Just back from Reflection - Feb 20-27, 2016

bubbadogmom

We just got back from Reflection. I have been on a few cruises on different lines but I like Celebrity the best. It was my dads first cruise.

Basically we totally loved it. We were both not at our best (him recovering from broken foot, me with stomach issues (not contagious), but we made the best of it. Had great weather, food was great - prime rib on the first night in the MDR spoiled us!

I just finished my survey for Celebrity - gave them a lot of 10's because we really enjoyed it. Praised the room steward and our MDR waiter Ishmael ( who had the cutest laugh I've ever heard ;).

I did give them some criticisms - intended to be constructive hopefully. They were just little things - nothing that "ruined" our cruise of course, but things we noticed that maybe could be improved upon ( our opinions only of course), but maybe we aren't the only ones.

Anyhow - here's my 2 cents. Just curious if anyone shares my thoughts.

Will also answer any questions if anyone has any :)

These are just a few observations that we had wished were different.

With only the classic beverage package, we were completely excluded from the world class bar. We were told they could not serve us anything.

Although they tried hard - ocean view ran out of coffee cups on a frequent basis.

Waiters a little too eager to clear tables. We tried to ensure they understood we had not left by leaving personal items on table and full coffee and juice cups as we went to get food but on two occasions we came back and our drinks were gone. It was frustrating.

Music was based a little too much on current hits and too loud in open areas for the demographic of the ship.

More drink menus with lists of drinks and what is in them at each bar would be appreciated.

We noticed a large amount of Canadians on the cruise. I know that is common. We are also Canadian. One thing we were unable to get was a decent ceaser to drink. We were assured by the manager that it would be great and it was awful. It was almost translucent.

You need to use a larger glass, with much more Clamato juice ( not tomato), with a proper seasoned rim and less horseradish. We kept trying but they were all terrible. You can definitely easily improve on this. We would appreciate this.

Personally, we would have liked more than one choice of white rum. You had only Bacardi. We really like Captain Morgan but you only had it in spiced - not white.

You have tetley tea decaf but not regular - there is no regular plain orange pekoe tea. We had to bring our own teabags.... Lol

Blue lounge chair covers could use an update - looking faded and dated.

Maybe use a larger area for the games played in the entertainment court - there are never enough seats.

Would appreciate the hot tubs being open until 11pm, not 10, so those of us that go to the 9 o'clock show could still have a hot tub before bed.

The Zumba used to be on the pool deck and we loved it. It was very popular with at least 50 people attending every time.

It is now a pay 11$ and in the gym - and the instructor didn't really do Zumba - you could tell that she was primarily a fitness instructor that was told to do a Zumba class. It was very disappointing compared to the Zumba classes we had with Valentina. She was a real instructor and we LOVED IT. I was so disappointed that I cancelled attending the other 2 classes that were scheduled.

Again, we did love our cruise but wanted to mention a few things that would make it just that much better!!

Thank you!

(Pics of Maho Beach, the Solarium at night and the shrimp tempura at the new Sushi on 5 - you get a lot for $10!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app1a7fb0234a8dc99160de547c0dc975b2.jpgf267c2836e824365c8544f6ae9aa4ecf.jpge388cdc4660e4a12c22d71bd95d235a7.jpg

Edited by bubbadogmom

Thanks for the observations. We will be on the Reflection in November. Our first cruise on Celebrity was this past January ( Constellation ). We loved it which is why we opted for our upcoming cruise. Funny you should mention the

wait staff clearing drinks too soon. While this did not happen to us, we did hear people complain a few times that their drinks had been taken away while they were away from the table.

I agree with posting drinks that are available is important, at each bar.

But I definitely know what you mean about the music!!! I complained on my last comment card. I don't mind the music so much as it is WAY too loud. It is different if the crowd I loving it but we all were not and left. We love to dance and don't mind it if it is in the right venue.

We have friends on that cruise and still on it (B/B) said it was a little rocky the first two days.

Enjoy cruising!!!

I agree with posting drinks that are available is important, at each bar.

But I definitely know what you mean about the music!!! I complained on my last comment card. I don't mind the music so much as it is WAY too loud. It is different if the crowd I loving it but we all were not and left. We love to dance and don't mind it if it is in the right venue.

We have friends on that cruise and still on it (B/B) said it was a little rocky the first two days.

Enjoy cruising!!!

I heard a few other people mention that they thought it was rough too. I found that totally weird - but maybe I've just been unlucky [emoji848]

I've been on just over 10 cruises and I found it to be one of the smoothest I've ever been on!

My first was on Carnival Liberty and my mom and I were bouncing off the walls.....I'm glad we didn't quit cruising because of that. We just assumed that's how they would all be!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did an Eastern Caribbean.

San Juan was nice to just walk around the town, we didn't get into port until 330pm so things like the distillery and the forts closed before we had a chance to see them. There is a free trolley you can use but it ends at 6pm.

StMaartin was beautiful. We used Bernard's Tours - had the mailman as our guide - about 10 of us in a enclosed van. Free rum punch and beer. It was about 5 hours total and we got to see Maho beach ( the crazy airplane pic). We took a quick dip in the ocean. Then more scenery, a stop for lunch, and onto orient beach where we could get 2 chairs for $10 on a great beach. Then he dropped us back off at the ship. I highly recommend him, as do many on here.

St Thomas we did a ship excursion- 1/2 day catamaran. Nice cruise to St. John and snorkelling or lying on the beach for an hour or so. Free rum punch and light snacks.

