Poor Member Ratings for Anthem/Quantum

Good points.

I'd say one additional issue from the above on Chinese cruises is, for Westerners that the buffet is not the same and I found it a place to be avoided.

The greatest issue was the much limited range of food choices, given half the range is Asian food (but not 'Western' Asian). This is more than fair enough of course, but if you're thinking of traditional food choices they're just not there.

Adding to that is that the food is sourced locally and not of the same standard/type as elsewhere. What it boiled down to was about a quarter of the food stuffs that you might traditionally enjoy, so is quite limited.

There were some other service and passenger issues there that may also affect ratings by traditional Western cruisers.

This was explained to us on one of our Royal cruises by the Future Cruise Rep (think it was Indy :confused:), and she stated that if you required more of the western food choices, then perhaps X would be better suited :). Thought at the time she was giving good advice - better to be forewarned ;).

The reviews I read were more upset over the behavior of the Chinese on board, both guests and crew. They said the crew looked down on non-Chinese passengers. Several people commented on the overall behavior of the Chinese cruisers, particularly rude and unhygienic behavior. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but one reviewer claimed that a Chinese boy peed into a plastic bag in the dining room.

As already stated, I have no personal knowledge as to whether any of this is true. I am merely restating what others have claimed.

The reviews I read were more upset over the behavior of the Chinese on board, both guests and crew. They said the crew looked down on non-Chinese passengers. Several people commented on the overall behavior of the Chinese cruisers, particularly rude and unhygienic behavior. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but one reviewer claimed that a Chinese boy peed into a plastic bag in the dining room.

As already stated, I have no personal knowledge as to whether any of this is true. I am merely restating what others have claimed.

Not surprising about the guests, as "unhygienic" certainly comes to mind from past trips to Asia. Acceptable behaviors are different. The crew, however, would be an issue for me-- one that shouldn't be tolerated by Royal Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are GREEDY, GREEDY, GREEDY. :D

Tampa

Port Canaveral

Ft. Lauderdale

Miami

Jacksonville

FIVE PORTS...omg....and how many ships? I wonder if anyone knows that fact.

You give us the Harmony after you pay for the Verazano Bridge being raised and you can have the Anthem (AFTER my cruise in October, of course). hahahah:):):)

Lol! I guess I am greedy! I would trade one Oasis class ship for a Quantum class ship! As much as I want to try the Harmony, I could settle for the Allure a second time or the Oasis, but it would be real challenge! #thestruggleisreal :D

When I went to China, I ate "non-western Asian" food. Japan, too. In China, I used eastern toilets. I don't expect them to cater to my "western ways". If I didn't want to experience China, I wouldn't have gone.

I remember at one restaurant, an American tourist was screaming at the waitstaff because they didn't have ketchup and that was so outrageous to her!! It's been around 18 years and that's always stuck with me and certainly made me understand through future travels why foreigners often despise Americans.

China is different-- people that don't want different should cruise from the US.

Thanks, I wondered how long that would take.

Actually, I did eat the local food as well, and don't have an issue with that. The local staff onboard actually seemed surprised and complemented me on what I was trying.

However, what I was pointing out was that the choices are limited if at any time you don't want to take something different, or moreover there are any Western dishes and foods which you happen to like - the shock! I could equally respond and say Western travellers with a brand they are familiar with also expect staples of that brand to be consistent internationally. And that is the issue there.

While behavioural differences in passengers are apparent, my experience with the crew was the opposite - one of the best ever.

That said, they do have specific crew catering to Chinese speakers since they are the majority, so if you were trying to force a question there, you wouldn't get far. Conversely there are traditional crew onboard who haven't learnt Chinese, so would focus on the traditional customer base. I found the way the crew managed the divide very well done.

While behavioural differences in passengers are apparent, my experience with the crew was the opposite - one of the best ever.

That said, they do have specific crew catering to Chinese speakers since they are the majority, so if you were trying to force a question there, you wouldn't get far. Conversely there are traditional crew onboard who haven't learnt Chinese, so would focus on the traditional customer base. I found the way the crew managed the divide very well done.

Agree that most of the Chinese crew we were in contact with were polite very helpful. The Chinese passengers' behaviors were all over the place...but the behaviors were typical of their culture... you just kinda got used to it or planned around it... :cool: btw been on the Quantum for 64 nites...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion_Mom View Post

Why, yes, I am saying that, caribbean sailor. <and you can stop rolling your friggin' eyes at me>

Well i guess i will stop rolling my friggin eyes at you Merion Mom.

ROTFLMAO