Any US users of Mobal international cell phone?

NoWhiners

I guess that the previous note wasn't the final one as I thought it would be.

I decided to try to call the phone using a 1 before the area code and without the 1. Wanted to know if it made a difference. And nothing worked. Couldn't call in and couldn't call out. Not even to the free number.

Called support again. They walked me through manual selection of network to force it to use A T & T instead of T-Mobile. That 'failed to register.' So they did some stuff on their end and said to expect it to take a few minutes for the connection to go through and then give it a few minutes before dialing the free call number.

Anyway, now on AT&T phone appears to work fine. I called free number and I used my US cell phone to call Mobal phone .... just didn't answer it. Of course I'll check it out again in a few days and definitely before we leave.

What I forgot to ask is if I have to set network selection back to automatic once I'm out of the US

I called back and YES, must put Network Setting back to Automatic once I leave the country.

So, all and all some frustration but customer service very nice and very helpful. Had to put me on hold a couple of times but not for very long. Have no complaints about the tech support.

And will put the phone away for a few days unless someone has a question about any of the Settings, etc.

Diane

Wow, sounds like a lot of stop/start but you got it all working, good job :)

I ordered the smartphone lite, just because it wasn't that much more and has a bit more capability, if needed. Should be here by 3/8. I am going to keep your notes, but it sounds like you have to call tech support to get the initial setup done. I'll do this next week when I have time to dedicate to it.

I am going to use your test procedure since it sounds pretty good. A question--what phone did you use to call Mobal tech support?--theirs or your existing cell (or landline--we still have one of those too!) I will post my experience and maybe it will be different for the smartphone version. I don't know why that would be true but you never know.

I will post when i receive my account email, the phone, if i got the $5 credit and where, and what is in the box. Maybe we can pass info along to others who are thinking about this. Hope others use you as a referral too!

ML

PS: that is so funny--you being in Rochester now growing up in the Bronx, sister in Nanuet! Really parallel paths.

Edited by NoWhiners

:D

I ordered the smartphone lite, just because it wasn't that much more and has a bit more capability, if needed. Should be here by 3/8.

One of the reasons I went with just the basic is that I use a basic flip phone now. I don't have a smartphone now so I figure not having one abroad shouldn't make any difference. I have a small Samsung tablet that can slip in my purse and use that if free Wi-Fi is available.

I am going to keep your notes, but it sounds like you have to call tech support to get the initial setup done. I'll do this next week when I have time to dedicate to it.

Technically I should not have had to call tech support for the set up. Everything should have gone automatically. The problem was my phone hooking up with T-Mobile instead of A T & T. Which just confirms how I feel about T-Mobile. We had it years ago and were in Burlington Vermont with NO coverage at all. We switched to Verizon.

I am going to use your test procedure since it sounds pretty good. A question--what phone did you use to call Mobal tech support?--theirs or your existing cell (or landline--we still have one of those too!) I will post my experience and maybe it will be different for the smartphone version. I don't know why that would be true but you never know.

I used my US cell phone to call tech support. BTW, they all have a British accent and sometimes I had to ask them to repeat what they were saying. :D

I will post when i receive my account email, the phone, if i got the $5 credit and where, and what is in the box. Maybe we can pass info along to others who are thinking about this. Hope others use you as a referral too!

lol Me too!

ML

PS: that is so funny--you being in Rochester now growing up in the Bronx, sister in Nanuet! Really parallel paths

Yup

:D

I ordered the smartphone lite, just because it wasn't that much more and has a bit more capability, if needed. Should be here by 3/8.

One of the reasons I went with just the basic is that I use a basic flip phone now. I don't have a smartphone now so I figure not having one abroad shouldn't make any difference. I have a small Samsung tablet that can slip in my purse and use that if free Wi-Fi is available.

Now I understand. I got a tracfone smartphone last year and gave my old flip phone to DH. He struggles with it! So, I am OK with a smartphone and I can imagine times when having access to data on the road could be necessary. My tracfone can be used for free if I find free wifi. The only issue is we will have to carry both but I cna make DH keep one. But he is notoriuosly good (bad?) at losing things :D

I am going to keep your notes, but it sounds like you have to call tech support to get the initial setup done. I'll do this next week when I have time to dedicate to it.