Both excursions were great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is an awesome picture from Maho !! !! !! We have been there a couple times, but never on a day with the 747.

I am addicted to the latest webcam at mahobeachcam.com ...

mac_tlc

And that was just pure luck! Also really dangerous. We had just got there and were "hobbling" across the beach to the other side they said was "safe", when I saw a ton of people holding their phones and cameras up. I saw a plane on its way in fast - I had to yell at my dad - hobble faster!! (Healing from broken leg) - we just made it out of the really dangerous area and it was already on top of us! We got blasted by the sand but not as bad as if we were right in the middle, and had to close our eyes. I already had my camera out as I had been taking pics of the beach and I just pointed and clicked. I couldn't even see - I was so surprised I got that picture!!ImageUploadedByForums1456884190.250341.jpg.e4a7cf757cbb08ff05ae045c8cef7b6a.jpg

Thank you for the very comprehensive review. Could you provide any insight as to how the internet was functioning? Has it been upgraded to the Xcellerate speed yet or is it still frustratingly slow? Was there an additional charge to upgrade the speed and if so can you tell me how much it was?

Thank you!

I'm glad you like my comments :)

Internet. Yeah.......

I usually do get a small package and I looked into it - BUT - I didn't this time because of the pricing of the packages. It was advertised as the new upgraded speed but I only saw 3 options to buy. There was unlimited for the whole week for $175 (ish), something smaller that was around $100, or you could pay by the minute for $0.99!!!!!

Umm, no thanks.

I was hoping for something similar to what they had before like $40 for a small amount of minutes but there was nothing like that.

So, I can't comment on if it was faster because it was way too expensive for me.

I hope for those prices it is! [emoji3]

Edited by bubbadogmom

Just a couple more pics. Beach is at Maho. It is still not a lot of sandy area but much improved since it got washed away last year sometime.

Cabin was 9125 concierge - loved it.

Looking at the ship from the forts in San Juan.

ImageUploadedByForums1456887001.930323.jpg.fa4c9054b6e2c1740c5d6c25312237a3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1456886978.746592.jpg.0c0348a98d79e138e3e6d2ebbac297bb.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1456886991.148919.jpg.71c1820790ee925e7810ca8838bd739f.jpg

Edited by bubbadogmom

We are flying out to Miami tomorrow to join the reflection for 2 weeks on Saturday... [emoji16] glad you enjoyed it as we are very excited about the cruise!

Do you remember what time the big klm 747 came in at Mayo beach... We've been before but it was supper busy and only saw some smaller ones coming in...

Thanks for your info [emoji4]

Thanks for your review!

We'll be joining the Reflection very soon! [emoji4]

How long did you get at Maho Beach with Bernard's Tours? I know they have a really good reputation but would like to spend max time there to get a photo like yours!

The shrimp tempura looks good too.

We are going to have to buy the Internet package as we need to keep in touch with work [emoji17] the pain of being self employed!

We are flying out to Miami tomorrow to join the reflection for 2 weeks on Saturday... [emoji16] glad you enjoyed it as we are very excited about the cruise!

Do you remember what time the big klm 747 came in at Mayo beach... We've been before but it was supper busy and only saw some smaller ones coming in...

It is a little hard to read the lower entries, but that was what was coming in that day. We were there (same tour) for about an hour, but I think that was longer than usual since our driver had to return to our previous stop to retrieve a forgotten bag for someone, leaving us to enjoy many flights coming in and a few going out.

IMG_1013.jpg.e171b69816bdb81d643d7e9f491e83ff.jpg

Edited by Denham33

Thank you for the review. The Reflection and the Silhouette are my favorite cruiseships, with the Constellation being a close second.

DH and I were on the ill fated Oceania Riviera cruise that ended two days early in Miami on 2/20. As we were approaching port, we saw the Reflection (your cruise) sailing out of the harbour as the pilot boat was releasing her. My DH and I waved to the ship and turned to each other and said "wish we were/had been sailing on her." :(

Here are some bad photos that I took. ;)

IMG_1451.jpg.052073f67d30fe6c4d133cc766151e47.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg.6b2170d18c9d108f15e5be4b1778ecfa.jpg

That is an awesome picture from Maho !! !! !! We have been there a couple times, but never on a day with the 747.

I am addicted to the latest webcam at mahobeachcam.com ...

mac_tlc

That is pretty cool for a webcam I think you have me addicted to it playing in the background now too LOL

Go to sunsetsxm.com, which is the web site for the Sunset Bar and Brill at Maho Beach. Click under Flight Schedules and they have the entire schedule every day, both departures and arrivals.

According to the KLM website, the 747 only goes to St. Maarten three times a week, Tuesday, Thursday Saturday for the week I checked. It arrives at 12:35PM.

mac_tlc

That is pretty cool for a webcam I think you have me addicted to it playing in the background now too LOL

Turn on the mic, and the ATC (air traffic control) and its mesmerizing ..... at least to me .......

Oh, the water is pretty too...

mac_tlc

Thank you for the very comprehensive review. Could you provide any insight as to how the internet was functioning? Has it been upgraded to the Xcellerate speed yet or is it still frustratingly slow? Was there an additional charge to upgrade the speed and if so can you tell me how much it was?

Thank you!

On the Reflection, it was REAL slow on sea days. Slower than before. Painfully slow in the Computer Center. When in port, it was better. I believe the Xcellerate was like $7 more per day than the regular plan but not sure.