NCL Regular Trying Celebrity

TardisDance

Hi, last night I decided to take the plunge and booked the 4/2/16 Silhouette to take advantage of the Go Better offer with 2 offer picks. I normally cruise on NCL, so Celebrity is totally new to me. I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1) Initially, I choose the Classic Beverage package and Prepaid Gratuities. However, when I called the morning to confirm my promos, the rep said I would be better off with the $150 OBC pp, because I can use my OBC to pay the gratuity, so I switched. I picked Select Dining, and now seeing gratuity has to be prepaid. Is there any way around this? The rep said I can switch my choices if I can my mind. Is she correct. I'm guessing I can as long as it's before final payment.

2) I booked forward port side veranda on deck 7 sunrise. I was worried about the lower veranda categories, because they mention an obstructed view. Are there any noise issues on deck 7?

3) Can I get mojitos and painkillers on the classic package? I understand that I can upgrade to the premium package. Is it still an $11 a day difference whether upgrading prior to the cruise or onboard? Does everyone in the cabin have to upgrade?

4) How crowded is the ship in early April? I think I'm past the Spring breakers time period, and weather looks like it should be good still.

It used to be the case that gratuities had to be pre-paid for Select Dining; Celebrity has changed that. So you will be able to use the OBC for the gratuities.

I don't know of any noise issues on deck 7.

Everyone in the cabin does not have to upgrade. Don't know about those specific drinks. You can upgrade at any point up until like three days before the end of the cruise. So you might just see how you do and see if you need to upgrade.

Regarding crowding, I don't spend time around the pool so I can't speak to that, but Celebrity has the Solarium which is an adults only pool area so you can always retreat there. There are loungers on the pool deck and the deck above and also on deck 16 so you should be OK.

It used to be the case that gratuities had to be pre-paid for Select Dining; Celebrity has changed that. So you will be able to use the OBC for the gratuities.

Is this new? The only reason I found out is because my invoice had a note about it. The website seems to agree and states the same about having to prepay. Can you link an article that states this?

Regarding prepaid gratuities - we are booked on a Pacific Costal Cruise in September and chose the on board credit over prepaid gratuities. We always choose Select dining however when we booked the cruise last fall we chose the early seating dining so that we could pay our gratuities once on board. Over the last few month there has been quite a discussion on eliminating prepaid gratuities for Select dining. As a result, I called Celebrity and asked if I could switch to Select dining for our upcoming cruies. The rep said that prepaid gratuities are no longer charged and changed our reservation to Select. Within moments we received an email with our revised dining schedule and no added cost. If you have been charged these gratuities you should contact Celebrity or your travel agent and have them removed.

I found the thread post regarding this. There's a note that I have to prepay and that the amount is added to final payment - which of course there isn't an actual line item for. Very confusing!

It must be outdated language that still hasn't been removed from their template.

This is the thread I found -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2304665

3) Can I get mojitos and painkillers on the classic package? I understand that I can upgrade to the premium package. Is it still an $11 a day difference whether upgrading prior to the cruise or onboard? Does everyone in the cabin have to upgrade?

These drinks (and most other standard cocktails) are included in the Classic package as long as you order them with liquor brands that fall under the package. For rum, the Classic package includes Bacardi, Bacardi 8, and Myers's. If you prefer Mount Gay or Pyrat you'd need the Premium package. If you don't specify you'll get well rum which is usually Ron Roberto or something else in a plastic bottle.

These drinks (and most other standard cocktails) are included in the Classic package as long as you order them with liquor brands that fall under the package. For rum, the Classic package includes Bacardi, Bacardi 8, and Myers's. If you prefer Mount Gay or Pyrat you'd need the Premium package. If you don't specify you'll get well rum which is usually Ron Roberto or something else in a plastic bottle.

Thanks! I don't mind Bacardi, but I do like Mount Gay rum, so it's definitely something I'll need to consider. I'm also a bit intrigued by the craft beers on the premium package. Good thing I have a while to decide :)

Also unlike NCL you can use your Classic drink package to get specialty drinks at the coffee shop. That is my last stop of the night for a hot chocolate with Baileys, Kahlua, and Frangelico.

Also unlike NCL you can use your Classic drink package to get specialty drinks at the coffee shop. That is my last stop of the night for a hot chocolate with Baileys, Kahlua, and Frangelico.

OMG, that sounds delicious! I had Baileys and coffee each night on our recent cruise. I'm going to try your drink next time.

Thanks! I don't mind Bacardi, but I do like Mount Gay rum, so it's definitely something I'll need to consider. I'm also a bit intrigued by the craft beers on the premium package. Good thing I have a while to decide :)

Hi Christine! Hope that you guys enjoy Celebrity as much as we do. Will patiently await your review when you get back. We have always upgraded from the classic to the premium package. I really enjoy the coffees and not having to think about what I am drinking. Like others said, you can always upgrade on board. Not sure your other half would need the upgrade.

Hi Christine! Hope that you guys enjoy Celebrity as much as we do. Will patiently await your review when you get back. We have always upgraded from the classic to the premium package. I really enjoy the coffees and not having to think about what I am drinking. Like others said' date=' you can always upgrade on board. Not sure your other half would need the upgrade.[/quote']

Haha yeah, I saw all the light beers on the list and he agreed that he probably doesn't need to upgrade!

We may still do something out of San Juan. We seem to be on this 2 cruises a year trend lately :D