Technically I should not have had to call tech support for the set up. Everything should have gone automatically. The problem was my phone hooking up with T-Mobile instead of A T & T. Which just confirms how I feel about T-Mobile. We had it years ago and were in Burlington Vermont with NO coverage at all. We switched to Verizon.

LOL--I hope mine works right out of the box but at least I am prepared if it doesn't. My tracfone uses Verizon, but we have all 3 available in Albuquerque. Do you think if I get a choice, I should just select AT&T ? I wonder what it will do? Maybe I can try the manual approach?

I used my US cell phone to call tech support. BTW, they all have a British accent and sometimes I had to ask them to repeat what they were saying. :D

ha ha--I thought all Americans thought Brit accents were great and they were completely understandable!! Or maybe it is their word usage, you know 'lift' for 'elevator' and such?

lol Me too!

Progress. Today I got my account email with password. I logged in, changed my password (which worked) and under Call Rates and Discounts, I have a $5 call credit. yay. We are going around the Caribbean at the end of the month, so I hope to test the phone then and it won't cost us. I bet if you login to your account, you will have a $10 credit. I also saw a phone number but I can't tell if it's US or UK, but it looks like US. I googled the area code and it comes back with Springfield MO. Interesting.

No word on it being shipped yet but it does say I have to sign for the package. Did you have to do that (I didn't think so based on your post about finding it by the front door)? Maybe it's different for the different phones? I hope it doesn't come next Wednesday, I'll be out playing golf all day!

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

LOL--I hope mine works right out of the box but at least I am prepared if it doesn't. My tracfone uses Verizon, but we have all 3 available in Albuquerque. Do you think if I get a choice, I should just select AT&T ? I wonder what it will do? Maybe I can try the manual approach?

Based on what I went through, if the automatic hookup is T-Mobile, then yes, I would suggest going manual and hooking up to AT&T. But remember that will be so you can test out the phone here in the US. As soon as you leave the country, you should switch it back to Automatic. I'm going to leave mine as is for now because I will call the free number before I leave just to make sure all is good. Then I'll switch it to Automatic.

ha ha--I thought all Americans thought Brit accents were great and they were completely understandable!! Or maybe it is their word usage, you know 'lift' for 'elevator' and such?

Nope ... just thick accents. We've been watching some British detective stories on Netflix and with some of the accents the dialogue is totally incomprehensible to us. I look at my DH and ask "What did they say?" and he responds with "Don't have a clue." :D

Progress. Today I got my account email with password. I logged in, changed my password (which worked) and under Call Rates and Discounts, I have a $5 call credit. yay. We are going around the Caribbean at the end of the month, so I hope to test the phone then and it won't cost us. I bet if you login to your account, you will have a $10 credit. I also saw a phone number but I can't tell if it's US or UK, but it looks like US. I googled the area code and it comes back with Springfield MO. Interesting.

I don't show a credit. I'll give it a couple of days and then check again. Interesting that your phone number is out of MO. Mine is Ventura, CA.

No word on it being shipped yet but it does say I have to sign for the package. Did you have to do that (I didn't think so based on your post about finding it by the front door)? Maybe it's different for the different phones? I hope it doesn't come next Wednesday, I'll be out playing golf all day!

I did have to sign for it. And BTW it came sooner than expected. So maybe it will come sooner for you too and you won't be out golfing. :)

Based on what I went through, if the automatic hookup is T-Mobile, then yes, I would suggest going manual and hooking up to AT&T. But remember that will be so you can test out the phone here in the US. As soon as you leave the country, you should switch it back to Automatic. I'm going to leave mine as is for now because I will call the free number before I leave just to make sure all is good. Then I'll switch it to Automatic.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it if it finds T-Mobile.

Nope ... just thick accents. We've been watching some British detective stories on Netflix and with some of the accents the dialogue is totally incomprehensible to us. I look at my DH and ask "What did they say?" and he responds with "Don't have a clue." :D

OMG--this is so true. We noticed it a lot during Broadchurch!!

I don't show a credit. I'll give it a couple of days and then check again. Interesting that your phone number is out of MO. Mine is Ventura, CA.

On no, that seems odd. I hope it shows up. Otherwise call them and demand your credit. They must know since I got mine?

