Favorite Cruise Moment/Feeling?

Just got back off the Rhapsody. (The cruise was great, of course!)

I am sitting here thinking back on last week, and was trying to think of my favorite memory. I think it was the feeling I got my first full day at sea when I was looking out at the water and feeling suspended in time. There was nothing but me and the water and lots of time to enjoy it. What peace!

What about you guys?

My favorite cruise moment of all time, was on my first cruise. Not knowing at all what to expect and sitting down to my first multple course dinner and being pampered by the waiter. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. Especially knowing I didn't have to clean up the mess afterwards. That was just the perfect perk!

There is nothing like heading home from work the day before the cruise knowing that I am now on VACATION!!!!:D :D

I LOVE that moment! And always have to fight the urge to point and laugh at my coworkers as a sprint from the building. That’s a great moment no matter what kind of vacation you’re on, even if it’s just staying home.

Specifically for cruises, I love seeing the ship for the first time. For our next cruise, I’m REALLY looking forward to checking out our first balcony. :D

My special moment was on my first cruise in Nov. 2003

My father was a merchant marine when I was small and was gone ALOT. He would ship out for months at a time to places I had no idea where. When I was really small I can remember sometimes I would forget exactly how he looked (I could always remember how he smelled tho - Old Spice !). Anyway, our first day was an at sea day and I was standing by the railing looking out at the vastness and beauty and it suddenly was soooo clear why he loved it so much. Even though it was his livlihood - he also was happiest at sea. I lost him to cancer in 1992 but I feel very close to him when I am on the ocean.

I love to get up early in the morning when most everyone else is still sleeping (except those that use the jogging track).

I go up and wander the upper deck, put my head phones on and get lost in the view of the vast ocean, except for the occasional cruise ship sighting:) .

It's just a complete feeling of being away from the everyday humdrum...no work, no phones, no email, no one demanding a thing...it's wonderful:D

We also had the best waiter, Murat, and we really looked forward to our dinner each night. There were 6 of us in our party and it felt like he became part of our family that trip:) We have such great memories of those dinners and the fun that went along with it.

I love to get up early in the morning when most everyone else is still sleeping (except those that use the jogging track).

I go up and wander the upper deck, put my head phones on and get lost in the view of the vast ocean, except for the occasional cruise ship sighting:) .

It's just a complete feeling of being away from the everyday humdrum...no work, no phones, no email, no one demanding a thing...it's wonderful:D

We also had the best waiter, Murat, and we really looked forward to our dinner each night. There were 6 of us in our party and it felt like he became part of our family that trip:) We have such great memories of those dinners and the fun that went along with it.

5 minutes ago my husband walked in the door for the last time before we leave. He is taking tomorrow off to get the kids to Grandmas etc. I will not have to say goodbye to him for almost two whole weeks. After 12 years it's still heaven.

Exactly what I was going to say! I remember our first cruise was on Carnival Paradise back in 2000. When we walked onto the ship and into the Centrum area, I was speechless!

We are going on our fourth cruise in february. I am sure I will be mesmerized once again, as I was on all our other cruises.

Getting off the gangplank and into the Centrum for the first time.

I love the very first night when we have got to the pre-cruise hotel, checked-in, and ordered a nice glass of wine at the bar....journey over and the cruise to look forward to the next day!

I love walking around the promenade deck with my headphones on and getting to the really windy bit, that nearly blows you over!

I love listening to the calypso band whilst sitting in the sun, reading a good book.

I love sitting on the balcony, and doing absolutely nothing, just looking at the sea

I just love cruising!!!:)

PS Great thread..it's made me happy just writing this. Roll on the 5th November when we join the Navigator...

I absolutely love the moment when the ship begins to pull away from the pier. I know that the whole cruise is laid out in front of me and a fabulous time is just starting. No one can make me get off the ship now, no phone calls, no problems, just paradise.:D

5 minutes ago my husband walked in the door for the last time before we leave. He is taking tomorrow off to get the kids to Grandmas etc. I will not have to say goodbye to him for almost two whole weeks. After 12 years it's still heaven.

After 35 years, it's priceless!!!

Great thread..it's made me happy just writing this. Roll on the 5th November when we join the Navigator...

Absolutely! I love this thread too.

I love every aspect of the cruise experience, but probably the best is right after boarding ... sitting up on the Lido deck ... we're still docked ... having a nice cuppa java ... a smoke ... taking deep breaths ... saying "relax ... relax ... it's all downhill from here ... " knowing that work is far, far away and something I don't have to worry about now for several weeks. Knowing that in a few hours I will be enjoying the first of many nice dinners (i.e., a dinner where I don't have to go to the store to pick up the makings, nor have to worry preparing or cleaning up from afterwards.) ... then perhaps I'll take in a show ... or do whatever I feel like doing ... my time is my own.

These things may seem stupid to some, but they are very important to me. I lead a very stressful life (as do many on this board). Cruising ... at least to me ... means leaving that stress far behind ... and that's why I love it so.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree there are lots of "moments"- Mine is when we took our 2 older daughters, ages 18 and 21, on a cruise several years ago. We had been planning for a long time, but I don't think they had any idea how wonderful a cruise is- when they got the first glimpse of the inside of the ship as we boarded, their faces were priceless!! Now they are hooked too!!

Archived