La Rambla or Gothic Quarter

Hello, first timer to Barcelona.

I have the opportunity to stay at either The Grand Hotel Central on Via Laietana (gothic quarter) or Le Meridien on La Ramblas. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Just so you know the Le Meridien is right across the street almost from the Gothic Quarter so I would choose which of the hotels you like better. Le M is very nice..I have stayed there.

Just so you know the Le Meridien is right across the street almost from the Gothic Quarter so I would choose which of the hotels you like better. Le M is very nice..I have stayed there.

Thank you, Karen..We will stay at the Le Meredien.

We stayed at a hotel almost directly opposite Le Meridien and thought it looked very nice. It is also just up the street from the wonderful Boquera (??spelling) Markets.

We loved staying right on Las Ramblas. In fact, I spent many hours, quite late into the night, sitting at our open window enjoying the atmosphere and watching the fun.

We are definitely of the "older variety" of tourists, but we don't go to vibrant cities like Barcelona for peace and quiet - we have that at home !!!

We didn't stay on Las Ramblas our first time in Barcelona, so we didn't know what we missed. In October, we finally did and what a difference. It was so nice to just walk out of the hotel and be in the middle of everything. It was much quieter than I expected. I never head any noise in the hotel either. Having the Boqueria close is a real plus. Everything was so close and we were able to walk to most of the attractions.

• 2 months later...

Early last month we stayed at the Hotel Lleo on the Carrer de Pelai, one block from the Ramblas. We liked the hotel well enough, but didn't like the busy, touristy streets. Did not enjoy the crowds on the Ramblas and took every opportunity to slip into the side streets of the Bario or El Raval. Even a busy Tallers was much nicer than a half empty Ramblas.

In retrospect, I'd rather have had a hotel on one of those side streets. Next time we might look at the Hotel Reding or Hotel Ciutat Vella. Liked the look of both of those from the outside.