I did have to sign for it. And BTW it came sooner than expected. So maybe it will come sooner for you too and you won't be out golfing. :)

Well, it says it will be here by 3/8 but hasn't shipped yet. That will probably be OK, but Tuesday 3/8 I have a golf lesson in the am. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Stay tuned

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

On no, that seems odd. I hope it shows up. Otherwise call them and demand your credit. They must know since I got mine?

I sent an email and got an auto response that I should hear within two business days. I'll call if I don't hear anything by Tuesday.

Latest update--today I got an email saying my phone has been shipped (from the UK) and will be delivered on Tuesday Mar 8 by 10:30. They ship FedEx, indirect signature required, which as far as I can tell means someone needs to provide a signature--a neighbor, landlord, etc. Since I may be gone for my golf lesson, I called FedEx and they said to just leave a signed note on the door and they would leave the package. I will try this and post what happens.

Diane--I hope your credit comes through!

Have a nice weekend everyone and I will post next Tuesday, unless something else happens.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

This morning while the dog and I were sitting together having our morning coffee and breakfast, the doorbell rang, at 8:30. This is very unusual, so I answered it and guess what—it was the FedEx man with my phone!! I did have to sign for it. I am going to describe what I did to get the phone setup and working.

So the executive summary is I inserted the battery, charged the phone and followed the directions and the phone worked fine. Never had to call customer service—yet!

Recall, I ordered the basic smartphone, at this time they are offering a Blu Advance 4.0L, which I never heard of. It was designed in Miami and assembled in China. It works in 150 countries, including Japan and Korea, which I don’t think the flip phone does. The screen is about 4” x 2”, the actual phone a little larger, maybe 5” x 2 ½ x 3/8”. The screen is WVGA and seems quite bright, sharp and clear. It has room for a 64GB microSD card and does GSM/3G/4G HSPA+. It has a 3.2 MP front facing camera and is running Android v4.4 or Kit Kat.

What came in the box:

The phone, battery, SIM card already installed, charger, data cable with mini-USB connector, a Quick Start Guide, a User Guide, headphones, and a screen protector. At this time, they are still giving the free international adapter kit that Diane described. The screen protector is a free item too right now. You do get 2 numbers—a US number for friends/family here and an international one to use while traveling. They are on the first page of the User Guide along with some important numbers for your SIM—serial number, PIN and another number.

I unpacked the phone, installed the battery and started charging it so I could set it up. When I first plugged it in it was at 80% charged and it took less than an hour to fully charge. While it was charging I read thru the Quick Start and User Guide. As soon as it was done, I turned it on and started the setup. It first asks what language, mine defaulted to English. Then it asks if you want to connect to wifi. I did and it easily took the password and connected. Next it asks if you have a Google account I do but I skipped this step. Then it asks if you want to leave Google services on—I turned them all off. The last step is to name your phone but you don’t have to.

Once that was done, it suggested that I check for software updates. So I did. At this point it gave me the chance to only download updates via wifi and also asked if I wanted it to tell me when wifi was available, even if wifi wasn’t on. I said no for now.

Then I decided to setup my email. I have an old Hotmail account thru Microsoft and when I set up my tracphone I had to do a lot to set it up. On this phone, you could select a Gmail icon, or some other generic ones. Some gave the choice of POP3 or IMAP. I thought I remembered that Hotmail (which is now called Outlook) would work as either POP3 or IMAP, so I picked IMAP and entered my password. No luck. Then I tried to go back to POP3 but that didn’t work either. So, I decided to bite the bulet and click on a big red M for gmail (there were several, not sure why, maybe different configurations?).

Then a magical thing happened—the gmail page said I could setup all my accounts from that page. So I entered my email address and password, and after about a minute, I started loading emails!! Amazing, never would have suspected this would happen but it’s about time. Now, I may have cost myself some data here, since I’m not sure it read my email on wifi but I do have that $5 credit :D! Anyway, there could be times we need email so I am happy it is set up and working (although if I can find wifi, my tracfone will do this). By the way, to do this, you need to follow a simple procedure that is well-described in the User Guide (you have to set up an access point, very easy). If anyone wants to know more, just post questions.

