African Ports

johncb7

Would anyone who has visited the following ports be good enough to give me any advice on their time there. Whilst we will probably take one of the ship's excursions for part of the stay we also like to wander ashore ourselves. Is there anything to see near where the ship docks, did you feel safe wandering as a couple?

Dakar; Banjul;Abidjian; Takoradi; Lomo; Sao Tome; Walvis Bay.

Thank you.

We have done a lot of cruising in Africa but have only visited two of the ports you mentioned.

We have visited Dakar one time in 2014 and Wallis Bay twice in 2007 and in 2014.

In Dakar I would take an excursion.We went over to Goree Island as part of our tour. We spent a few hours there. I would not be big on walking around on your own.

Some of our friends walked from the pier to the town and one of them almost got run down by a vehicle. It's not an easy walk in terms of lack of sidewalks, etc.

We have been to Walvis Bay two times and we did do that on our own. Just have a map so you can navigate yourself over to the town. We enjoyed waling over to the Lagoon of Wallis Bay where we enjoyed the beauty of pelicans and flamingos and other birds. We then continued for quite awhile and passed by several large homes with very nice landscaping. The homes were all immaculate.

We then made our way into town. We just did simple things such as walking to a market and also visiting a local grocery store.

We were there in late February and the weather was terrific.

Sorry I can't help with the other places.

We were sailing a different cruise line.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010