Any US users of Mobal international cell phone?

NoWhiners

At $100 per year, yes, I think that would cover a couple of drinks and more :D

And to start off with a $5 usage credit, don't forget about taking advantage of the referral I can send to you

You'll be getting an email in the next few days:). It will be from an email address that has the same numbers as my CC name.

Thanks so much for reporting back. Very helpful including the part about having to wait for the phone to find a network.

Wonder why the texts didn't go through? Good to know though as I'll be sure to let people know if they need to get me either call (or if not an emergency) just email.

Hi Diane

Yes, it was different than when at home, so it took some getting used to. But, it works, so that's what matters. I think in the future, I will turn the phone on sooner, so it is ready to go when I am.

I just want to emphasize--everyone here received my texts, but I only received one of theirs. I am thinking this might work better in some places (Europe) than others (wherever I tried in the Caribbean)! I won't be using it again until next year but will try and text some folks then to see what happens (from Australia and New Zealand).

Maybe when you travel, you can ask people to send you a test text and see what happens? Then you'll know if it will work where you are? That would be a little cheaper if it worked.

Keep those referrals going :)

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Yes, it was different than when at home, so it took some getting used to. But, it works, so that's what matters. I think in the future, I will turn the phone on sooner, so it is ready to go when I am.

That is a good point. Our first use of the phone will be to connect with our transfer driver at Heathrow so I'll turn it on as soon as we land

I just want to emphasize--everyone here received my texts, but I only received one of theirs. I am thinking this might work better in some places (Europe) than others (wherever I tried in the Caribbean)!

I was thinking the same thing

I won't be using it again until next year but will try and text some folks then to see what happens (from Australia and New Zealand).

We've done that sailing and absolutely loved New Zealand. Actually, we flew into NZ about two weeks precruise and toured it by car, returning to Aukland to pick up the ship.

Maybe when you travel, you can ask people to send you a test text and see what happens? Then you'll know if it will work where you are? That would be a little cheaper if it worked.

That's a good idea.

Next new poster to this thread is yours :)

We've done that sailing and absolutely loved New Zealand. Actually, we flew into NZ about two weeks precruise and toured it by car, returning to Aukland to pick up the ship.

Our friends initially wanted to drive all around NZ for a week or so. Then I explained the distances involved, the narrower roads and lower speed limits, and they decided maybe driving wasn't such a good plan! How much were you able to see via car--did you do both islands in NZ?

Next new poster to this thread is yours :)

LOL--this cracked me up!!

Be sure and come back after your trip to the UK and let us know how the phone worked there. The more info I have the better prepared I'll be!

ML

Be sure and come back after your trip to the UK and let us know how the phone worked there. The more info I have the better prepared I'll be!

ML

We are only going to be in the UK to transfer from LHR to Gatwick. Then we'll be in Spain. We fly into Tenerife and sail on two 8 day B2B ... to Lisbon and then Lisbon to Barcelona.

We have a private tour set for Seville so maybe will have to use it there but otherwise I don't expect to use it ... maybe once to check it out :D

Touring NZ by car was interesting. We flew into Christchurch and after a few days there, took the train to Greymouth. We picked up the car there.

We were surprised to find out we had been upgraded to a larger car and were thrilled. That was a mistake! Yes, narrow roads and hairpin turns over the mountains. We wished we had a smaller car.

Also, this is probably the only time my husband and I were ever at each other's throats on vacation ... driving on the wrong side of the road with the steering wheel on the wrong side. "You think you can drive better!?" "Here, you drive!!" with the keys being tossed back and forth between us. :D Took us each about two days of driving before we got the "feel" of it. Fortunately, we didn't run into too much traffic as we drove to Queenstown and then back about eastward to Christchurch. From there we flew to Auckland and picked up another car for a few days in that area.

Would we do it again? In a heartbeat!!!

Touring NZ by car was interesting. We flew into Christchurch and after a few days there, took the train to Greymouth. We picked up the car there.

We were surprised to find out we had been upgraded to a larger car and were thrilled. That was a mistake! Yes, narrow roads and hairpin turns over the mountains. We wished we had a smaller car.

Also, this is probably the only time my husband and I were ever at each other's throats on vacation ... driving on the wrong side of the road with the steering wheel on the wrong side. "You think you can drive better!?" "Here, you drive!!" with the keys being tossed back and forth between us. :D Took us each about two days of driving before we got the "feel" of it. Fortunately, we didn't run into too much traffic as we drove to Queenstown and then back about eastward to Christchurch. From there we flew to Auckland and picked up another car for a few days in that area.

Would we do it again? In a heartbeat!!!

That sounds like a good way to drive around NZ. Our friends wanted to rent a car in Auckland and then drive all the way down to the end of the south island :eek:

I'm not sure i could adapt to wrong side of road/wrong side of car but maybe if I followed others I could do it. Pretty sure we would have the same 'discussion' about driving if we did this!

I think it will be great fun and we will be trying 2 new cruise lines--Celebrity and RCI--so that will add to the adventure.

Post if you have new experiences with your phone.

ML

That sounds like a good way to drive around NZ. Our friends wanted to rent a car in Auckland and then drive all the way down to the end of the south island :eek:

That would be a LOT of driving.

I'm not sure i could adapt to wrong side of road/wrong side of car but maybe if I followed others I could do it. Pretty sure we would have the same 'discussion' about driving if we did this!

On the south island there really wasn't too much traffic to follow. That's what made it a lot easier. Auckland, though, was another story. We were at a big intersection when the light changed and I started forward and then stopped at there was so much going on. The other drivers probably saw my "deer in the headlights" look and they all stopped and waved me through it. LOL

I think it will be great fun and we will be trying 2 new cruise lines--Celebrity and RCI--so that will add to the adventure.

We have sailed both. Now in our dotage (70 :D) we pretty much sail on Princess or Holland America.

Post if you have new experiences with your phone.

Coming up and will post when I return home