Then I was finally ready to try it out. They do give you a test number to call, as Diane said. I tried this and the 3rd time it worked. My phone connected via T-Mobile but still worked. I never even saw AT&T listed but I left mine on Automatic. I was going to try Manual connection (like Diane did) but it gave a faintly threatening message when I selected this, so I decided to try Automatic and see what would happen. I figured I could always go back and try Manual (or call Customer Service). After that worked, I got really bold and called my tracfone from the Mobal phone. Once my tracfone rang, I hung up—but it worked.

One last thing--the screen protector. I have installed these many times but this one was a mess. I spent more time trying to get this installed than I did on everything else. I am disappointed with myself for this but the instructions were hard to follow. I will buy a new screen saver when I go buy a case. It will cost me $1, so not a big deal.

We are taking the phone to the Caribbean with us in 2 weeks and I think we will try and make a test call to some friends here, just to see if we can. I’ll try and remember to post when we get back.

Thanks to Diane and everyone who posted here. I think this phone will be perfect for us!

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

NoWhiners

SO glad things worked out for you with the new phone, including being delivered a day early :)

Looking forward to hearing about your usage when you return from your cruise.

Bon Voyage!

Diane

Thanks Diane--you were a big help!

ML

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I know some of you will have your jaws on the ground with this question....

DH and I get by with no real cell phone in the US. We share a "burner" that we load $100 of prepaid minutes on once a year...and then carry over a $95 credit for the next year. It's a safety phone, nothing more.

Can this phone double as our safety phone in the US? Actually, it would probably get more use one trips.:).

From what I see on the website we can buy the 4G and with what we spend on minutes here and abroad, we'd come out ahead. Am I missing something? Actually, with a personal schedule change between the two of us, I don't think we've even used 2 minutes on the safety phone this year....at a cost of $50 a minute, if we never use the rollover.

We share a "burner" that we load $100 of prepaid minutes on once a year...and then carry over a $95 credit for the next year. It's a safety phone, nothing more.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you have to load $100 every year even though you are carrying over $95? So the next year you have $195???

Can this phone double as our safety phone in the US? Actually, it would probably get more use one trips.:).

Yes, you can use it to call a US phone number. The cost (if I read the info on the web site correctly) is $.99 per minute.

From what I see on the website we can buy the 4G and with what we spend on minutes here and abroad, we'd come out ahead. Am I missing something?

Are you looking at buying a phone or the SIM card. I'm not clear on what you are looking at

Actually, with a personal schedule change between the two of us, I don't think we've even used 2 minutes on the safety phone this year....at a cost of $50 a minute, if we never use the rollover.

So you do have to spend $100 per year? If that's the case, then, yes, I would guess one of these phones could save you money, considering how little you would use it. Especially with no contract, no monthly fees, etc.

And, BTW, if you do think you would buy one ... if you'd be so kind as to let me "refer" you by giving me your email address ... you'll get a $5 usage credit and I'll get a $10 usage credit.

OK. I know some of you will have your jaws on the ground with this question....

DH and I get by with no real cell phone in the US. We share a "burner" that we load $100 of prepaid minutes on once a year...and then carry over a $95 credit for the next year. It's a safety phone, nothing more.

I only got a cell phone about a year ago, so i completely get this!!

Yes. it is a tad expensive per minute but for the use you are describing it is quite cost effective.

From what I see on the website we can buy the 4G and with what we spend on minutes here and abroad, we'd come out ahead. Am I missing something? Actually, with a personal schedule change between the two of us, I don't think we've even used 2 minutes on the safety phone this year....at a cost of $50 a minute, if we never use the rollover.

Agree with Diane--are you talking SIM card or phone? I don't think they offer true 4G phones yet. And you can buy just the SIM card but speed will depend on your phone capability. It sounds like you might do better to just buy their phone, not with the unlimited SIM card, and pay for minutes as you go. That's what we do (and I am about to post my experience in another post).

Good luck

ML

Hi All

I said I would come back and post our experience using this phone during our recent Caribbean cruise, so here I am!

Executive summary--it did the job and I am quite happy with it. Texting wasn't as clean as I hoped but it sort of worked.

