went on a cruise to spend a week together before he deploys for Iraq for a year and a half. Just prior to the cruise, our central air went out at home; the same day the water heater gave up the ghost. The radiator in my car had to be replaced two days before the cruise and the front suspension had to be replaced also. On the way to New Orleans, my wife cracked a tooth. While leaving Costa Maya, my prescription glasses broke in half and my spare pair had been left at home.

With all these inconveniences,while standing on the aft deck watching the coast of Mexico disappear into a beautiful starry night, we all agreed that this was one of our best cruises; because no matter what had happened, we were enjoying the opportunity to be together with no distractions. We all knew that the future holds no guarantees and that this time together can never be taken for granted.

I thought my family was the only family that started vacations like this-with us, it's always water-related-

each time we have a vacation planned, something water-related goes haywire- a water heater explodes (2003), the washing machine starts a geyser into the air (2005) or the best, we come back from a 2 week vacation to find a busted pipe in our house and we are covered in mold like the rain forest (1999). And, we can't forget the dreaded toilet incident of 2002.

But its all good, we've come to expect it now, it's almost funny!!!

I hope your son is doing well!!

I have few favourite moments

Arriving in the balcony room with a nice cold bottle of bubbly....popping the cork and having a glass sitting on the deck.....ahhhhh

Leaving the port at San Juan in the evening and watching the lights that surround the old fort...ahhhh

The first evening at sea with the balcony door open and listening to the sounds of the waves against the side of the ship throughout the night.

The first cup of coffee in the morning on the balcony of our room....it is always nicer if we are watching the sunrise or if we happen to be on the side of the ship that faces the island we are visiting that day....

Or if the balcony is on the wrong side of the ship...Getting up early before the morning crowd stirs....taking a gander up top and watching as the ship pulls into whichever port it is we are visiting that day.

Stepping off the plane and breathing in the warm humid air....(we live in dry, dry Alberta)

There are so many favorite moments on a cruise.....it is truly unlike any other vacation experience.

Robin

I have few favourite moments

Arriving in the balcony room with a nice cold bottle of bubbly....popping the cork and having a glass sitting on the deck.....ahhhhh

Leaving the port at San Juan in the evening and watching the lights that surround the old fort...ahhhh

The first evening at sea with the balcony door open and listening to the sounds of the waves against the side of the ship throughout the night.

The first cup of coffee in the morning on the balcony of our room....it is always nicer if we are watching the sunrise or if we happen to be on the side of the ship that faces the island we are visiting that day....

Or if the balcony is on the wrong side of the ship...Getting up early before the morning crowd stirs....taking a gander up top and watching as the ship pulls into whichever port it is we are visiting that day.

Stepping off the plane and breathing in the warm humid air....(we live in dry, dry Alberta)

There are so many favorite moments on a cruise.....it is truly unlike any other vacation experience.

Robin

Archived