Sitka on our own or with a tour?

KathiB

We will be in port in Sitka on Wed. June 29 from 7:00 - 3:30. We are doing very pricey tours in Juneau and Ketchikan so I am wondering about doing some things in Sitka on our own. We would possibly go to the Raptor Center and the National Park for the Totem poles. We are interested in the history, both indigenous and Russian. Does any one know of a good private guide we could book? Or could we do this on our own, or go with a ship's excursion? I realize there are some boat tours, and other excursions but many are pretty expensive. Any suggestions are welcome regarding other activities I may not have mentioned.

We had no trouble filling our day on foot by ourselves. There's good info inside the archbishops house and the museum covering lots of the Russian/Tlingit etc stuff, you can do a bit of pre-reading in advance or take a guidebook that covers Sitka if you want to ensure you're familiar with the big picture.

It's small enough not to get lost (do wander some back streets, there are many interesting buildings, little churches and the like) but plenty big enough to fill your entire day, even if the times you list are 'get off by' and 'be back on board by' rather than theoretical docking and sailing times.

the town web site has lots of info on tours, maps, shuttles, actvities etc. Send for their visitor guide ! http://www.sitka.org/

There is a shuttle and the city bus. Look at the bottom of this FAQ page for information. If I remember correctly the shuttle to Fortress of the Bears was only $5.

http://www.sitka.org/plan/questions-faqs/

Sitka is my favorite SE Alaska community. I've been there both as a port call, on pleasure and also on business. I've also been in Sitka on Alaska Day (October 18th) for the festivities, and this small community can really throw a party which lasts for several days!

If folks are reasonably ambulatory Sitka is very walkable. It is an easy walk from the Harrigan Centennial Hall in downtown Sitka (which also houses a museum operated by the Sitka Historical Society) along the shoreline to the Sheldon Jackson Museum (which is an arm of the state museum) and then onto the Sitka National Historical Park (which the local residents usually call totem pole park). There is an excellent orientation in the SNHP headquarters, but the totems themselves are spectacular in their display. The park is also the site of the 1804 battle between the Tlingit people and the Russians. From the SNHP we have had no problems walking to the Alaska Raptor Center, but some people who have ambulatory problems could find the uphill walk an issue.

The Russian Bishops House (Ivan Veniaminov) is operated by the National Park Service and a tour to the upstairs is well worth a visit. It is also right downtown. The St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral has priceless icons but may or may not be open to tourists the day of your port call. I've found the New Archangel Dancers rather touristy, but it has been several years since we've seen them and the current troupe may be better than what I've seen.

Sitka itself is rather "arty" with some interesting galleries. The community also has a little different look than many SE communities as Charles Georgeson, a USDA agent sent to Alaska to investigate the potential for agriculture, spent some time there and planted a number of botanical species not native to Alaska. Some of those old maples and so forth are just gorgeous.

A dock was built north of the downtown area several years ago. I was on a cruise which docked there, and that specific cruise line provided no additional fee shuttles to downtown.

If anyone in your group has the Golden Age Pass from the Park Service, bring it to get 4 people into the Bishop's house and totem pole park for free. It is also good for Mendenhall glacier and the Southwest Discovery Center in Ketchikan.

Thanks everyone. It seems like this will be easy to d on our own...how about this: Once off the ship take a taxi to The Raptor Center, then walk down hill to the National Park to see the totem poles, then walk through town to visit Sheldon Jackson Museum, St. Michael's Cathedral, and The Russian Bishops House. We have about 8 hours in port so I suppose we could add the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest at the start of the day...is that too much?

Thanks everyone. It seems like this will be easy to d on our own...how about this: Once off the ship take a taxi to The Raptor Center, then walk down hill to the National Park to see the totem poles, then walk through town to visit Sheldon Jackson Museum, St. Michael's Cathedral, and The Russian Bishops House. We have about 8 hours in port so I suppose we could add the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest at the start of the day...is that too much?

Be sure to make your first stop Baranof Hill (it was across the street from the tender dock when we went). It is where the first US flag was raised over Alaska when purchased from the Russians.

The little bus that ran was only like $10 and made 7 stops. We rode it to the Raptor Center, then walked back through the forest to the National Park where we again picked up the little bus back to town.

Sitka was our favorite port, seemed more quaint and authentic than the more visited ports with their Diamonds Internationals. Very easy to do on your own.

As others have said Sitka is very easy to explore on your own. The idea of taking a taxi up to the Raptor center then walking back would make things easier but its really not that far a walk. It's been a number of years since I've visited but I always liked the fact that it was unspoiled compared to the other Alaska ports in that the big chain jewelry stores etc had not arrived yet and it still was filled with smaller Mom& Pop stores. That is sadly probably changed by now.