We took the phone with us on a 10 day cruise with stops in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Roatan (Honduras), Belize, and Mexico. I kept forgetting to turn it on, but finally did in Roatan and Cozumel. The phone worked fine in both places, but it does take several minutes for it to find and connect to a network, so don't worry if it doesn't happen right away. You will know when it is connected because you will get a "welcome" message telling you the rates for that country. I placed a call to our house/dog-sitter from Mahogany Bay in Roatan, because I wasn't getting her texts (see below for more on this). In Honduras, it works like some old phones--you dial the number, hang up, and wait for a call back. it's a little weird if you're used to the way cell phones work now, but it works fine. She didn't answer when I called, so I left a short message for her. She then called me back a few minutes later and we actually spoke for a bit more than a minute. When I got home, I checked my charges and they were for 2 calls--1 for one minute and 1 for 2 minutes. They do charge by whole minutes, so if you talk for 40 seconds, you're charged for a minute and if you talk for 65 seconds, you're charged for 2 minutes. No big deal, but worth noting.

We had agreed before we left that the house-sitter would send a text every few days; she did this but I never received any texts. I sent 3 texts--2 to her and 1 to a friend--and they were all received. Mobal advises that texts may not always work, so that appears to be true. it was good that they received mine but I never got hers, which is why I decided to call and she confirmed she got mine.

I checked my Mobal account earlier today and I was charged 80 cents for each sent text, as advertised. I had a $5 credit (thanks again Diane!), so I ended up paying $3.25 for all calls and texts.

I am pretty happy with this phone and it will do what I need without paying monthly fees, although I did have to buy the phone. But it is still the most cost effective way for us.

Also, because I have the smartphone version, I can check email where there is free wifi for no charges, which is nice. I only tried to connect once, and I forgot that with a new network, I need to actually connect to the network, then check email, so it didn't work :o (I was used to using it at home via our wifi, which it connects to automatically). Plus, I didn't want to load 5 days worth of emails!!

That's all I can think of, any questions just post. The big takeaway is--wait a few minutes after you turn the phone on. It will find a network and you will know when you get the welcome message.

Good luck

ML

We share a "burner" that we load $100 of prepaid minutes on once a year...and then carry over a $95 credit for the next year. It's a safety phone, nothing more.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you have to load $100 every year even though you are carrying over $95? So the next year you have $195???

Yes, you can use it to call a US phone number. The cost (if I read the info on the web site correctly) is $.99 per minute.

From what I see on the website we can buy the 4G and with what we spend on minutes here and abroad, we'd come out ahead. Am I missing something?

Are you looking at buying a phone or the SIM card. I'm not clear on what you are looking at

Actually, with a personal schedule change between the two of us, I don't think we've even used 2 minutes on the safety phone this year....at a cost of $50 a minute, if we never use the rollover.

So you do have to spend $100 per year? If that's the case, then, yes, I would guess one of these phones could save you money, considering how little you would use it. Especially with no contract, no monthly fees, etc.

And, BTW, if you do think you would buy one ... if you'd be so kind as to let me "refer" you by giving me your email address ... you'll get a $5 usage credit and I'll get a $10 usage credit.

"Burner" is the term they used for the cheap throw away phone in the best TV series ever made...The Wire:D

We buy $100 worth of minutes...but most roll and since we don't use them the average cost per minute is quite high. It's just insurance.

I guess I meant the $79 phone when I said 4G( tech is not my thing) so yes we would buy a phone. We might use it a bit more, but I still think our two year average after purchase will still come in way under the $100 we spend. One of two potential trips I'm considering in 2017 includes Korea...which needs the better phone. The plug adapter throw in is kind of nice too...since future plans include some offbeat countries. Is your email in your links?

activating Verizon International for the length of my trip seems MUCH easier ....

just my opinion .....

I'm sure it IS much easier but it also depends on the kind of phone that you have. I still use the old style flip phone so this is not an option for me.

But out of curiosity, I did just now take a look at the Verizon plans.

I will be changing airports in London and expect our driver to contact us by phone. According to Verizon's chart, the cost would be $1.79 (vs.$.99 with Mobal) plus a $10 daily service fee. Our final destination is Spain. Ditto on the charges. So it at those rates, and if I have to use the phone in Spain, it won't take long for my purchase of the basic Mobal phone to be the right move for me.

