Personal Cups

Yes, we always bring our preferred beverage cup.

Please use a Carnival cup to fill the ice and drinks from the dispensers. Apparently they need to make the signage larger or there is a great number of illiterate cruiser.

Carnival is only concerned about the passenger's cup touching the dispenser. If your cup sits below the falling cubes or liquid there is no possible contamination.

Carnival is only concerned about the passenger's cup touching the dispenser. If your cup sits below the falling cubes or liquid there is no possible contamination.

I was thinking about how people get all worked up over other people filling their own cups from the dispensers. How is that any different than getting a drink refill at a fast food eatery? You don't get a new cup at those places. Plus, I think you are correct in that there is no contamination without actually touching your cup to the dispensing spout itself.

I always take my 24 oz. Tervis and last cruise I purchased a Red Frog Pub 16 oz. Tervis. I loved that I could just give it to them for my Banana daiquiri. Best part was the daiquiri didn't melt as fast in the sun since it was in a Tervis. Wonder if I can get a Mocha Chocolate Getaway in one? My new favorite drink!

I always take my 24 oz. Tervis and last cruise I purchased a Red Frog Pub 16 oz. Tervis. I loved that I could just give it to them for my Banana daiquiri. Best part was the daiquiri didn't melt as fast in the sun since it was in a Tervis. Wonder if I can get a Mocha Chocolate Getaway in one? My new favorite drink!

IIRC they normally serve in a 12 oz glass, so did getting the Tervis also get you more?

IIRC they normally serve in a 12 oz glass, so did getting the Tervis also get you more?

Curious about this too.

We have a Blue Iguana Tervis and Red Frog Tervis.

Just wondering if they will fill these at the bars with 16oz because they are branded by Carnival or would we have to get a 12oz drink and pour it in?

I paid a bit more the first time for the actual drink in the Tervis. After that it was the same price and I can guarantee you that I had to drink some down to put the lid on.

I paid a bit more the first time for the actual drink in the Tervis. After that it was the same price and I can guarantee you that I had to drink some down to put the lid on.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear to complement my Cheers package.

I was thinking about how people get all worked up over other people filling their own cups from the dispensers. How is that any different than getting a drink refill at a fast food eatery? You don't get a new cup at those places. Plus, I think you are correct in that there is no contamination without actually touching your cup to the dispensing spout itself.

It's not Carnival's concern, it is the USPH's concern, and their guidelines that Carnival has to adhere to. Your local McD's does not need to meet the stringent USPH requirements.

And there is contamination without touching the dispensing spout. If it is the type where your glass presses on the dispensing lever, there is a possibility that the part of your glass that touches the lever has touched your mouth. There could be transfer from your cup to the lever, and from the lever to the next cup that touches the lever. USPH does not make exceptions for covered cups with built in straws, or things like that.

I guess I've watched far to many 20/20 undercover type shows where they show the hotel rooms being cleaned...after that I never use an in room glass or coffee pot. If it's a plastic cup sealed in plastic wrapper then yes I will use it! :D We do take our Tervis with us each trip!

It's not Carnival's concern, it is the USPH's concern, and their guidelines that Carnival has to adhere to. Your local McD's does not need to meet the stringent USPH requirements.

And there is contamination without touching the dispensing spout. If it is the type where your glass presses on the dispensing lever, there is a possibility that the part of your glass that touches the lever has touched your mouth. There could be transfer from your cup to the lever, and from the lever to the next cup that touches the lever. USPH does not make exceptions for covered cups with built in straws, or things like that.

Thank you chengkp75. If the Carnival went to the trouble to put the sign there perhaps we should follow the recommendations. I bet those on ships with the recent noro outbreaks wonder how they picked up that pesky virus.

Okay, guess I am stupid, but it is not against the law to be stupid. I don't know what IIRC means? Also, I do know most beers served are 16 oz. So are you talking about just mixed or frozen drinks? We always bring on some sort of covered tumbler, but, not necessarily insulated. Usually just for water in the room. We also buy Cheers!, so wonder if maybe should get the "better" cups, such as Tervis would pay off if you actually get more served in it?:confused:

Okay, guess I am stupid, but it is not against the law to be stupid. I don't know what IIRC means? Also, I do know most beers served are 16 oz. So are you talking about just mixed or frozen drinks? We always bring on some sort of covered tumbler, but, not necessarily insulated. Usually just for water in the room. We also buy Cheers!, so wonder if maybe should get the "better" cups, such as Tervis would pay off if you actually get more served in it?:confused:

If I Recall Correctly.

Does carnival allow passengers to bring their own cups and use them on board? I have my yeti tumbler that I just love and was wanting to bring it along for the ride.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes we always bring ours.

I love your posts - I've learned so much from them. Thanks for the detailed explanations you provide. (Now if only I could remember everything.) I get that germs could also be transferred from the lever, but do you know anything about this one? I remember seeing a post saying that germs were transferred when the beverage hit the bottom of your cup and caused the germs to get on the spout. That made me scratch my head a little. So why do buffets & fast food restaurants not have the same USPH requirements? I would think it would be the same for all.

I love your posts - I've learned so much from them. Thanks for the detailed explanations you provide. (Now if only I could remember everything.) I get that germs could also be transferred from the lever, but do you know anything about this one? I remember seeing a post saying that germs were transferred when the beverage hit the bottom of your cup and caused the germs to get on the spout. That made me scratch my head a little. So why do buffets & fast food restaurants not have the same USPH requirements? I would think it would be the same for all.

I've never heard of cross-contamination caused by beverages splashing.

You have to understand that restaurants on shore are governed by local and state health codes, not a federal code. The USPH's mandate is to prevent the introduction of infectious diseases into the US, not necessarily to protect the health of passengers while cruising. To do this, USPH has the legal right to board and interview (medically) every crew member and every passenger that has been outside the US, every time the ship enters the US. To keep from doing this, which would be prohibitively costly and cause incredible delays to cruise ships, the USPH and the cruise industry have agreed to implement the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), so that if a ship follows the construction and operation guidelines, the USPH will only do periodic, random inspections. Because the USPH is a division of the CDC, they apply their own expertise in epidemiology to the VSP. Most USPH inspectors are former health inspectors, and they will tell you that they will eat on cruise ships far more readily than at local restaurants.

Does carnival allow passengers to bring their own cups and use them on board? I have my yeti tumbler that I just love and was wanting to bring it along for the ride.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can confirm..yes they do. HOWEVER (as a person in the food service industry who can get easily squicked out by people doing gross things around food and beverage dispensers) I highly recommend you use one of THEIR provided cups to fill YOUR cup with.

On our last cruise, several times I saw a man with a giant Bubba Keg stick his cup right up under the spout to dispense ice or drinks. I don't know if his cup was clean or not, which kinda made me make this face:eek:.

We carried on our own cups (we had one Carnival tumbler and a double walled cup with a lid and straw that I received as a Christmas gift from my employer) and I always used one of the smaller cups to fill up our cups with ice, etc which..from my understanding at least..is what you're SUPPOSED to do anyway.

I've had a glass fall in rough seas more than once.

I take my magic mug. It hold 2.5 cups of coffee in the morning, lemonade at lunch, then it magically turns into bourbon.

When boarding your cup must be empty.

If I might ask, what exactly is a magic mug? Could you post a picture?