A stop at the Fortress of the Bears would be a good thing to see the rescued brown and black bears:

P7090172.jpg

Thank you all. I have been reading about the Fortress of the Bears. May have to add that! If we do a small boat tour early, say 8:30 - 11:00, would we still have time for some of these activities in town? Our ship sails at 3:30. Thanks.

Thank you all. I have been reading about the Fortress of the Bears. May have to add that! If we do a small boat tour early, say 8:30 - 11:00, would we still have time for some of these activities in town? Our ship sails at 3:30. Thanks.

Holland America has a Sitka excursion, "Otters, Raptors, and Bears" that would meet your needs. On the "otters" portion, I saw both humpback and gray whales, sea lions, sitka deer, otters, and eagles. The next two phases "Raptors and Bears" followed the boat tour.

Re: Bears, the stories of rescuing cubs without mothers was touching as the alternative was euthanasia for the little ones per Alaska law.

Hey I'm going to jump on this thread a little....in my 2017 cruise search, I have come across one itinerary that is early and mid-May only, round trip from Vancouver, on the Emerald Princess that does Glacier Bay but seems to have swapped the usual Skagway stop for Sitka. If we do go in May, this itinerary really appeals to me, particularly if we do not have the time and/or money for a land tour. I've been to Skagway, and quite honestly a part of me can't fathom the 13 hours that every ship seems to be staying there. Please no one crucify me for saying so, but I did enjoy White Pass when I went, but I'm not sure I want to do it again. I also found the town itself to be small and overly touristy. At least Juneau and Ketchikan are not so tiny. Also, DH specializes in Russian (best way I know how to phrase that), and I think he would enjoy the historical side of Sitka. Also, a couple people mentioned Sitka as their favorite port, and it's noted as an extremely scenic port. Am I being selfish if I opt for the Sitka swap as the only member of my four person group who has been to Skagway? Like I said, while I did enjoy my trip there, I'm the least excited about revisiting that port. And I'm no cruise scheduling expert but I just don't get why Skagway gets the most hours, while Ketchikan gets the least.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Alaska 3x, including two longer stays on land and by far the highlight for me was the Sea Otter sail out of Sitka. I agree entirely with the prior poster who can't understand why more ships go to Skagway instead of Sitka, but I suspect it's because they don't have a choice. I'm taking my daughter and in laws for the first time this year and our #1 must have was a stop in Sitka. We'll be doing the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest and then I'm trying to decide if we want to do national park or Fortress of the Bears. This will be our first trip with a toddler so I don't want to commit to any excursions that are too long.

We are very excited to see Sitka now. I have booked a private boat excursion for the early morning to see the sea otters, etc. There will only be 6 on board. We will have time after that to go on our own to the National Park, the Raptor Center, the museums, and maybe Fortress of the Bear. Seems like most places are close to each other and accessible by walking, taxi, or the shuttle bus that makes a loop in the area.

This sounds like a good plan, though you will need to alter your visitation order after the raptor center. You should go from there to the National Park, then the Sheldon Jackson Museum then Bishop's house, and finally the Cathedral. You should still have time to enjoy some of the shops and a lunch ashore.

I think that adding the Sea Otter Quest in will take too much time because while it is only a 3 hour tour you need to allow 4 hours from start to finish. (This tour must be booked through your ship.)

BTW the Fortress of the Bear is way out of the way and really not worth the trip down there to see some bears that are kept in old water purification (they might have been for waste water) tanks.

I'm afraid if you try the sea otters you will run out of time. Because it is not likely to start before 8:00 a.m. and your last tender is probably at 3:00 p.m.

BTW the Fortress of the Bear is way out of the way and really not worth the trip down there to see some bears that are kept in old water purification (they might have been for waste water) tanks.

I HAVE to jump all over this comment!! We LOVED Fortress of the Bears and all they are doing to save these orphaned bears. It is SO worth visiting them and hope others come to help support this awesome group. You will NOT be disappointed.

fortressofthebear dot org Cheers from San Diego;)

zqvol, we are doing a private boat tour at 7:30 to see the sea otters, whales, and puffins. This is not a ship's excursion. There will be only 6 on board and he has assured us we will be back to the dock by 10:30 or 11:00. So we will take a taxi to the Raptor center and go from there. We will have to decide that day if we can fit in a detour to see the Fortress of the Bear. It's great that we have so many interesting things to see in close proximity as our ships sails at 3:30. Really looking forward to it.

Edited by KathiB