I guess I meant the $79 phone when I said 4G( tech is not my thing) so yes we would buy a phone. We might use it a bit more, but I still think our two year average after purchase will still come in way under the $100 we spend. One of two potential trips I'm considering in 2017 includes Korea...which needs the better phone. The plug adapter throw in is kind of nice too...since future plans include some offbeat countries.

Sounds like you just might be heading in the right direction to buy one of these phones

Is your email in your links?

My email address is my user name @ gmail. If you'd prefer to send me your email address privately, that is fine. I'll send you a referral and you just have to click the link before buying your phone. All credits showed up on our accounts shortly after the purchase.

THANKS!

Hi All

I said I would come back and post our experience using this phone during our recent Caribbean cruise, so here I am!

Executive summary--it did the job and I am quite happy with it. Texting wasn't as clean as I hoped but it sort of worked.

We took the phone with us on a 10 day cruise with stops in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Roatan (Honduras), Belize, and Mexico. I kept forgetting to turn it on, but finally did in Roatan and Cozumel. The phone worked fine in both places, but it does take several minutes for it to find and connect to a network, so don't worry if it doesn't happen right away. You will know when it is connected because you will get a "welcome" message telling you the rates for that country. I placed a call to our house/dog-sitter from Mahogany Bay in Roatan, because I wasn't getting her texts (see below for more on this). In Honduras, it works like some old phones--you dial the number, hang up, and wait for a call back. it's a little weird if you're used to the way cell phones work now, but it works fine. She didn't answer when I called, so I left a short message for her. She then called me back a few minutes later and we actually spoke for a bit more than a minute. When I got home, I checked my charges and they were for 2 calls--1 for one minute and 1 for 2 minutes. They do charge by whole minutes, so if you talk for 40 seconds, you're charged for a minute and if you talk for 65 seconds, you're charged for 2 minutes. No big deal, but worth noting.

We had agreed before we left that the house-sitter would send a text every few days; she did this but I never received any texts. I sent 3 texts--2 to her and 1 to a friend--and they were all received. Mobal advises that texts may not always work, so that appears to be true. it was good that they received mine but I never got hers, which is why I decided to call and she confirmed she got mine.

I checked my Mobal account earlier today and I was charged 80 cents for each sent text, as advertised. I had a $5 credit (thanks again Diane!), so I ended up paying $3.25 for all calls and texts.

I am pretty happy with this phone and it will do what I need without paying monthly fees, although I did have to buy the phone. But it is still the most cost effective way for us.

Also, because I have the smartphone version, I can check email where there is free wifi for no charges, which is nice. I only tried to connect once, and I forgot that with a new network, I need to actually connect to the network, then check email, so it didn't work :o (I was used to using it at home via our wifi, which it connects to automatically). Plus, I didn't want to load 5 days worth of emails!!

That's all I can think of, any questions just post. The big takeaway is--wait a few minutes after you turn the phone on. It will find a network and you will know when you get the welcome message.

Good luck

ML

Thanks so much for reporting back. Very helpful including the part about having to wait for the phone to find a network.

Wonder why the texts didn't go through? Good to know though as I'll be sure to let people know if they need to get me either call (or if not an emergency) just email.

I'm sure it IS much easier but it also depends on the kind of phone that you have. I still use the old style flip phone so this is not an option for me.

But out of curiosity, I did just now take a look at the Verizon plans.

I will be changing airports in London and expect our driver to contact us by phone. According to Verizon's chart, the cost would be $1.79 (vs.$.99 with Mobal) plus a $10 daily service fee. Our final destination is Spain. Ditto on the charges. So it at those rates, and if I have to use the phone in Spain, it won't take long for my purchase of the basic Mobal phone to be the right move for me.

LOL...and for DH and myself who spend 5 minutes total on a cell phone here in the U.S. per year, this phone would actually be a small savings year one, even with phone purchase. Year two and after...the savings will buy a couple days of drinks on a ship. :D

Edited by buggins0402

Year two and after...the savings will buy a couple days of drinks on a ship. :D

At $100 per year, yes, I think that would cover a couple of drinks and more :D

And to start off with a $5 usage credit, don't forget about taking advantage of the referral I can send to you