Monaco from Cannes during Grand Prix

momandherson

I will be in Cannes on Friday May 27th, during the Grand Prix. NCL is listing an excursion called "Highlights of Monaco and Nice" for that day, and I called to ask about it. The customer service agent did not have any further information, but I have read that no excursions will go to Monaco during the race days. As much as I'd love to see Monaco, I would hate to sign up and then deal with a last-minute cancellation on-board. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thank you!

We cannot predict what will happen with your tour (we never take tours in Europe as we just do our own thing). But race day in Monte Carlo is a very bad time for any tour. The Grand Prix actually goes through the regular streets which are set up with lots of barriers (to protect the cars and the crowds) and lined with Grandstands. Traffic comes to a halt on many streets and it is a mess if you are trying to move around town. Your tour might possibly be able to get into some parts of Monte Carlo, but we have our doubts. My advice would be to pose your question to the tour desk...as soon as you get an opportunity onboard.

We should also mention that Monte Carlo is actually a relatively small city which is hemmed in by mountains and the sea. As a result, the city does not have a lot of "main streets" and is a pretty congested place....even on normal days.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Your tour may be able to park in the Fontvieille side of Monaco and they might take you on foot to Monaco to see the Prince's Palace and the Oceanographic Museum. As to going to the Monte Carlo side and see any of the race, forget it. Traffic will be a nightmare and most of the streets will be closed. You will get views of the port and Monte Carlo in the distance from the Monaco side.

If by any chance your tour is in the afternoon, the streets reopen after 2 pm, but traffic will be horrid.

Here is the Grand Prix schedule:

http://www.monacograndprixticket.com/formula1monaco/grandprix/programme-gp.html

I was in Monaco last May and attended the Grand Prix.

Traffic will be very congested getting to and from the area and in the area.

You can certainly do the tour but just know the entire area will be crowded no matter where you go. Many people just visit and don't go to the Grand Prix so that is why all areas will be crowded.

If you do this I would go with the ships tour especially that time of year.

Keith

• 10 months later...

Looks like our cruise will be docking in Villefranche on the first day of the Grand Prix.

momandherson

I will be in Cannes on Friday May 27th, during the Grand Prix. NCL is listing an excursion called "Highlights of Monaco and Nice" for that day, and I called to ask about it. The customer service agent did not have any further information, but I have read that no excursions will go to Monaco during the race days. As much as I'd love to see Monaco, I would hate to sign up and then deal with a last-minute cancellation on-board. Has anyone had any experience with this?

1) Did the cruise ship actually have a tour to Monaco/Monte Carlo or did they cancel?

Keith1010

I was in Monaco last May and attended the Grand Prix.

Traffic will be very congested getting to and from the area and in the area.

You can certainly do the tour but just know the entire area will be crowded no matter where you go. Many people just visit and don't go to the Grand Prix so that is why all areas will be crowded.

If you do this I would go with the ships tour especially that time of year.

Keith

2) Is it even worth it to try to fight the cruise ship crowd + Grand Prix crowd to "sightsee" in Monaco or Monte Carlo?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!